Recipe and method check please.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brzt6060

Reaction score
I have started planning my next beer and would like some opinions on the recipe and method, this will be the furthest I have stepped from kit and kilo.
I'm not sure if I'm being over zealous for my 3rd brew.
I'm also aiming not to have to use a secondary but if you more expert home brewers feel the beer would benefit from it then I guess its better to learn to do it now rather than later.

I'm aiming to create a tangy but crisp beer with a zesty / fruity aroma.

Extract:
I'm think either "Coopers Australian Pale Ale" or "Coopers Canadian Blond" or "MSB Summer Wheat Beer".
Plus
1 can of coopers light liquid malt extract unhoped.

I have never tried steeping grains before but I'm think 500g of malted oats steeped in 2l of water about 70c for 60 minutes and then sparged with 1l of 70c water.
Followed by a 60 Minute boil with the following additions:
60 Minute 20g Hallertau Pellets
5 Minute 50g freshly zested orange or mandarin peel, being careful not to collect any of the white part.
0 Minute 10g Amarillo
0 Minute 10g Galaxy

After 4 to 5 days of fermentation add the following:
50g freshly zested orange or mandarin peel, being careful not to collect any of the white part.
12g crushed coriander seed.
Ferment for a further 4 to 6 days (until the FG is stable) before cold crashing and adding finings.

Yeast: Either S-04 or Safbrew T-58 or S-33

I have punched most of this into the spreadsheet and it looks good but I can't figure out how to added orange zest or coriander seed...

hey pal. sounds like you are going along the lines for a belgian wit.
I haven't made on before so cant really give you much guidance on this sorry. best bet is to look through the recipie section or use the forum search function, but you probably have had a go at this anyway.

Sometimes i transfer to secondary, to get the beer off the yeast and trub, but I only really bother when im going to lager for 4 weeks or so at a low temp. letting the beer sit on the yeast cake for a couple of weeks isn;t really that detrimental in my opinion. transferring it into another vessel just adds an unnecessary step (can be a pain in the arse) and the chance that you could infect your brew. However with solid sanitation techniques, this isn't too much of a problem.

Orange peel isn't in the spreadsheet, but you can add it.
Just goto the adj sheet and add a line in the middle somewhere and put it in. Use zero for each of the values. It wont add anything to the calculations, but it will let you record it as an ingredient if you save the recipe.

Have fun

[SIZE=10.5pt]Does any one have any suggestions on how to sanitise the crushed [/SIZE]coriander seed? I thought about putting it in a pot with a small amount of water and boiling it till all the water is gone but I'm guessing I will lose most of the flavour doing this?

As for the zest will freezing over night be enough?

A couple of options for the coriander ~
  • Put it in the end of the boil (latent heat pasteurises it)
  • Put it in towards the end of fermentation (the alcohol in the beer will inhibit any mould/bacteria)

Hmm, same goes with the zest too.

Edit: Latent !Latest.

Your recipe (which ever kit you go with) seems like you're straddling the lines of an American style Belgian Pale. It's sort of a hybrid.

American hops late (both the fact that they're 'fruity' and added late in the boil is an American thing) but with a light base, T58 or S33 (I love T58 - at 21 degrees lovely bubblegum esters happen) and orange zest is very Belgique.

Not sure about the oats. I would be thinking about steeping - for half an hour, maybe some red wheat for colour or if you don't want too much colour, maybe some wheat malt (must be steeped at 65-70 degrees for about half an hour and then boiled).

Might I suggest as a 'left of field' option for this - some rye, just to give it a little spice?

All suggestions of course, but welcome to the fun world of brewing. Tweaking becomes full blown recipe creation in no time.

To sanitise the orange peel I would steam it for 10 minutes (that way you don't boil away the flavour) or soak in a shot or two of vodka for a few days (add the vodka to your beer too so you don't miss out on any flavours)

Whenever you use coriander for anything you should always toast it in a dry frying pan for a few minutes, it multiplies the flavour by about a billion (maybe more) and makes it much more awesomer, the bonus would be the heat from the toasting process would do a good job of killing any nasties. Just make sure you use a dry pan (ie no oil)

Latest posts

Back