Old Peculier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duncanbrewer, I would go with Medium Crystal - a UK one, and just regular UK chocolate malt.

Every time I read a description of TOP people say Fruity and Peppery flavours. Always wondered how T-58 would go as a yeast. I know it throws some phenolics but keeping it cool should suppress them some.
Mark

@dkilleen
Thanks for that, I'll try the all grain, shame they don't suggest which type of crystal malt or whether light or dark choclate malt.
I suspect erring towards the darker for both really.
Will have to track down some challenger hops. Will update once brewed.
Just the weather for a pint of this by a warm log fire, windy cold and wet outside.

Unless otherwise stated or in pale beers, crystal malt in Brirish recipes usually means medium crystal. Dark chocolate malt gives quite a bit of roast. Old P has been around a lot longer than Challenger hops. I like Challenger in both UK and some US styles, but in that amount and in an early addition I suspect you could go with anything that provides smooth bittering and is not overwhelming.

Choice of yeast will matter more. Search some boards on that.

Disclaimer: I dislike OP and would never brew it.

Thanks @yankinoz

Yeast choice I will ponder as well, mostly want to make it as haven't made it this century and to see what it's like all grain. I think the brewers have changed the recipe a lot over the years so I might be chasing an old rainbow if I did a comparison with a new bottled variant. I remember it being a very dark beer yet it looks more like an ESB colour now when I see it on the website.

IMG_20180221_190330813.jpg

That's a nice looking glass, though I suspect the beer is a bit below cellar temperature. The cold filtered is a new thing on their bottles.

This fella has just carbonated in bottles and I had a taste last night. Only difference to the recipe posted is I got way more efficiency and its about 6.3% instead of the 5.6%. Its still very young but I'm thinking I should of gone with Roasted Barley instead of the chocolate, get a real chocolatey flavour that doesn't seem to blend with the fuggles and give the sweet flavours people talk about. Its a bloody nice drop and will go down well on cold nights but think I'd definitely swap out the chocolate for roasted barley next time. Also used the Windsor yeast as I couldn't get wlp002 or 005 from the LHBS cause of damn covid etc etc. Ferment got quite warm (24-26) by accident but this hasn't seemed to produce many esters like I would of thought. Its almost as neutral as Nottingham just less attenuative. Maybe the chocolate is covering some of them up, maybe some age will blend it all together.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210808-120256_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-120256_Brewfather.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 28
@Keatsy
That Windsor can't ferment maltotriose sugars I think so it leaves a sweeter beer. I think dudes brew fermented with windsor and kveik hot and didn't get many esters from the windsor. They expected an ester bomb in their stout.

Windsor is a great if much maligned yeast. The trick with it is to use 1g/L, do that and it behaves very well less can be problematic.
As with any yeast most of the flavours are produced early in the ferment, it’s the temperature at/around pitching and during the early reproductive phase that really impacts on your esters, cooler producing less, warmer more in general.

I would avoid Roast Barley, everything I can find says Roast Malt, Roast Barley is roasted Un-Malted barley and tastes very different. Black Patent is the same colour as roast barley and its flavour is much more in line with what I taste in the beer. Caraffa Special 3 would be worth a try; being de-husked it will be a little softer on the palate again just as black as roast barley and black patent (1000-1200 EBC).

Old Peculiar is something of a personal favourite, always called it my benchmark black beer, it’s been a while might have to dig one up and get reacquainted.
Mark

@MHB
Agreed I remember it very much as a black beer, but that picture next to the bottle and the pictures on the web site hint at a bitter beer colour rather than a more to stout hue that the grey cells recollect.
Would Eclipse wheat malt be another option ?
Eclipse.JPG

Another malt I love (well the Weyermann version anyway), great in black beers, and like Carafa lacking a husk it is much more mellow than an equivalent roast husked barley.
That said I don’t taste it in TOP, I get black patent so if I were making a "Clone" would stay with Black Patent, if I were designing a black beer would be all over the Roast Wheat.
Bit like the discussion about Maris earlier in this thread, Maris is a great malt, I just don’t taste it in this beer.
Mark

Windsor is a great if much maligned yeast. The trick with it is to use 1g/L, do that and it behaves very well less can be problematic.
As with any yeast most of the flavours are produced early in the ferment, it’s the temperature at/around pitching and during the early reproductive phase that really impacts on your esters, cooler producing less, warmer more in general.

I would avoid Roast Barley, everything I can find says Roast Malt, Roast Barley is roasted Un-Malted barley and tastes very different. Black Patent is the same colour as roast barley and its flavour is much more in line with what I taste in the beer. Caraffa Special 3 would be worth a try; being de-husked it will be a little softer on the palate again just as black as roast barley and black patent (1000-1200 EBC).

Old Peculiar is something of a personal favourite, always called it my benchmark black beer, it’s been a while might have to dig one up and get reacquainted.
Mark

I usually go through hoppy days for my ingredients, they have the carafas but not black patent. Any ideas who in Brisbane would do black patent in small amounts?

Latest posts

Back