Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know I should've, but was very lazy and short of time.
Hope it's at least drinkable.

The 200gms of oats, won't make any real difference, they won't add anything to the brew (other than a bit of haze), so no worries. Adding base grains that haven't been boiled is a big risk, as the husks can contain all sorts of nasty's. The choc malt is a much lower risk, so hopefully all is ok :)

Cheers Ross

Apologies if I've missed a discussion on this already, but don't oats need to be cooked (gelatinized) before even adding them to the mash?

'Instant' oats have already been through the cooking process, but plain oats haven't, and as I understand it the starches simply aren't available to the mash enzymes in this form.

I've always thought that any grain you want to get fermentables from has to be either malted or cooked before it goes into the mash - am I wrong?

Apologies if I've missed a discussion on this already, but don't oats need to be cooked (gelatinized) before even adding them to the mash?

'Instant' oats have already been through the cooking process, but plain oats haven't, and as I understand it the starches simply aren't available to the mash enzymes in this form.

I've always thought that any grain you want to get fermentables from has to be either malted or cooked before it goes into the mash - am I wrong?

I believe you're right. Instant or quick oats are pre-gelatinised, which is why they cook quickly.

The 200gms of oats, won't make any real difference, they won't add anything to the brew (other than a bit of haze), so no worries. Adding base grains that haven't been boiled is a big risk, as the husks can contain all sorts of nasty's. The choc malt is a much lower risk, so hopefully all is ok :)

Cheers Ross

Cracked the first stubbie last night of my oatmeal stout. Ross, you're right about not adding much to the brew. It's more like a dry stout. Will certainly devote more time in future for a proper boil.
(and maybe I'll miss the finings in stouts in future too, as it's quite light in body - another lesson learnt).

Really I haven't even had a real oatmeal stout before to compare it to. Looks like a trip to Northmead Cellars for a few samples is in order.

Apart from that, it turned out lovely. Bring on St Paddy's day. :chug:
Pete

My Oatmeal Stout that has just been bottled :chug:

NOTE, The oats where mashed with the other grains.

MMMmmm Carafa sure does make a difference to the flavour.. :)

Oatmeal Stout

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.9 4.20 kg. BB Traditional Ale Malt
5.8 0.30 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special II
5.5 0.28 kg. Flaked Oats
3.9 0.20 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt
2.9 0.15 kg. Chocolate Wheat

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.10 38.2 60 min.
30.00 g. EKG Pellet 6.00 6.7 15 min.

I'm planning a chocolate stout along the lines of young's double chocolate, this is what I've come up with so far from looking at other's recipes

Chocostout
13-B Sweet Stout

37.jpg

Size: 23 L
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 175.07 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.053 (1.042 - 1.056)
|====================#===========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.023)
|===========#====================|
Color: 37.3 (30.0 - 40.0)
|===================#============|
Alcohol: 5.17% (4.0% - 6.0%)
|=================#==============|
Bitterness: 28.15 (25.0 - 40.0)
|===========#====================|

Ingredients:
4 kg Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
250 g Crystal Malt 120L
250 g Crystal Malt 40L
500 g Roast Barley
500 g Chocolate Malt
500 g Oats (Pregelatinized Flakes)
1 tbsp 5.2 pH Stabilizer - added during mash
250 g Cocoa Powder - added during boil, boiled 5 min
25 mL Chocolate Flavoured essence - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
35 40 g East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
35 g East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min

I'm planning on overnight cold steeping the darker grains, and adding the chocolate essence after fermentation if it's not chocolate-y enough. undecided on the yeast, perhaps windsor?

anyone have any tips or pointers?

edit: dropping the flavour hops addition

Posting appreciation of rolled oats in stout. I've used oat malt before (in a couple of stouts and a brown ale), but haven't liked the result. Just brewed a rogue shakespeare stout clone with 400g (8%) "quick oats", and the beer is velvety smooth, with a taste to match.

I do love using the Quick Oats in a stout. I am even brewing with them on Friday in Barry's Porter. Cant wait.

Steve

Just sneeked a taste of this as it conditions..

Choc-oat-late Express Stout
20 litre batch

Marvis Otter -4.3kg
Pale Choc malt -0.4kg
Oat Flakes -0.3kg
Roast Barley -0.2kg
Dark Crystal -0.2kg

Green Bullet pellets 26gm 60 minutes
EKG plug 10 minutes

100ml Expresso coffee in primary
Windsor yeast

Except for the coffee being only faintly noticeble this is bloody nice, smooth and chocolaty with a grin factor.
Think I'll give it a hammering on Saturday nite's FA Cup. :beerbang:

I'm doing two brews on the week end the first is a oatmeal stout. As i have never done one before i have read a lot of recipes and come up with my own. All the grains i have on hand so nothing is ordered in and would like to use what i have.

