Very new to this. Thoughts.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spookism

Reaction score
Hi,

Before I go through this and make the initial purchase, what are everyone's thoughts on the ingredients I was looking at getting to start my very own recipe.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 86.2 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 2 8.6 %
0.30 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 5.2 %
25.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 11.1 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 5.4 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 2.7 IBUs
10.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 2.2 IBUs
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10
-

Beersmith says this APA will be high in ABV and Colour, but very low in bitterness.
Like I said I'm very new and I know this will be a work in progress (most of the fun right) - I just don't want to make a terrible mistake from the first brew!

I would say that for an APA, there's a bit too much crystal. Generally the people keep it about 5%, but up to you.

Hop wise, depends what your wanting to achieve and what bitterness as well. If you like lots of hop flavour/large late additions, then it might be better to achieve 1/3-1/4 of your IBU at 60min and the rest at the last 20min. Also are you chilling or cubing?

It would be more readable if you put the ingredients in a list instead of a block.

From what I see, Fuggles would not be a good choice for an APA. Being your first brew, why not go all Cascade and whack in say 40g for the boil then 20g for a late addition.

hwall95 said:
I would say that for an APA, there's a bit too much crystal. Generally the people keep it about 5%, but up to you.

Hop wise, depends what your wanting to achieve and what bitterness as well. If you like lots of hop flavour/large late additions, then it might be better to achieve 1/3-1/4 of your IBU at 60min and the rest at the last 20min. Also are you chilling or cubing?
I've changed the amount of the Crystal and the Carafoam.
I am also chilling

Bribie G said:
It would be more readable if you put the ingredients in a list instead of a block.

From what I see, Fuggles would not be a good choice for an APA. Being your first brew, why not go all Cascade and whack in say 40g for the boil then 20g for a late addition.
Yes, I just changed the format - sorry

21 IBU's with that much Crystal may be quite sweet. If that's what you like in a beer, go for it. Personally, I would want at least 40IBU's with 800gms Crystal.
I would also ditch the Fuggles & go with all Cascade. 60 min addition to 30 IBU then plenty late, maybe at 10mins for another 10IBU then another hit at flameout

Thanks for the feedback guys.

This is what I'm going to build my first brew from...

0.50 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 8.6 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 3 5.2 %
50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 27.1 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 4.0 IBUs
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -

I will go against the grain here (pardon pun)
I would bitter with Cascade to 20 IBU and then a nice whack of fuggles late to edge just over 30 IBU.

That is just me though. I am pro UK hops. Fuggles late is underrated IMO. Otherwise, stick all Cascade as suggested.

Also i would do the following.
90% MO
7% Crystal
3% the carafoam.

Also does that say 2x packets of Wyeast? Is that 2x smack packs at $14 a packet? If so f*ck that for your first brew and got either 1x packet of Nottingham / US05 for you first batch.

Then read up on yeast starters etc for future brews.

Cheers,
D80

Agree re: 2 smack packs. Also it's 1056, just grab a $4 Dry US05, rehydrate & pitch that. It's a great dry yeast & you won't notice a difference between US05 & Wy1056 IMO.
Also, give it a nice rest at 20-22C after fermentation is done. If you aren't cold crashing I would leave in fermenter for 3 weeks for it to clear up. If you fart in the same room as it, the yeast will wake up & the beer will become cloudy again!

Spookism said:
Hi,

Before I go through this and make the initial purchase, what are everyone's thoughts on the ingredients I was looking at getting to start my very own recipe.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 2 8.6 %
0.30 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 5.2 %
25.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 11.1 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 5.4 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 2.7 IBUs
10.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 2.2 IBUs
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10
-

Beersmith says this APA will be high in ABV and Colour, but very low in bitterness.
Like I said I'm very new and I know this will be a work in progress (most of the fun right) - I just don't want to make a terrible mistake from the first brew!
Looks like a no brainer IPA range to me. All grain home brew just what I like. Take notes of coarse. Fill in the notes of all your brews.
The more notes recorded the better. When you make that best beer you want those notes. When you make that worst beer you want those notes as well.

Danscraftbeer said:
Looks like a no brainer IPA range to me. All grain home brew just what I like. Take notes of coarse. Fill in the notes of all your brews.
The more notes recorded the better. When you make that best beer you want those notes. When you make that worst beer you want those notes as well.
Thanks.

I did decide to start basic and work my way into it.
Lots of trail and error to get the best brew possible.

I will keep you all updated on how I am going.

As a side note, this is exactly why I joined this site - for everyone's great feedback and assistance...

Danscraftbeer said:
How are you mashing?
Was thinking of doing the basic 60 minutes @ 68 degrees with a 75 degree mash out for 10 minutes.
Mix things up from there

Bribie G said:
Yep

Fuggles is definatly an English Ale style of hop

I don't know carafoam but presume it's like carapils.
I'd just stick with the 300g caramalt and add in a 72 rest for dextrins.

Don't talk him/her out of 2 packs. Pitching proper amounts is a good habit (and noone should be paying 14 per pack).
Personally I'd go 1272 though.
Then look at starters and pack splitting if you want to save cash but don't underpitch. 05 properly rehydrated or 2 packs would do as well of course and yes - same strain as 1056.

Latest posts

Back