Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

There was some discussion over at Grumpy's site a while ago about minich for stouts. Seemed to be a good thing. I wasn't aware of it's reduced diastic power though. Will be sure to do an iodine test at the end of the mash. Has anyone else tried a similar thing? I might add some pale as you say.

Cheers
Borret

I dare say the munich could do it. mash in a pan and bring the grist to 32C and rest it there 20-30 minutes to let the betaglucan enzymes degrade the gums oats are overendowed with. I generally boil the cereal mash, try and get rid of the oils in the germ of the oats.

Yes, I have used oatmalt and it is the ants pants not just in stouts but in any ale where you want the silky smoothness and flavor of oats. Just add to the mash tun!

Jovial Monk

Hi ya
just on the question of oatmeal

i put 100 g of oats in an amber ale and it has come out very cloudy - tastes great but - do you think its the oats that has made it cloudy?

could also be the 1084 yeast which hasn't settled - haven't used this yeast before - but i have a feeling it is not the yeast

lou

lou said:
Hi ya
just on the question of oatmeal

i put 100 g of oats in an amber ale and it has come out very cloudy - tastes great but - do you think its the oats that has made it cloudy?

could also be the 1084 yeast which hasn't settled - haven't used this yeast before - but i have a feeling it is not the yeast

lou
[post="61805"][/post]​

Lou,

was it mashed or did you just chuck it in the ferm? If not mashed then that would casue the cloud.

Borret.

I did mash the oats

what is everyones experience with the 1084 yeast - the profile says it a very low floculating yeast and may require filtering.

lou

Being new to partials (this will be my fifth) I would appreciate it if you experienced brewers out there could play Devil's Advocate with the following Oatmeal Stout recipe.
If you've looked at the first couple of pages in this thread you'll see that this recipe is (I hope :blink: ) an improved version of my k&k recipe & includes some ingredients & advice from Snow & his Oatmeal Stout recipe. (thanks Snow)

3kg JW Australian Ale Malt
1.00 kg Munton's Dark Dried Malt
200g Brown Sugar
80g Black Strap Molasses
50g Brewcraft Cracked Roasted Chocolate Grain
50g JW Black Patent Malt (Roast Malt)
200g Brewcraft Cracked Roasted Black Barley
350g Flaked (or rolled) Oats (Uncle Tobys)
30g Super Alpha Hop Pellets (60 minutes)
1L Starter of Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

Pick it to pieces & tell me any errors I've made & how to correct them. :D

I have a stout recipe not unlike this one...And it's pretty good IMHO! I don't use patent malt any more - I prefer Thomas Fawcett Roasted Barley, but then again, you are making an Oatmeal stout and not a dry Irish stout (like Guinness). Your choice of yeast is good - I also find that 1028 London Ale yeast does a good job.

I use Bairds Stout Malt instead of the JW ale malt - very similar profile but I find the Bairds malt (like Marris Otter in my English Bitters for example) gives a more authentic flavour profile than the aussie variant.

Without knowing the strength of your hops, you need to make sure that you don't skimp on them with that sort of a grain / malt bill. I like a stout that is balanced with a good stong malty presence and offset with good hop bittering, otherwise you end up with a poorly structured stout (only my opinion). I don't like hop aroma and strong hop flavouring in my Irish / Oatmeal stouts, but that's just me - others do...

What's your intended target mash temp? For a stout I drift above 66C and usually aim for about 68C to give it plenty of body - I get really disappointed when I make up a big assed stout and have it finishing off at 1.010 - it's just to watery for my likings - if I want to drink 1.010 beer, I'll grab a pils or koelsch instead!! B)

TL

TL,
Thanks for your comments. You're lucky to have the choices of grain available to you. To the best of my knowledge, JW & IMC are the only base malts available up here (but I've not tried every HBS in Brisbane yet). That said, the Super Alpha hop pellets are around 12-13 IBU. I have never done a partial stout before & planned a mash temp of 66 deg C although it may be better to go 68 deg C for a bit more body like you say. :D My youngest son has been in Dublin for the last two years & undoubtedly has more knowledge of stouts than his old man. I'm still waiting for that pallet of Guinness. :lol: :lol:

No worries, Pete.
BTW, I don't know your water profile, but if its a bit soft, toss in a teaspoon of Gypsum in the mashtun too - it helps emulate the ion composition of the water in Dublin and I use gypsum in all my stouts and dark ales.
Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you want to use Irish Moss in an opaque beer? I've never used the stuff myself...
TL

Trough Lolly said:
Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you want to use Irish Moss in an opaque beer? I've never used the stuff myself...
TL

Just put it down to carelessness TL. I've used it in my first few partials & automatically added it to my first stout recipe. I stand corrected. Look for the edit :(

Here is my recipe for whats going on this weekend.
Tear it to shreds at your leisure.

