Dead Set Biabginner with 19L BigW Stockpot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, you rock! :super:

No milling service available at the LHBS so I think I'll order a carona style mill and some grain and have at it.
Anyone running one of these? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Premium-Quality-Hand-Grinding-Corn-Grain-Wheat-Or-Nuts-Flour-Mill-Home-AU-/252220596446?hash=item3ab984e0de:g:w9AAAOSwNyFWejt4
Seems to be lots of people using them for homebrew but there is a bit of a divide between roller mill guys and carona mill guys

Cheapest roller mill I've found is this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Malt-Muncher-Grain-Mill-With-Base-Plate-Home-Brew-RLRMWH/282114350483?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39923%26meid%3D696cebacf52d427bb35206da19aa471c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D111950172898
If this is the way I should go please let me know.

Having the brew ready for christmas day is looking a bit iffy now :(

Oh, I think there's plenty of time before Christmas! One of the forum's well-known and infamous characters would knock out a Pommie Bitter in a week, used to say, 'grain to brain in under seven days', maybe less. That beer could be Dr Smurto's Landlord with Wyeast 1469, a ferocious beast of a yeast. Plenty of time yet!

I was just thinking of ordering milled grain online this time around. Shipping is the killer!

Here is the recipe I'm planning on using

Shaz_au said:
I was just thinking of ordering milled grain online this time around. Shipping is the killer!
Where about are you mate? I'm in Adelaide but depending on how far out you are it might be worth while checking out some of the places here, some ship at reasonable prices relative to what Brewcraft charge.

I'm in Mount Gambier
Any suggestions on a SA supplier
I was having a look at hoppy days (weighed and milled) so I can get started.

Ouch :p Mt Gambier is regional... Given the locale don't rule out Melbourne as a source to ship from.

Someone local might be able to help, I'm imagining there's some alternative to brewcraft out there.

Worst case find someone who can get you 25kg bags from beerbelly here or kegking in Melbourne. You can probably just about Uber it with someone who's already coming your way.

Shaz_au said:
I built this one for about $10 or so -- second-hand pasta maker from the local markets, and free knurling courtesy of the old boy:

yggpu4E.jpg

Wouldn't be much good for large batches, but seems sturdy enough for my small-scale stuff.

Hpal said:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Refrigerator-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-for-Aquarium-Greenhouse-/251677683499?hash=item3a9928af2b:g:L-QAAOSwzaJX~e1D&autorefresh=true
I use one of these as a thermostat, they do not require wiring like an STC1000. I have used a big W pot for small batches as well, I have been able to fill a 15L cube by mashing in an esky then boiling in the 19l pot
I had one of those for a while, gave it away. No compressor timer, don't want your fridge coming on every 30 seconds or some nonsense.

I have several STC builds but now if I were to do it I'd get these (sponsor plug) best temp controller I own.
http://www.ink-bird.com/

I had one of those for a while, gave it away. No compressor timer, don't want your fridge coming on every 30 seconds or some nonsense.

I have several STC builds but now if I were to do it I'd get these (sponsor plug) best temp controller I own.
http://www.ink-bird.com/
I can't comment on other temp controllers because I've never owned one, but +1 to the Inkbirds. I've got 2 ITC-308s (1 for the fermenting fridge and 1 for the keezer) and they have been flawless and so, so easy to use.

Temperature controller options noted! The ink-bird looks like the go for me.

Does the recipe and ingredients I've picked all look OK? I'm ready to click the check out button if this is looking OK.

Do I need to go back and work out my evaporation rate for my pot on my stove or can this be calculated somehow?

Silly question, why a 90 minute boil? What difference would a shorter boil make? say 60 minutes? Obviously there would be less evaporation so more volume into the fermenter but at a lower starting gravity. What does the longer boil achieve?

Recipe looks good - but Mash Temperature should probably be higher, 66 - 67 not 63.
90min boil is just a default possibly. 60min will do the job. You won't know your boiloff until you give it a go, but if you want my advice there, download Beersmith. Just get the free trial period if you don't want to buy it. In Beersmith you can load up a mini-BIAB equipment profile which will fairly accurately estimate boiloff rates, volumes etc

I'd throw more hops in at flameout (or in the cube) and dry :D :D I'd drop the cara to 5%

Adjust your attenuation to 81% for US-05, especially when mashing at 63C (from memory this application doesn't take mash temps in to consideration for potential attenuation)

You also have the no chill check box selected, this program will try adjust IBUs accordingly... though personally I don't think that any adjustments need to be made for a no chill after doing it on and off. Others may disagree with varying results, DrSmurto's golden ale for example though he specifically says make no adjustments for no chill.

