Orange/Mandarin Peel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug2232

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am going to knock up a Belgium Saison this weekend, just wondering when is the best time to add the peel?

A few recipes ive based mine on has it added at the start of the boil and other 10 from the end. If so do you leave the peel during fermenting?

Also a few dont have it in the boil at all and add when dry hopping.

I dont want it to over power but do want that hint of orange throughout.

Cheers for any experience you guys have.

Doug

In the wit's and a tangerine porter I've made I have added 7.5g in the last 10 minutes of boil and 2.5g to the cube ( nochill) of either dried orange/ mandarin/tangerine and this gives a nice subtle profile. This amount is for a single batch, @ 20l finished.
I'd be reluctant to dry peel for fear of infection, could soak in vodka or something to counter that possibly.

seamad said:
I'd be reluctant to dry peel for fear of infection, could soak in vodka or something to counter that possibly.
Wouldnt any possible infection be boiled off if added during boil?

Alternatly i could boil in water for a few minutes and kill of any microbes

I'll be adding it to my chocolate ale this time after fermentation. For a 20lt batch: Fresh rind of 1 orange Soaked in vodka for a few days with a Habanero. Added to keg, or gently added to primary before bottling. Its great to make a tincture like this and experiment by adding a touch to a glass of beer to get the idea of the flavor character it will have.

Doug2232 said:
Wouldnt any possible infection be boiled off if added during boil?

Alternatly i could boil in water for a few minutes and kill of any microbes
The stuff in the boil is fine, I was referring to dry peeling direct into fermenter.

Ok added the peel for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Left the peel in the fermenter.

Smell is ******* amazing and its only been 24 hours.

Smell non existent now. Friggin cold has blocked my smell and taste!! Assume she is alright.

This is cooking. Beer is really tricky in flavors. I taste my brews pre ferment, during ferment and everything after and its such a shame to see/ taste a good character that then Fade's away with fermentation, then coldness/c02 etc. Keep pondering, -_-

I reckon more likely to be the cold, orange seems pretty persistent to me. It's always better to be underdone cf over the top anyway.

Latest posts

Back