Orange Peel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger mellie

Defender of the WW - Scars to prove it.
Reaction score
A question about Wit

After trying Rossco's Wit - thought I would have a go at one myself.

Its cloudy, white, spicy, tasty, lacy head ... All good.

But I cant get no Orange. Which was IMHO the endearing factor of Ross's.

35 gms of munched up Coriander seeds
35 gms of dried (sort of candied) zest of Navel Orange.

Both added with 5 mins to go.

What is everyone else using for Orange flavor? Keen to find out because everything else about the beer wants me to make it again - reckon it would be the perfect summers day cool down ale.

Thanks

RM

Maybe try adding the zested orange rind after the boil? <_<

I've not tried it...just an idea :beer:

PZ.

What do you mean by orange taste? To my taste the citrusy fresh taste in a wit actually comes from the coriander seed, as long as you grind up fresh whole seeds. Have a sniff of the original ingedients, chew on some coriander seed and peel, to get a feel for what you are looking for in the beer, the peel contributes more bitterness than anything.

What is everyone else using for Orange flavor? Keen to find out because everything else about the beer wants me to make it again - reckon it would be the perfect summers day cool down ale.

Thanks

RM

Half of freshly zested orange is meant to be a good substitute. I used a bit over a whole orange and found it to much. I also heard mandarin is mean to go very well with the coriander, I will be giving it ago with my next wit.

Thanks

RM

Half of freshly zested orange is meant to be a good substitute. I used a bit over a whole orange and found it to much. I also heard mandarin is mean to go very well with the coriander, I will be giving it ago with my next wit.

Again, I know nothing about adding orange flavour to beer, but I love mandarins.

There are two types, one has a very tight skin and the other very loose...the rind of the "loose" variety is fairly neutral in flavour (at least to my tastes) and not at all sour or zesty or whatever you want to call it, so don't use that one :beerbang:

PZ.

I recently brewed a wheat kinda beer, I zested 2 oranges and steeped it in some water with the coriander before throwing it in. Seemes to taste OK at bottling stage, but it's not ready to drink yet.

What do you mean by orange taste? To my taste the citrusy fresh taste in a wit actually comes from the coriander seed, as long as you grind up fresh whole seeds. Have a sniff of the original ingedients, chew on some coriander seed and peel, to get a feel for what you are looking for in the beer, the peel contributes more bitterness than anything.

Apologies to Rossco for what I am aboot to say - although he shouldnt be offended.

His Wit smelt like mouldy oranges - smell only - which leapt out of the glass - the more than excessive head on the beer had a wonderful zesty (albeit off) smell of citrus fruits. Which I have had in Belgian Beers before (in Bruges) and so thats the flavour (more aroma) im looking to recreate. Bitter - yes I agree - but a heavy citrus fell aswell.

The spice characters were obvious - the coriander taste was subtle but evident.

And I tried it BEFORE the Lucy Lupulin BTW.

RM

Again, I feel the need to intercede.

I have made a few Witbiers, and I find that the orangey flavour derives from the freshly crushed coriander.

In my Wits, I use some freshly zested orange (Valencia) and fresh crushed (not ground) coriander seed in the boil (15 miin), and again at flameout.

I like the flavour this produces, and find it to be fairly authentic.

Regarding mandarin rind, I find it too much, as to be out-of-style. Some may like it, and that's fine, for drinking purposes. Just don't try to get a mandarin Wit past me if I'm judging. I'll rate the beer down, coz it's nothing like the intended Wit flavour .

Beerz 2 all
Seth :p

I've done a couple of Wits with moderate success. Couldn't find glaced or dry orange peel so zested a valencia orange - also added crushed corainder seed. Seemed to work OK.

Don't put the orange peel in any plastic containers. I left it in the plastic cradle of my brand new scales. Acid from the peel ate into the clear plastic. Looks awful now.

cheers

maybe try it for a bit longer than 5 min from flame-out, 15 min ?

yard

Again, I feel the need to intercede.

I have made a few Witbiers, and I find that the orangey flavour derives from the freshly crushed coriander.

In my Wits, I use some freshly zested orange (Valencia) and fresh crushed (not ground) coriander seed in the boil (15 miin), and again at flameout.

I like the flavour this produces, and find it to be fairly authentic.

Regarding mandarin rind, I find it too much, as to be out-of-style. Some may like it, and that's fine, for drinking purposes. Just don't try to get a mandarin Wit past me if I'm judging. I'll rate the beer down, coz it's nothing like the intended Wit flavour .

Beerz 2 all
Seth :p

Thanks for the help guys

OK - more boil for the Coriander next time. I must admit to pulverising the seeds pretty well - I brought 2 types from the supermarket - one type had almost no flavour but smelt coriander(ish) the other smelt more pungent - so I used that one. Might try the local asian supermarket.

Has anyone tried fresh coriander?

RM

roger,
you need seville orange i.e. proper marmalade oranges. these need to be peeled like an apple, without taking of to much pith i.e you want a long coil with plenty of surface area so this can be hung to dry, at least a week. coriander gives sweet citrus aroma, the peel is an adjunct to the coriander providing bitter orange smell rather than aroma. use your nose as a guide prior to adding. five miutes prior to end of boil gives mostly aroma, ten will give slightly less aroma but more flavour and some mouth feel. hope this helps.
cheers

For my last wit I used the zest of two naval oranges and because I couldn't find any seville oranges I zested one grapefruit as well. During fermentation it smelt like orange juice through the air lock!! I tried a bottle this weekend after two weeks in the bottle and the orange is very prominent, probably to much. I'm hoping it will mellow out with some aging. I have used two seville oranges in the past with good results.

As to fresh corriander, I have used it 50/50 with crushed corriander seed and gave the beer a very fresh, almost "green", taste to it. I have since heard that using green herbs in a beer can give it undesirable minty taste. I would stick to freshly crushed corriander seeds.

Kieren

Where do you get the Seville Oranges from ?? I can only ever find Navel's

For my last wit I used the zest of two naval oranges and because I couldn't find any seville oranges I zested one grapefruit as well. During fermentation it smelt like orange juice through the air lock!! I tried a bottle this weekend after two weeks in the bottle and the orange is very prominent, probably to much.
Kieren

Kieren
how long in the boil was it ?

cheers

For my last wit I used the zest of two naval oranges and because I couldn't find any seville oranges I zested one grapefruit as well. During fermentation it smelt like orange juice through the air lock!! I tried a bottle this weekend after two weeks in the bottle and the orange is very prominent, probably to much.
Kieren

Kieren
how long in the boil was it ?

cheers

When I used seville oranges, purchased at the adelaide central markets, I put them in the boil for 15mins.

With my latest batch using naval oranges, it was about 5-7 mins.

Can't recall if this has been mentioned above, but I was under the impression that the orange peel was taken from green (unripened) oranges.

I've done a few Wits and have mostly used mandarin zest (ripe) and from memory about 30g dried (which is a fair bit).

Also, a little tip from Vlad the Pale Aler - add a little clove. I've used 6 clove seeds (?) and ground those with the Corriander, it adds a nice complexity to the citrusy taste.

We used the zest of 6 oranges in a xmas ale we let it simmer in a grain bag for about 1/2 hour than tosed out the zest. I think we could have used a bit more.

Latest posts

Back