Oatmeal Stout Partial - Critique please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fu ManBru

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a can of Cooper LME and thought I'd try an Oatmeal Stout.

Basically I'm after a creamy stout around the 5% ABV mark with IBUs of approx 40. 23 litre batch.

1.5 kg Marris Otter

0.5 kg Munich (leftover so was gonna chuck in)

0.5 kg Quick Oats - roast in oven prior to mashing

0.2 kg Flaked Barley

0.2 kg Chocolate Malt

0.2 kg Flaked Wheat

All mashed at 69 C for 60 mins.

1.7 kg LME Coopers Stout Can

20 g Fuggles at 60 min

20 g Fuggles at 10 min

1 pk Notitngham Danstar Yeast

Thoughts?

What are people's opinions on roasting the oats first? Does it change the flavour markedly?

Hops? Little (read zero) experience with hop scheduling so input appreciated. Unsure how hopped the LME is.

Yeast? Keen to use a dry yeast and this one came up in a few of the recipes I looked at.

Cheers

Toasting oats gives a pleasant nutty character.

Why all the non-malted grains? For a good complexity in stout, I like to balance a few different roasts - a bit of black, choc and roast barley for example as they are all slightly different.

I'd prefer a paler can coloured with enough roast malt. Coopers stout tin is well bittered but you could go pale extract instead and do your own hopping. A 60 minute boil with something like EKG or fuggles would do the trick. If using the hopped tin, I'd avoid the 60 minute addition (long time since I did tins so check the tin IBU at the very least).

Yeast I would go a liquid like 1469 or 1099 but you say dried yeast. Only appropriate one I have experience with is S04 although I have used 05 in a stout as the roast is the focus. Never used nottingham.

Thanks Manticle.

I might substitute roast barley for the flaked wheat and dial down the hops (maybe 20 g at 20 mins).

Keen to use the Coopers Stout tin, otherwise it'll sit there too long.

I guess that's the tricky part not knowing how much the tin is going to contribute to the beer as I haven't used one before.

Suck it and see I guess.

Drop the flaked wheat and barley

You will need some Roast barley as well

I understand your desire to use up the tin. Problem is that it has plenty of black in it already so adding your own roast grains can work against you. Keep it subtle, don't rely on only one roast type and it will likely be delicious. That stout tin was a fave when I made kit beer.

Latest posts

Back