Optimum boil and options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalGiraffe

Reaction score
I know this topic has been raised in numerous posts but I'm yet to find the answer/solution.

I have a 50L stainless keggle and I was using a 3 ring gas burner that struggled to provide a rolling boil (This was done outside as I don't trust myself in a garage full of dry timber).

I've just installed a KK 2200w element and I ran a test yesterday with approx 35litres of water. Should I expect a vigorous boil with this element? If so what should I be doing to maintain it? I have a foam yoga mat and windscreen sun shield to use as insulation for my mash but will this help to maintain a bigger boil?

Would upping to a 2400 5Star element provide the vigorous boil or will this only be achieved by having a 15amp power point installed and running a 3600 element?

Finally do I need a vigorous boil or is a soft rolling boil sufficient? I guess this is my main question.

I think QLDKev has some sort of element size calculator on his website.

From personal experience: 15a was fine for double batches (starting 50L or so) when the kettle was well insulated. 22/23A is much much better :D... Current setup easily copes with 76L pre-boil with no insulation.

Ed. A volcanic boil is not needed, but a decent rolling boil is... If it is only just simmering away it will take a while to get down to your target volume and you *may* have trouble driving off compounds such as DMS.

I just installed a couple of 5 star in a 70L craft brewer pot. One 2400W and one 3600w. Use both for getting to the boil and the 3600 for maintaining the rage. I find that the 2400 in that pot is a bit underwhelming. May have something to do with the surface area, your 50l is smaller.

Can recommend both 5 star units and one option you have is adding another 2400/2200w and running off two 10amp circuits, you might need an extension lead.

Personally if you have a 15amp outlet, go big!

Your problem with the 3 ring burner would have most likely been due to using a standard BBQ regulator
You REALLY need to change them over to an adjustable pressure regulator to get the most out of them

I found 2400w perfect for a 50l keggle and 5 star have a great reputation on their gear.

Cheers for taking the time to respond guys. I think I'll get a 15A circuit put in just to future proof it and make do with the 2200w one for now. The 5 Star elements do look super tidy.

Sp0rk I thought that might be the case and wasn't really liking the idea of messing about with regulators. I can do less damage with electricity.... maybe.

I've owned 2400w urns since I started all grain brewing, and they are flat out giving a vigorous boil, but handle a rolling one ok, with less than 30L of wort. If you are going to use a bigger keggle for double batches etc, 2200 isn't going to cut it.

I use one of these with my 3 ring burner and a 70L pot for 40L batches.
img_0027.jpg

It maintains a gentle rolling boil with an evap rate of 10%.
Its helped along by a flame guard (two stainless flip-top kitchen bin outers clipped together around the pot) to act as a wind-shield and a type of flue to funnel the heat up around the pot.
Electrical is probably more convenient but this solution works for me.

I'm using 2400w to boil single batches (33-35l) the boil isnt crazy but it is good enough to lose 7l in an hour....

OK I've just done a second test boil for an hour. The temp here in Hobart was a bit cooler tonight (16degrees) than the last time I ran a test. I'm assuming with it only going to get colder over the coming months that this will have an impact of sorts on my ability to boil?

I started with 30L and finished with 23L in my fermenter and 2L left in the bottom of the keggle. This is a 5L/h boil off, is this normal?

I've hopefully embedded a link to a video of my boil, as you can see it's not very vigorous but more of a soft roll I would call it. It seems a little larger when the sun is shining and its mid 20's.

Does this look sufficient or should I move on as I'm flogging a dead horse with this one?
[media]https://vimeo.com/157111810[/media]
https://vimeo.com/157111810

I have two KK elements in my 50L CB pot. It seems to work quite well.

Yes, 5 L/hr on a 30 L boil is 17%, that is good. Normal range is 10-15%.
Dave

Latest posts

Back