Have i over gassed? Can I fix it?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodgo

Reaction score
Hi all, i believe i have over gassed my keg, its my first time so i wouldn't be surprised after reading other threads. I kegged my beer (Coopers Real Ale+one teabag cluster hops and dry enzyme) into a 50 litre one 2 days ago and charged with beer gas to about 250 kpa. Laid it down and rocked it for about 15 minutes and left it standing in the fridge for about 24 hours with reg set at 250kpa. It was about 12 deg C when put in the fridge. I know idealy i should have chilled first but read that later. I tried to poor it yesterday but got mostly foam. Dropped keg pressure to about 100kpa at which point it poors very slow but still got alot of foam. I dropped it to 70kpa and left at that pressure with gas turned off. It maintained that pressure over night. Today it pours a little better but still much foam.

Can an over gassed ged be rectified?

Also

The length of the beer line is about 4 metres long with 6mm id. i got from my local Geelong Home Brewing shop. I feel this might be a bit long tho not sure. Have seen some equations to calculate length but i am unsure of the restriction factor of this tubing.

If anyone can point me in the right direction , it would be great.
I'm getting thirsty

Cheers

Hey bud.
Been there and done that.

It may take a few goes, but easy fixed.
Just slowly purge the co2 from the release valve on the top of the keg until there's no or slight pressure coming out of it.
Let it rest for half hour.
Do it again.
Let it rest for half hour.
Tap it and fill with c02 at serving pressure and pour.
If it seems a little flat, check the guide on here for force carbonation.
If its still too gassy, purge again.

Then drink your beer

50l..

Might need to depress the ball valve? I dunno much about those kegs in a home use environment though, does it have a PRV?

see if you can adapt this method to your 50l keg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk79UYGmAk8

Force carbing at high pressure really is hit and miss.

The carbonation level is dependent on temperature of the beer, and the pressure of the gas.

To force carbonate at serving pressure takes a couple of weeks, because the surface of the beer comes to the correct level, but there is a gradient from the surface to the bottom of the keg where the beer is drawn from. Similarly, to decarb to serving pressure take some time.

You could decarb by releasing the pressure, but the beer at the bottom where you beer is drawn from it is still way over carbed compared to the surface beer where it will be in equilibrium for temp and pressure. To try to do it quickly by mixing the beer at the top with that at the bottom by shaking, you will probably find you get covered in a spray of foam as you release the pressure (been there, done that).

It takes time for all the beer in the keg to come into equilibrium.

Set your pressure to give you the correct carbonation level for the temp of the beer.

When you have the right pressure for the temp, adjust the length of your line to give the correct pouring rate.

Patience is the golden rule here. it will not happen overnight but it will happen.

To alter the pressure of CO2 will put the beer out of equilibrium and take some time for it to adjust.

I've over gassed a beer before, I just used the pressure relief a number of times, letting it sit for a while in between.

A word of warning though, you will lose a lot of the aroma profile from hops etc. The gas carries it away, never to return.

I have been doing a little research into the 50L couplers.
apparently, you can just back off the nut that holds your gas attachment, and that will allow you to release the pressure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzpWZNr4Rg

starts at 5 mins

Latest posts

Back