Redeeming an overcarbed keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRising

Reaction score
As the title says, is there any way to redeem a keg that has been overcarbed? I was a bit busy this week and forgot to turn down my brew which i had force carbing at 40psi and now when i pour, is all head and what little liquid is in the glass is flat as a tack.

Is there are a particular method to de-gas the beer? or do i have to let it de-gas naturally?

There's a couple of methods I've used. One is simply to bleed pressure every few hours for a few days or however long it takes to de-gas it enough to be put back on serving pressure. You could allow it to warm up to do this as well to get the gas out quicker.

The other way I've done it is similar but still allowed me to drink the beer. I'd bleed all the pressure from the keg, then give it a 1/4-1/2 second hit of gas (serving pressure), which gave just enough pressure to push the beer out of the tap. I'd then pour a glass, it would come out looking like postmix or soda water but in the glass itself a reasonable and normal sized head would form, and I'd get a full glass of beer to drink. I just repeated the procedure each glass until the carbonation level dropped enough for it to be put back on serving pressure.

I shake the crap out of it and slowly let gas out when I'm in a hurry. Otherwise bleeding it over a few days should do it.

Latest posts

Back