Our Trip To Australia Is Planned!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss brew

Reaction score
Well, we finally have made all of our plans for our trip. We arrive in Perth on June 18th, work the trade show the 21st - 23rd, and head to Sydney on the 27th. We're staying in Sydney (Manly actually) until the 2nd. Any Homebrew/Beer events in Perth or Sydney? It would be great to meet some homebrewers, see their brew rigs and hoist a pint or 2!

On a side note, is it possible to bring homebrew into Australia in our luggage? Or do we have to ship it ahead of time?

Cheers!
Dave

Well, we finally have made all of our plans for our trip. We arrive in Perth on June 18th, work the trade show the 21st - 23rd, and head to Sydney on the 27th. We're staying in Sydney (Manly actually) until the 2nd. Any Homebrew/Beer events in Perth or Sydney? It would be great to meet some homebrewers, see their brew rigs and hoist a pint or 2!

On a side note, is it possible to bring homebrew into Australia in our luggage? Or do we have to ship it ahead of time?

Cheers!
Dave

Hope you have a good time! Here is a link to the Australian Customs webpage, it should have some info on bringing in beer. http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4258.asp

Don't forget to bring a ski coat or two (or better still just buy when you get here, clothes are cheap ex-China in exchange for all that coal and ore :lol: ) because Sydney can get as cold as Charity in July when the Antarctic busters blow up that way. Couple of good watering holes in Manly and quite a few brewer members on the Northern Beaches there. Wish I could get down that way myself. Have a few coldies for me :beerbang:

Also don't just go the tourist stuff like the Opry house and the zoo, If you are interested in history and how other peoples live, go for a walking trip / pub crawl round some of the inner suburbs such as Paddington or Surry Hills and cut through the Colonial-era back streets, there are places there that you will be pinching yourself to believe you are actually in Aw-Stray-lya, not a kangaroo or cork hat in sight. :rolleyes: Old Sydney has a heap of charm.

colonial_1.JPG

On a side note, is it possible to bring homebrew into Australia in our luggage? Or do we have to ship it ahead of time

Alcohol not in retail packaging is classified as dangerous goods, and can't be carried by air (At least that's the case with Australian Airlines). May pay to check with your airline before travelling.

Bottle bombs in the cabin due to the associated pressure changes certainly not ideal!

Cheers,

Bumma.

Hey BribieG,
Thanks for the tips. We always try to stay off the beaten path when we travel, but we will have to check out some of the famous spots! I'm hoping that we can find some interesting places away from the cities.

Bumma,
You've made me think that I should try filling some commercial bottles with the labels still on them. Might have to pay duty taxes, but it's worth it I think! As far as bottle bombs, I've packed beer in my luggage many times without any problems. I just wrap clothes around them and keep them away from the edge of the suitcase. I do miss the pre 9/11 days when you could put beer in your carry-on luggage!

Cheers,
Dave

Commercial bottles are probably a good idea, keep them all in the same bottle style and in the carry box, so it looks like the real deal.

From memory of returning to Australia after my last few OS holidays, there's a maximum limit of 2 llitres you can bring in. After that the exise is pretty hefty. Don't know about the USA, but in Australia the tax on alcohol (and cigarettes) is ridiculously high. It cold work out that if you bring beer over, you might end up paying more to get them in than what you would pay back home for a commercial beer.

Off topic for a moment... how much is a decent micro brew for a single bottle ? To give you an idea, over here, local (ie not imported) micro beer starts at around $5.00 AUD a bottle.

And Manly will work out great for a beer lover. I can speculate now that you'll be spending some time at the 4-Pines Bar, where they serve their own fantastic brews. There's also a Bavarian Beer Cafe there too, so you will have a hard time peeling yourself away from Manly

I think you should be right bringing homebrew. How much were you planning on bringing? I brought about 12L to USA to share at the NHC. Didn't even have to lie on the declaration cos there wasn't a question about alcohol, only about the value of my goods. I said $0, got caught up in a conversation with a fellow Customs Officer about hating our jobs and waltzed straight through.

In Australia, you have to answer the question about being over 2L of alcohol. But if you tick yes and then tell the officer you have some homebrew beer, you should be right. Too much paperwork and hassle to work out the alcohol % in the first place. 12L might be pushing it, but you'll get away with a few bottles.

In a side note, I'm planning on bringing a fair few growlers back from the States. But if I get pulled up for duty I'll pay it.

