Off Topic: Bulk Buy issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullshit.
Maybe half a pallet is wholesale to you T.D., but to Cryer or Bintani or any other maltster, it's a sneeze in a big big bucket, and barely warrants the time to pick up the phone. They used to be happy to do it, and now their not. I would say that it's more as a result of their own accounting dept calling a halt to it than anything else. And they asked me for my ABN number when I was talking to them this morning by the way.....

If you don't mind me asking, how many pallets did you order from them this morning? 5? 10? 100? I doubt it. I know for a fact that you can buy half pallets of both JW and Cryer malts as a wholesale transaction.

If half a pallet is a "sneeze in a big bucket" then why did they sell half pallets to home brewers not so long ago? I am not coming up with some random figure that I call wholesale - its a quantity that I KNOW Cryer (and other malt companies) are willing to supply at a wholesale level. A pallet is obviously preferable for all concerned, but half a pallet is fine.

This has turned into a circular argument, with the initial point being lost long ago. Everybody just keeps repeating the same silly argument and I'm sick of repeating myself.

I agree, close the thread.

Yep, I agree close the bloody thing.

Let's all have a bulk group hug. B)

Warren -

Dom

I think we have got a couple of school kids posing to be Warren and TD as no adult could be so ignorant or childish.

Cheers
Redgums

Dom

I think we have got a couple of school kids posing to be Warren and TD as no adult could be so ignorant or childish.

Cheers
Redgums

Or have an overwhelming desire to have the last word. <_<

Warren -

OK now I understand it all, thanks for all your thoughts.
Gee it is nice not being a retailer anymore.
Cheers
Gerard

TD.........fair enough.....I did say that they are not willing to do it - that was assumption on my behalf because everyone seems to be going on about it for some reason as if people have been refused orders of late? If not...what the hell is all the fuss about?.......

The are a bulk wholesaler, and normally/routinely deal with orders of multiple tonnes to brewery's around Australia and NZ. That is a fact. They are less willing to deal with half pallet orders from what I understand because it involves just as much paperwork and very little profit. That is also a fact as I understand it. The amount of business that goes to HBS is a fraction of that which goes to breweries. That is also a fact as I understand it.

I think you can figure out what I'm getting at.

(and I'm sorry matey, but the size of my order is my business - but it sure as hell wasn't half a pallet :lol: the freight wouldn't be worth it.)

Quick...close the thread so I get the last word :lol:

These guys have been tarred & feathered by association in this thread, and they don't deserve it. Nor in my opinion does Ross.

Overall. things change, prices go up, the world goes round..... We just all have to adjust and get used to it. :)

Now ALL OF YOU. Put down your bow's and arrows and go and make some beer for god's sake......

For what its worth, it was never my intention to single out any individual retailers, its just that we were talking about Cryer so that's what the topic became based on. Its not personal, not for a second. I am simply voicing my concern over any retailer that attempts to stand in the way of legitimate wholesale transactions because it may hurt their business. Now this has certainly happened in the case of hops. Of course, I have no idea if Ross has done a similar thing with Cryer grain. He assures us all that he hasn't, and I am happy to take his word on that (and am very happy to hear him say that!). Its just frustrating that something that was once upon a time a simple direct dealing with Cryer now HAS to go through an extra middleman! Seems like an unnecessary and redundant addition to the supply chain. But if that's the way Cryer want it then that's obviously their decision. I hope they weren't helped in that decision, as hopco was in the case of the hop bulk buys. Occurring to Ross this is not the way it occurred.

I do agree with you that this topic is getting very old. I am over it.

Yeah, that is sort of a grey-area that hasn't been explained ??

Like T.D. just stipulated. I've been in on a couple of orders where the orchestrator of the bulk-buy was allowed to deal with Cryer's directly. Prices were also a little better. Not sure what has happened there? I do understand that malt prices have risen though.

Just a little puzzled as to why Cryer's have shut the gate? Same thing happened with buying kilo lots from Hopco some time ago too. That notwithstanding I guess I'm happy to go with the flow.

I guess not everything is forever. ;)

Warren -

Hey,

I have been busy for the last couple of days so have missed the thread.

What seems overly coincidental is that shortly after Mr. Kendrick (Ross) bought a hop bagging/nitrogen flushing machine, bulk buys of hops from Hopco were stopped. This had led to significant increases in the price of hops!!!

It must be noted that before I started these bulk buys (6-8 years ago) a sack of malt cost more than it does now from a HB shop.

Lets see what happens to the price of malt now Mr. Kendrick is the sole supplier of the Eastern states.

cheers

Darren

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my prices have been the benchmark around the country for many years now. I am not a retailer.

That's a huge leap there Darren - don't you think just a little too big? Seriously? That's kind of like saying that I could drive the price of stainless up by buying a band-saw......(not trying to be nasty man, but c'mon.........:D)

And benchmark for the country? Whoa boy....now you're geting carried away......you are a re-seller so lets not split hairs. The only thing that makes you not a retailer is the lack of an ABN and the reluctance to make a noticeable profit. You have that luxury because you don't pay retail rent and have the spare room. I suspect you might change your tune if your income was related to it......

Hey Domosura,

Are you saying that if I bought a press, bandsaw and a TIG welder that your products would be worth less or more?

Maybe if you were the only one with those products your argument would be valid.

cheers

Darren

EDIT: You are correct, its not my source of income, I am a homebrewer with a passion for it. I make no profit but get a couple of bags of malt for free for my trouble.

