Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing a SSOS type clone this weekend.

4.12kg Maris
0.54kg Oat Malt
0.28kg Crystal, Dark
0.13kg Pale Choc
0.13kg Black Malt
0.13kg Roast Barley

Has anybody had trouble with mash pH with these amounts of dark grains AND oatmeal.
Using Melbourne style water?
What is SSOS? I thought it was Sister Star of the Sun, but this isn't Sister Star of the Sun...

But to answer your question, the oats won't significantly affect the pH of the mash. Roasted grains will, though. If you've done stouts without oatmeal that worked well, just do what you usually do.
I find that Melbourne water does need some treatment for dark beers though - either add some CaCO3 to the mash or add the roasted grains at mashout (my current preference.)

Finally going to give this a go, here's my recipe I have come up with:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 30.56 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 84.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 52.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Vienna Malt (Powells) (8.0 EBC) Grain 55.9 %
2000.00 gm Munich Malt (Powells) (15.0 EBC) Grain 28.0 %
500.00 gm Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 7.0 %
250.00 gm Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (800.0 EBC) Grain 3.5 %
250.00 gm Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1350.0 EBC) Grain 3.5 %
150.00 gm Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (230.0 EBC) Grain 2.1 %
20.00 gm Chinook [12.10%] (60 min) Hops 31.4 IBU
15.00 gm Williamette [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
1.00 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Any comments on the recipe or does it look about right? I made a similar stout before without the oats and using just pale malt and I was happy with the flavour. I am only using the vienna and munich over pale as I want to use them up.

I had a great time reading this old thread yesterday, and thought I'd give one a try this weekend. It should be ready, if a bit young, by St Paddy's day.

Just thought I'd run my K&K recipe past you guys for the hell of it. Any ideas or criticism will be welcome.
Here's what I have.
Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark Ale
250g Rolled Oats
150g Choc Malt

I was thinking of adding some extras...
150g Black Roasted?
100-150g Molasses?
what kind of hops?

Cheers
Pete

Just looking I'd axe the oats and choc malt, with the two kits your using its going to be bloody richly flavoured without adding anything else.

Um, seeing as I'm after an oatmeal stout, I think I'll keep the oats in my recipe. And I like my stouts bloody rich. :chug:

You'll need some base malt to convert the oatmeal. Just steeping it with chocolate malt will release its starches, but not make them fermentable.

Thanks PoMo,
Still learning here on the whole mashing stuff. I'm trying to keep it nice and simple, but the brewing addiction keeps pulling me toward the dark side. Alas, a lack of equipment, room, and time keeps me from going AG.

Will do a bit of further research into this before I kick off.

Just mix it in with 500g of ale malt and a litre and a half of warm water, keep the temp between 60 and 70 for 45 mins, then strain and boil the liquid.

Cheers mate. Will see if time permits the mash this weekend. May have to leave the oats for a future stout.

Got the final recipe below ready for sunday.

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark Ale
150g Choc grain (or whatever's left in the tub at home)
200g Oats (ditto)
300g brown sugar (optional, It worked well last time)
12g Goldings (steeped for 10 min)
12g Williamette dry hopped
Safale S-04 yeast

It could turn out like a dogs breakfast (well, I'm sure it will compared to an AG), but it's worth a try.
Will post the results in a month.

Made it on sunday. I was a bit rushed (a bad thing when homebrewing, I know), so I skipped the boil and sparged the grain and oats straight to the fermenter. After opening the Williamette packet and enjoying the smell, I decided to leave out the Goldings. Tastes fantastic from the hydrometer tube. OG was 1054.
24 hours later and the Krausen looks lovely.

So you didn't mash the oats with some base malt?

You really should have left them out if this is the case....
Fortunately, being a stout, you won't see the starch haze.

Cheers Ross

So you didn't mash the oats with some base malt?

You really should have left them out if this is the case....
Fortunately, being a stout, you won't see the starch haze.
Cheers Ross

Yeah, I know I should've, but was very lazy and short of time.
Hope it's at least drinkable.

Skipping the boil of the oats and choc malt might possibly leave you with a nice infection as well.

Anything else that can go wrong here? :rolleyes:

Oh yes, the blowoff hose isn't propery airtight in the lid, and the tap may be coming in contact with the inner lining in the 100can cooler, leading to more possible infections.

Think I'll call it S.O.S.
Stupid Oatmeal Stout or Starchy Oatmeal Stout, but I'm open to suggestions :)

Here is the recipe fo Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout ala Clone brew's

===========
INGREDIENTS
===========
230 g flaked oats
230 g 55L British Crystal Malt
230 g British Chocolate Malt
85 g Roasted Barley
3.4Kg British 2-Row Pale Malt
57 g East Kent Goldings @4.25% AA (8.5 HBU) (Bittering Hop)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast's 1084 Irish Ale Yeast

==============
METHOD
==============

On a cookie sheet, spread out Flaked Oats. Place the sheet in the oven and heat to 163oC. Leave oats in the oven for 75 mins, turning the oats every 15 minutes. Put the oats with specialty grains and pale malt and mash at 65.5C for 90 mins. Boil bittering hops for 90 minutes. Add Irish moss in last 15 minutes.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew,

I suppose you have done a little fine tuning to the above since you posted this recipe in '03? Any chance of an update?
I am thinking of doing this with Nottingham yeast.

:beer:

Back