Cheers!
Dave

Hey Dave

I brought 5 x 500ml bottles back from a brewing course in the UK. They were just wrapped up in my luggage. From memory they were not allowed in your "carry on" luggage.

Cheers

Commercial bottles are probably a good idea, keep them all in the same bottle style and in the carry box, so it looks like the real deal.

From memory of returning to Australia after my last few OS holidays, there's a maximum limit of 2 llitres you can bring in. After that the exise is pretty hefty. Don't know about the USA, but in Australia the tax on alcohol (and cigarettes) is ridiculously high. It cold work out that if you bring beer over, you might end up paying more to get them in than what you would pay back home for a commercial beer.

Off topic for a moment... how much is a decent micro brew for a single bottle ? To give you an idea, over here, local (ie not imported) micro beer starts at around $5.00 AUD a bottle.

And Manly will work out great for a beer lover. I can speculate now that you'll be spending some time at the 4-Pines Bar, where they serve their own fantastic brews. There's also a Bavarian Beer Cafe there too, so you will have a hard time peeling yourself away from Manly

Well, we just want to bring some in to share with local brewers and homebrewers, so if it costs a little, oh well! I've heard that local beers are pretty expensive. Here we pay about $2.00 US per bottle, but local stores carry sixers of micro for $6.00 and up. Pints at a local brewpub cost around $4.00 or $5.00, with happy hours around $2.50 a pint.

I've got a list of places to try in both Perth and Sydney. It's a good thing my wife likes beer! She's even brewed a few batches, and runs several homebrew comps in the area. Can't wait!

And Josh,
Are you going to the NHC in June? I've never been to the NHC, abut we got to tag along with a brewer friend at the GABF last fall. Quite a time!

Cheers,
Dave

Cheers!
Dave

As always visitors are too early or two late to beer events. The next two significant gathering of brewers in Sydney is July 17 (ESB competition) and 24th (Xmas In July Case Swap). I'd recommend when you get to Sydney, plan a session at the 4 Pines in Manly and a session at either or both the Lord Nelson or Harts and see which of the Sydney boys can drop in for a jar or seven. Been done with success before!

The duty free alcohol limit is 2.25L per person of any form of alcohol. After that you pay duty on the whole amount you are over the limit. The duty is around the $40 per liter of pure ethanol above 1.15% ABV. So, a 12oz bottle of 6% beer will run you about A$0.70 in duty. From what I've seen, you can get away with a little bit over that.

Good gracious, you guys can get a six pack for the same prices as it costs us for a single bottle !

You will enjoy Sydney, there are great beer houses popping up all over the place lately. Seems to be a new fashionable trend, one that will hopefully wean a percentage of people off the megabrews.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but if both you and your wife split the beers, you could have those 2.25L each...

Cheers

The duty free alcohol limit is 2.25L per person of any form of alcohol. After that you pay duty on the whole amount you are over the limit. The duty is around the $40 per liter of pure ethanol above 1.15% ABV. So, a 12oz bottle of 6% beer will run you about A$0.70 in duty. From what I've seen, you can get away with a little bit over that.

A little trick I do; throw in a box of chocolates or a packet of nuts etc into your hand carry-on luggage. Then on your incoming passenger form you tick "Yes I have goods to declare"

When you go into the separate 'goods to declare' line at customs, they ask you if you have any food, you pull out your chocolates, and they wave you straight through. The x-ray never seems to pick up the half a dozen bottles of spirits I have in my suitcase ;)

So, I guess that life is like a box of chocolates! (Forest Gump)!

And yes, we will both bring 2.25l

Local micros (N.CA) are pretty reasonable. Boutique single beers (750ml) like Oaked A.*******, Firestone XII, and others can cost $15 to $20 a bottle or more, and imports can get pretty pricey, including yours! I must admit that the Coopers Stout is an excellent beer...

Hopefully we'll be able to get together with some homebrewers in both Perth and Sydney.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave

Let us know what you are up to when in Perth and I'll try to join you for a drink. Where's the trade show being held?

The show is the SPWLA - Well log analysts type stuff. My wife's company makes printers for rigs and trucks...pretty dry, but it takes us to interesting places!

We have free time on 6/18, 6/19, 6/20, 6/24, 6/25 and 6/26. Then we go to Sydney.

We think that we'll be able to bring some homebrew with us :D

Dave

I thought it was you pay duty on the whole amount IF you are over the limit? ie if you bring in 3L, you pay duty on 3L, not 0.75L

Latest posts

Back