I wish there were more people around like it.

If your source of income is the HB industry, then look further afield.

As for the bechmark comment of yours, I think you had better look into this a bit further.

Uhh.......I AM the only one with a fair number of my products Darren......and I still do my level best to charge as little as I can get away with despite stainless prices being where they are and you know it...........my argument is perfectly valid. Buying the equipment to process a commodity does not give one influence over the price of said commodity. Maybe over the finished product, but not the base material.

And a couple of bags of malt at cost is roughly $80-$100......which is still profit whichever way you look at it - you don't have to go out and buy the malt, so you are financially better off because of your enterprise.

And all due respect Darren, but please explain your benchmark across the country theory to me. I am not aware of anyone reaching for a list of your prices to work out what they should sell malt for retail, including myself - and I know quite a number of HBS owners across the country. I'm not even sure that many of them have heard of you, and I'm not aware of you selling malt anywhere else other than Adelaide to a few homebrewers. You are beginning to sound (at least to me) like someone who has a rather inflated perception of his own importance in the big scheme of things........(regardless of the fact that I you quite fine and personable in person :D but you do seem to be asking for it.....so I'm trying to be polite and somewhat diplomatic.....you know that's not my strong point :lol: )

Whoa!

This subject has certainly touched on a few areas,I think Darren's first post was justified,perhaps a PM to Ross asking to explain may have been better.
The bulk buy thing often causes a few ruffled hairs,I know this from experience,and so does Ross before he became a retailer,older members will remember that hops saga.

Why is it retailers on this forum are either danced around with rose pedals sprinkled on them or spat on with Cobra venom?

Batz

Why is it retailers on this forum are either danced around with rose pedals sprinkled on them or spat on with Cobra venom?

Can anyone else believe it took this long for someone to hit the nail on the head?!?!

I must be ignorant, but Ive never realised that Craftbrewer (a business) was ripping me off so much.

That being said....Ross, expect an order in the next week or so and I expect a beer or two and a chat when I pick it up to compensate!

Batz

Always dangerous mixing business with pleasure...

Also dangerous to engage in defamation where individuals and/or business names are concerned but makes for a good read. Kind of like the Who Weekly or No Idea of AHB :lol: . With every post it just gets better.

Hey Domonsura,

Having Scottish heritage does not help my diplomacy ;)
I hope you are aware that I have been doing this for quite a while and have spoken to many homebrew shop owners. I maintain that once the benchmark has been raised, ALL HB shops will return to 2002 prices PLUS.

FWIW, I think your products are good value for money and well constructed. I hope for your sake these products are not currently being produced in China for a few cents.

As for malt prices, Mr Kendrick (Ross) has certainly heard of me :D . He has moved from kit and kilo proponent to AG extrordinair (spelling) in no time flat. He is a shonk with little understanding of the process AFIAK and there only to monopolise the market.

cheers

Darren

Uhh.......I AM the only one with a fair number of my products Darren......and I still do my level best to charge as little as I can get away with despite stainless prices being where they are and you know it...........my argument is perfectly valid. Buying the equipment to process a commodity does not give one influence over the price of said commodity. Maybe over the finished product, but not the base material.

And a couple of bags of malt at cost is roughly $80-$100......which is still profit whichever way you look at it - you don't have to go out and buy the malt, so you are financially better off because of your enterprise.

And all due respect Darren, but please explain your benchmark across the country theory to me. I am not aware of anyone reaching for a list of your prices to work out what they should sell malt for retail, including myself - and I know quite a number of HBS owners across the country. I'm not even sure that many of them have heard of you, and I'm not aware of you selling malt anywhere else other than Adelaide to a few homebrewers. You are beginning to sound (at least to me) like someone who has a rather inflated perception of his own importance in the big scheme of things........(regardless of the fact that I you quite fine and personable in person :D but you do seem to be asking for it.....so I'm trying to be polite and somewhat diplomatic.....you know that's not my strong point :lol: )

Wow Darren you must have a lot of friends with comments like that

Im sure there are a lot of people on this forum that beleive otherwise about Ross

But hey, everyone is entitled to there opinion. I just dont see the need to be so nasty

Kabooby :)

Hey Domonsura,

Having Scottish heritage does not help my diplomacy ;)
I hope you are aware that I have been doing this for quite a while and have spoken to many homebrew shop owners. I maintain that once the benchmark has been raised, ALL HB shops will return to 2002 prices PLUS.

FWIW, I think your products are good value for money and well constructed. I hope for your sake these products are not currently being produced in China for a few cents.

As for malt prices, Mr Kendrick (Ross) has certainly heard of me :D . He has moved from kit and kilo proponent to AG extrordinair (spelling) in no time flat. He is a shonk with little understanding of the process AFIAK and there only to monopolise the market.

cheers

Darren

Wow Darren, even for you that is a pathetic swipe. Maybe the competition is getting too much for the monopoly you have held all these years. You really need to think before you type, for your own benefit if nothing else.

Andrew

I agree its frustrating there is another middleman a few thousand kilometres away taking cash for doing basically nothing (faxing a peice of paper with the order and sending a cheque?) when a few months back we could do that ourselves and it was fine.

But is also fair that wholesalers can't be stuffed dealing with the public.

Boo hoo. :beer:

cobra.jpg

How did bulk buys start on AHB?

This is before very few if any of our current retailer were even members

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...meter&st=40

Now lets all be nice hey?

Batz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back