Oops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza9

Reaction score
Just made a big boo boo! I set my pale ale to cold crash lastnight and forgot to take the blow off tube out of the liquid, just gone to check it and the blow off pipe has sucked about 200ml of Starsan into my 21litres of brew. I've tasted the beer and it seems to taste fine. I know Starsan foam is fine to leave in fermenters, kegs etc but what do you all reckon to having about 200ml in 21l of beer, safe to drink?

Just made a big boo boo! I set my pale ale to cold crash lastnight and forgot to take the blow off tube out of the liquid, just gone to check it and the blow off pipe has sucked about 200ml of Starsan into my 21litres of brew. I've tasted the beer and it seems to taste fine. I know Starsan foam is fine to leave in fermenters, kegs etc but what do you all reckon to having about 200ml in 21l of beer, safe to drink?
When they tested it on rats it enlarged the kidneys and liver, apart from that the rats were fine.

Maybe next time use a very long blow off tube. Long enough to take 200ml at least you won’t suck in O2

Or make a receiver, will take care of anything sucked back, also if purging the co2 through another fermenter/keg will catch liquid and impurities exiting the fermenter with the co2.
001.JPG

Back