Opps! Over gassed the keg.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dunn

Reaction score
Doofus me forgot to set the alarm to remind me to take the gas off the keg.
I have been force carbonating my beers for ever and have never before done this!
My usual is 40PSI for 36 hours in my 19lt cornie and it is perfect for my beers.
It copped an extra 12 hrs of CO2 and is just like a foam party!

Is there any way to "de gas" The keg?
Would be a shame to waste the beer. It's a nice all grain pale with cascade and citra and tastes awesome!

Cheers

Yes you can degas the keg.
Release gas, settle, release, settle, ad nauseaum. Either get it to the level you want or get it flat and regas.
Carbonic acid may affect the feel/flavour - you have to wear that.

I stopped doing pressure that high incase I forgot. These days just set to 140kpa for 48hrs, turn off gas and it settles at about 60kpa after another 24hrs and its carbonated nice as required.

I've over carbed a few times. I think of it like a bottle of soft drink, if you want to make it flat or less fizzy you shake the bottle & slowly release the pressure.

Same goes for a keg.

I usually give the keg a light shake & release the pressure. You have to keep going back to release more pressure or shake a bit more but it worked for me

I over gassed 2 kegs the other day and used this method my mate saw on YouTube, it goes something like this:
Purge the pressure from the over carbed keg, Hook a gas line up to your 'liquid out' post with your reg set at roughly serving pressure, when the bubbling slows to a stop or close enough to it shut off or disconnect the gas then purge the gas. Repeat 3 or 4 times then give it a rest for 5-10mins. Pour a beer, if still over carbed give it a couple more cycles then a 5-10 min rest then pour another test beer.
I Dunno how it works but it does work, I was pouring full foamies and within half an hour I had a perfect pour happening.

Never tried the method in posts 6 & 7. Can't harm to try it.

If it doesn't work, the method Manticle describes works, but fairly slowly. It's quicker if you let the keg warm up, but then you've got to get it cold again and maybe carbed again, which might make it a lot longer overall.

The good news is that the beer's shouldn't be ruined

I like the sound of the beer will survive!
I will try the You Tube method and report the results!

Thanks for the info people!

Just to let you all know, I tried the You Tube method of "gassing" through the liquid post as per the video. I did it 4 times, letting the keg settle for a few minutes between each go, and it works!!!!!
Took about 35 minutes in all and she pours like a champion.

Thanks to all for the help.

Cheers

manticle said:
Yes you can degas the keg.
Release gas, settle, release, settle, ad nauseaum. Either get it to the level you want or get it flat and regas.
Carbonic acid may affect the feel/flavour - you have to wear that.
i should have read this thread first ~ today from a keg 6 months old that must have still been fermenting!

Back