Adding orange peel/zest to secondary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
I have attempted a Wit for the first time with a little coriander and orange zest added in the last 10 of the boil. It has been fermenting for 9 days(Forbidden Fruit yeast) and is very happily chugging along. Tastes a little "peppery" but can't detect the orange. Suggestions on when and how much zest/peel to add to balance the coriander??

Peter.

Typically a dry weight of around 15g at 5 minutes before flameout. Various oranges will give different results. I just use the dried bitter peel these days. Good results.

Edit: Doing a 5 minute steep and French pressing some dry peel will give it a nice lift.
Martin

I haven't added any to secondary but if you do make sure you remove any white pith from the peel,it can potentially impart bad flavours. Also you might want to dunk it in boiling water to try and remove any micro nasties.

I'd say yes, but make sure it's been given a short boil for 5 minutes first.

French pressing will work fine if you've got one. 250ml boiling water, wait 5 minutes, plunge and pour into fermenter.

Martin

Back