Can I gelatine in the keg after co2 for a day?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
So, in my joy of my very first keg I forgot I wanted to add gelatine to try and clear the beer...

Its now a day later, and the beer was force carbed for a while but not completely carbed..

Can I de-gas, add gelatine and then leave on pressure for a few days without issue?

Going away for work for 4 days so thought it would be a good way to see what gelatine can do

Don't bother. The yeast will settle out in a few days and after the first couple of glasses the beer will be clear. Opening the keg and adding things will just expose your beer to oxygen.

What they said above, but you can do it. I made a smash beer with marris otter that was unusually very cloudy. I vented the head pressure and added some gelatine and it worked great over a few days.
As my beer consumption has slowed Lately and I acquired another ferm fridge my beers have been chilled for 2-3weeks before a keg is available then another week or two before it gets on tap. As a result gelatine never gets used now and the beers are clear from the first pour.

Yes I have done the late addition. Depressurize the keg, open and gently add the liquid, reseal. There is a layer of cO2 given minimal disturbance. Re purge/ burp the keg then lay on its side and gently roll it to mix the clearing agent.
Gelatine is like a faster way to clear but now I don't use it anymore. Its only a small visual advantage for the fuss.
It does make for stunning clarity though in a shorter time.

thanks
Might wait till next time for my first gelatine experiment then

This beer is an american wheat, so i can use that excuse for why its not clear ;)

Gelatine in keg is fine and works well.

Just don't move the keg around or the stuff that settles out will 'fluff' back up into solution.
Gelatine in primary is better but no drama doing it in the keg if you need to.

manticle said:
Gelatine in primary is better but no drama doing it in the keg if you need to.
noted, maybe i'll go that way instead for the next brew

So, ferment as normal, crash chill as normal, then add gelatine solution and leave for what, a few days prior to kegging?

Yep.
I generally don't gelatin, preferring time and cold but on the odd occasion I 've had beers refused to clear and have gelatined in the keg. It works but it's a bandaid.

Latest posts

Back