Old Peculier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

MHB

Reaction score
Duncanbrewer, I would go with Medium Crystal - a UK one, and just regular UK chocolate malt.

Every time I read a description of TOP people say Fruity and Peppery flavours. Always wondered how T-58 would go as a yeast. I know it throws some phenolics but keeping it cool should suppress them some.
Mark

duncbrewer

Reaction score
Thank you for those tips. I suppose some pressure might suppress those phenolics as well.

yankinoz

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
@dkilleen
Thanks for that, I'll try the all grain, shame they don't suggest which type of crystal malt or whether light or dark choclate malt.
I suspect erring towards the darker for both really.
Will have to track down some challenger hops. Will update once brewed.
Just the weather for a pint of this by a warm log fire, windy cold and wet outside.
Unless otherwise stated or in pale beers, crystal malt in Brirish recipes usually means medium crystal. Dark chocolate malt gives quite a bit of roast. Old P has been around a lot longer than Challenger hops. I like Challenger in both UK and some US styles, but in that amount and in an early addition I suspect you could go with anything that provides smooth bittering and is not overwhelming.

Choice of yeast will matter more. Search some boards on that.

Disclaimer: I dislike OP and would never brew it.

Eddy Monsoon

Reaction score
Will have to track down some challenger hops.
Hoppy days have 10% off at the mo. Was looking at it yesterday

duncbrewer

Reaction score
Thanks @yankinoz

Yeast choice I will ponder as well, mostly want to make it as haven't made it this century and to see what it's like all grain. I think the brewers have changed the recipe a lot over the years so I might be chasing an old rainbow if I did a comparison with a new bottled variant. I remember it being a very dark beer yet it looks more like an ESB colour now when I see it on the website.

duncbrewer

Reaction score
That's a nice looking glass, though I suspect the beer is a bit below cellar temperature. The cold filtered is a new thing on their bottles.

Latest posts