Boiling longer will lose you more water also use more gas :)

The 90 minute mash probably isn't required but it sure won't hurt or cost anything other than your time to leave it.

Well you've got a lot of good answers so far,
If you want very small brews 1x 19l pot is fine and don't forget you can always use your kitchen kettle to top it up.
I try to get around 19l finished product per brew.
If you only have a 19l pot - you can do this by using your pot and the biggest other pot in your kitchen to boost up the volume.

If you are going to nochill - definitely put the 0 hops in the cube - you'll get way more aroma in the finished product.
I normally do a 75 min boil because I add Pilsner malt to everything - 60 is enough for ale malts
Malt mash at 66.6C for 75 then mashout around 75C

Regardless of which process you follow I think you'll get a better result than kits and bits.

And like mtb said - download beersmith - it makes life so much easier

Try it first and then you will buy it for sure - damned cheap tool.

Good luck mate

Cheers

Gerry C

ps. It took me about an hour to type this as I'm doing it in between biab temp checks :)

I'm glad I asked, thanks guys! I'll up the mash temperature to 66 (so I leave AA@ 75%?) I'll have a look at beersmith too.

I still hadn't decided on the no chill vs whacking the pot in the sink of cold water. Brewmate definitely throws a wobbly with the IBUs if I click the No Chill box with the same hop schedule (jumps up over 50).

I'll stick with the 1 pot and small brews to start with until I get some experience!

Any recommendations on a good and cheap brew thermometer? I take it I shouldn't just be using a cheap laser or multimeter thermometer to measure my mash temperature. Do I need to spring for a weldless short stem thermometer and mount that halfway up the pot? I figure anything weldless I add to this pot can be moved to a bigger pot if I go that way in the future.

If you're getting yourself an Inkbird / other temp controller, it's likely the probe will be safe at mashing temps. So you may not need to buy a separate thermometer

Well the ingredients are ordered, I ended up ordering enough for two batches.

I like your thinking but I wasn't going to run out and buy the inkbird just yet... At this time of year I'm pretty confident of being able to maintain a steady temperature without it.

Shaz_au said:

I like your thinking but I wasn't going to run out and buy the inkbird just yet... At this time of year I'm pretty confident of being able to maintain a steady temperature without it.
If you are chucking the lot into a fridge to ferment - dead or alive you'll probably be fine.
An STC1000 is dirt cheap and can keep the temp pretty stable in a working fridge - that's what I use.

As for thermometers I just use ebay digitals like these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-New-Digital-COOKING-FOOD-MEAT-KITCHEN-THERMOMETER-MEAT-Stab-PROBE-TEMPERATURE-/310787515815?hash=item485c6125a7:g:Ic8AAOxyI91Tewsa

I've found this type to be pretty ok. The cylindrical ones are next to useless.
I'm lucky in the way I can check the temps against certified thermometers but these digital ones have come up within 1 degree most times so, near enough.

Just make sure everything is as clean as you can make it and you'll make a drinkable beer, from there you can start experimenting and improving your process.

edit: My Little Penguin APA is now in the cube and I'll be chucking it in the fermentor tomorrow. Mmmm Amarillo :)

second edit: If you're going to buy a grain mill I'd suggest buying a proper one 2 or 3 roller. If you want to cheap out, look at the pasta roller - the others are just mincers and not very beer friendly imo.
Having said that, my first allgrain was made from barley bashed with a rolling pin and it still tasted good although the efficiency was through the floor.

Shaz_au said:

Just FYI, I got mine for $45 each, so pretty minimal outlay for peace of mind.

Welcome aboard Shaz.

There's a nice kettle in the for sale section care of Damoninja.

I have been brewing about 19l at a time from the 19l big w pot, just brew over gravity and using a bucket to batch sparge of sorts. Quite versatile once you get the hang of things.

Latest posts

Back