Outragous Electricty Bill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stowaway

Reaction score
I just got my electricty Bill. It was $600 for the quarter!! Unbeleiveable. Can anyone help narrow down the costs for me. ive got these costs off the net..

I have: 46" Samsung LCD, 300Litre 4.5star rating fridge,500Litre Beer fridge,3 Computers, 26" Samsung LCD, Wine Fridge

Its a lot of electrical stuff but it should not be near that price for a townhouse!

I just got my electricty Bill. It was $600 for the quarter!! Unbeleiveable. Can anyone help narrow down the costs for me. ive got these costs off the net..

I have: 46" Samsung LCD, 300Litre 4.5star rating fridge,500Litre Beer fridge,3 Computers, 26" Samsung LCD, Wine Fridge

Its a lot of electrical stuff but it should not be near that price for a townhouse!

I know the 500l fridge uses $150 a YEAR and the 300l uses $70 a year.

could it be the beer fridge ? lcd don't use too much juice.

do you have air con? fans, heaters? etc

My winter quarter was just shy of $700 but I use electricity for heating and I have two teenagers :huh: .

cheers

grant

Yep ours is up around the $600 mark this quater. I looked at the rates...there was a price increase during the quarter (right near the start). This jump increased the bill by $70 from memory on its own.

The Department of Mines and Energy has developed an online energy calculator to help you estimate the costs of your household electricity use. Use the calculator to discover where you are using the most electricity in your home and find out ways to save money on your energy bills.

http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/Energy/energywise_calculator.cfm

looks like it might not nail it 100% but better than nothing? give this a whirl mate :)

Don't move to NZ, they just put the electricity up by 12%. Last three months would equal $650 and we use fire for heating....

we had the same thing go down, we pay $90 per month for our electricity and when we moved house they tried to slam us with an additional $600 for additional power and what not, for one 1/4, i'm having it investigated because thats insane considering we use gas for stoves, hot water and heating.

yeah mine was outrageous also. our last quater was ~$580 and it normaly about $180. dodgy stuff.

even Tho the tag says my 500l freezer should only use 900khz a year (thats roughly $150) i think it may to be to blame.

im upgrading to a Chest freezer. this will be the 3rd Beer fridge in 5 months.

even Tho the tag says my 500l freezer should only use 900khz a year (thats roughly $150) i think it may to be to blame.

im upgrading to a Chest freezer. this will be the 3rd Beer fridge in 5 months.
What are you on about? 900khz a year Khz is kiloHertz which is the number thousands of cycles per second
Do you mean kwh or kilo watt hours, i.e. the number of kilowatts drawn x the number of hours it is running. This kind of equates to how much petrol a year your car uses. For a 1/4 you would use about 225kwhs. There should be a tariff on you bill in cents per kwh. The maths is easy after that.

Beer fridge, fermenting fridge, food fridge, small bar fridge, small ice cream freezer, electric stove, 3 computers (generally 2 run all the time), 80cm CRT TV and electric HLT, ~$180 for last quarter and the meter ain't that old.

What are you on about? 900khz a year Khz is kiloHertz which is the number thousands of cycles per second
Do you mean kwh or kilo watt hours, i.e. the number of kilowatts drawn x the number of hours it is running. This kind of equates to how much petrol a year your car uses. For a 1/4 you would use about 225kwhs. There should be a tariff on you bill in cents per kwh. The maths is easy after that.

yeah your right. Sorry. Too Much Computer on my brain.
I ment 900Kw/a (900 Kilowatts per annum) my electricty is 16.67 cents per kw therefor its rounded up to $150 a year.

Beer fridge, fermenting fridge, food fridge, small bar fridge, small ice cream freezer, electric stove, 3 computers (generally 2 run all the time), 80cm CRT TV and electric HLT, ~$180 for last quarter and the meter ain't that old.

This is why im so pissedoff. It doesnt add up to me. I have the highest amount of all my friends and i only have a small place.

Make sure someone isn't steal it for hydroponic uses ( tomatoes of course )

most folk were hit with big bills this quarter because the two previous quarters were speculative or under estimated figures by the energy providers. This time around they apparently did things differently hence why myself ($500.00) and everyone else got slugged. Or so i read in the paper recently!?

Back