Gi'me that beer Oatmeal Stout
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 2/06/2005
Style: Oatmeal Stout Brewer: John
Batch Size: 24.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 29.76 L Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 % Equipment: My Equipment
Actual Efficiency: 13.3 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 kg Rolled Oats (5.9 EBC) Adjunct 8.4 %
4.00 kg Ale Malt (Powells Malt) (7.9 EBC) Grain 67.2 %
0.40 kg Caramalt (Powells Malt) (43.3 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.40 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.40 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.25 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 4.2 %
28.30 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.70%] (60 min) Hops 37.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049 SG (1.035-1.060 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 114.6 EBC (69.0-394.0 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 37.9 IBU (20.0-50.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 % (3.3-6.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.6 %
Actual Calories: 90 cal/l

cheers
johnno

johnno said:
Here is my recipe for whats going on this weekend.
Tear it to shreds at your leisure.

Gi'me that beer Oatmeal Stout
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 2/06/2005
Style: Oatmeal Stout Brewer: John
Batch Size: 24.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 29.76 L Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 % Equipment: My Equipment
Actual Efficiency: 13.3 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 kg Rolled Oats (5.9 EBC) Adjunct 8.4 %
4.00 kg Ale Malt (Powells Malt) (7.9 EBC) Grain 67.2 %
0.40 kg Caramalt (Powells Malt) (43.3 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.40 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.40 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.25 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 4.2 %
28.30 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.70%] (60 min) Hops 37.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049 SG (1.035-1.060 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 114.6 EBC (69.0-394.0 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 37.9 IBU (20.0-50.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 % (3.3-6.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.6 %
Actual Calories: 90 cal/l

cheers
johnno
[post="61940"][/post]​
johnno, grain bill looks great, just a word of warning on the Nelson Sauvin hops if you haven't used them before. They leave a flavour resembling Sauvignon Blanc. I used some in a pale ale and only bittered to 24IBU with them and could certainly taste them. Perhaps the dark grains will mask them, I don't know.
Good luck.

C&B
TDA

Thanks TDA. I may back of on them somewhat, maybe 25 IBU. I havent really tried them apart from about 7 Gms to finish of an English Ale I made earlier this year. I couldnt really taste them in that beer.
I think someone mentioned they do go well in a stout somewhere.

cheers
johnno

warrenlw63 said:
Anybody tried Fawcett's pale malted oats yet 3-4EBC? Would be an interesting addition in a lot of beers.

Warren -
[post="61784"][/post]​
I've got some kicking around ready to use in my next stout. Certainly the finest commercial stout I've ever had the pleasure to sample was Maclay's Oat Malt Stout.

I would add amber malt to those stout recipes, 400-800g gives a nice flavor and complexity to the stout. I would use it in place of any cara or crystal malts which are just wrong in a stout, IMO

JM

I'm with JM on this one - but don't use too much Amber malt as it can be a bit overpowering. I wouldn't use more than 400g but that's just my tastes. I used 500g of Bairds Amber in a Kilkenny clone and it trashed the beer - I ended up with a very close replica of a JS Amber and it stomped the hops way into the background!!
TL

Yeah 500g and up and you have amber beer! Amazing how much color it adds!

But in a stout I would go higher, more 800g than the 400g

JM

Ok ,
I have substituted the Caramalt for amber in my earlier post. And I will use a bit les of the Nelson Sauvin hops. Probably 22 grams.

cheers
johnno

Sean said:
warrenlw63 said:
Anybody tried Fawcett's pale malted oats yet 3-4EBC? Would be an interesting addition in a lot of beers.

Warren -
[post="61784"][/post]​
I've got some kicking around ready to use in my next stout. Certainly the finest commercial stout I've ever had the pleasure to sample was Maclay's Oat Malt Stout.
[post="61972"][/post]​

I got some malted oats this morning for my oatmeal stout. Hope they work out ok.

cheers
johnno

Trough Lolly said:
TL
[post="61932"][/post]​
I once asked this question of a stout maker, and the answer I got was: So you end up with a glossy black looking beer, instead of a dull black. And you get a shinier, cleaner looking head.

Back