Exposed element growing skin then stop boiling problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingy

Reaction score
Maryland, Newcastle,New South Wales, Australia, Ea
I trial ran my recently installed 2400 watt element on my single batch pot so I could do single batch boils the same time I'm doing doubles with my other gear.
The element is a 5star brand. It gets to a boil fairly quickly but after about 20mins the boil slowed right down and at about 30mins it was hardly a boil and I had to add gas. But my gas burner on the lowest it could go was making a hard rolling boil.
When I finished brewing I noticed brown scud/skin melted to the element so this must of reduced it's efficiency
Any ideas on how I can stop this from happening?

Kingy,before the trial run did you clean the pot and element ? Maybe a film of something baked onto the element and has caused the brown scud/skin .
Also what water did you use,rain or tap,could it the water quality ?
I have a similar problem here in Port Lincoln but is more to do with calcium deposits which leave a white film on the elements if not rinsed properly after use,the mains water here will stuff a hot water service element within 14 to 18 months no worries it is so bloody hard.
Anyway just a couple maybes to cross of the list .
Cheers....spog....

Nah I never cleaned the element before the brew day (I probly should have even tho it was brand new)
I did boil water twice on seperate days for cleaning fermenters, kegs etc prior tho and had no problems alltho I didn't boil for long.
It was a stout recipe so maybe something in that caused it. Might try a lighter beer and see how it goes. Seems unusual hmm.

Trial and error usually sorts a problem eventually.
Cheers...spog...

Back