50 ltr batch
7.5 kgs Marris otter
1.5 kgs uncle tobbys oats
1 kg melanoidin
.5 kgs chocolate malt
.4 kgs amber malt
.3 kgs carafa r Type III
.3 kgs roasted barley

Bittered to 30 IBU with Fuggles at 60min only
4.99% ABV

I know there are some unusal malts for this but i have them and would like to use them up. What do you think ?

Hi folks,

Put down an OG Oatmeal Stout 8 days ago now, here are the specs:

Grain Bill
Marris Otter Pale 3.00Kg
Weyerman Munich II 1.65Kg
Wheat Malt 0.40Kg
Flaked Oats - UncleTs 0.60Kg
JWM Roast Barley 0.25Kg
JWM Chocolate Malt 0.40Kg

Hops
Challenger (7.5%) 35.00g 7.50% 60min
Challenger (7.5%) 10.00g 7.50% 30min

OG: 1.054

What would people expect me to get as an FG? Do these finish high in general, because it has been sitting on 1.018 for a few days now. Mind you I did use Nottingham and brew it for the most part at aroun 15deg which is very low for this yeast.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Jeremy.

BTW this is my first AG, maybe a bit adventurous in retrospect!

What was your mash temperature? If you mashed around 65ish you might expect it to finish around 1.010.

I believe you're right. Instant or quick oats are pre-gelatinised, which is why they cook quickly.

Quick cooking oats AND rolled oats are gelatinised and are both suitable for the mash WITHOUT pre-cooking beforehand.

ONLY Recipes requiring 'steel cut oats' require pre-cooking.

tdh

What was your mash temperature? If you mashed around 65ish you might expect it to finish around 1.010.

Hey, my temperature was approx 65deg for the mash. I started around 66, and it dropped probably a degree and a half, over an hour an a quarter. I was kinda hoping that the poor attenuation might be related to the effect the oats have on the brew, rather than the fact that i fermented it at quite low temperatures.

I racked it last night having not had much movement for a few days, and the airlock has started back up in secondary, so I am hoping it will drop another couple of points over the next few days, but we will see.

1.054 -> 1.018 gives me an OK ABV, and it tastes good out of the fermenter, its just higher than i have had a beer finish in the past.

Cheers.

You want to make sure it is finished before you bottle... otherwise you run the risk of bottle bombs. Sounds like things are going OK now.

FWIW, quick cooking oats are just the scrap oats that aren't the right shape/size. They're "quick cooking" as they're smaller bits. As a matter of fact I'm eating some now!

Checked it again last night, and the airlock activity had died down again, and no further movement in the gravity reading. That make probably about 4 or 5 days on this SG. I am kegging, so bottle bombs wont be a problem, so i reckon i will keg it tonight. The SG runnings have really cleared after only 24 hours in secondary, and i have gotten a bit behind and have a fridge full of empty kegs.

Cheers adam.

Quick cooking oats AND rolled oats are gelatinised and are both suitable for the mash WITHOUT pre-cooking beforehand.

ONLY Recipes requiring 'steel cut oats' require pre-cooking.

tdh

You are entirely right. The grain is steamed prior to rolling.

Quick oats do convert quicker, tho. They are chopped up rolled oats, which exposes more of the starches either in cooking or in the mash. I just got it into my head when I made one of these "quick oats = no cereal mash". :D

Dragging up an old thread here...
Planning on this one tonight (1st AG stout!) Just wondering if a few experienced eyes could run over this for me? Should I up the oats? Any suggestions?

Cheers guys, John

Oatmeal Stout,

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.205
Total Hops (g): 90.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (P): 12.6
Colour (SRM): 29.2 (EBC): 57.5
Bitterness (IBU): 37.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 73
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.100 kg Golden Promise Malt (78.77%)
0.400 kg Flaked Oats (7.68%)
0.285 kg Crystal 120 (5.48%)
0.250 kg Chocolate (4.8%)
0.170 kg Roasted Barley (3.27%)
0.250 kg rice gulls
Hop Bill
----------------
40.0 g Cascade Pellet (5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
25.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 67C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 1335 - British Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Latest posts

Back