Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there, Johnno,

I used Wyeast 1026 - Brithish Cask Ale -

one of the Pitchable packs that was smacked when I got it - I didnt have time to make up a starter.

Airated the buggery out of it too, oh well, I dont mind a beer that you can chew on.. :lol:

Cheers,

Crispy

johnno said:
Mine started at 1060. Stopped at 1030 :angry: 3 days later and is currentlt at 1024 in secondary. 2 and a half weeks after I made it up.
I am trying to get it down to 1020. Then bottle the bugger.
Still tastes delicious.

cheers
Johnno,
Wats the fermentation temp? Sometimes a brief warm for 24 hours on a brewmat and then bringing the fermenter back down to room temp does the trick for my stouts.
Sleepy yeast in a cool fermenter always seem to take ages to finish out.
Cheers,
TL

Trough Lolly said:
Johnno,
Wats the fermentation temp? Sometimes a brief warm for 24 hours on a brewmat and then bringing the fermenter back down to room temp does the trick for my stouts.
Sleepy yeast in a cool fermenter always seem to take ages to finish out.
Cheers,
TL
Hi TL,
The temp of this was 18 -20 C all the way. I did try a few things. First I tried stirring up the yeast with the spoon but nothing happened. Then I tried shaking the crap out of it. Then I tried warming it up to 24 C. Had it there for about a day. Thats when it dropped a few points.
I am now starting to suspect my mash temp may have been too high. I think I was reading somewhere that if the mash temp is too high you end up getting unfermentables in your wort. I need to research this a bit more I reckon.

cheers

G'day Johnno,
Yeah, a high mash temp will generate quite a few dextrins that are less fermentable than the maltose fermentable sugars that are generated by the Beta-Amylase enzymes at a mash temp closer to 60C...If you want to research the mashing process a bit more, you might want to have a look at this helpful article on PenSans Brewery - here...

Anyway, if you find the FG stable for a few days, I'd bottle/keg it.
Cheers,
TL

I"m halfway through drinking this brew and I have to say its the best beer I have made so far.
I love dark beers like this so I may be a bit predjudiced in my decision :)

I would like to say thank you to all the AHB members.
Especially to jayse for starting the thread. I would never have dreamed of brewing anything like this 12 months ago and the results have been excellent. :chug: :chug:
......now...where is that other stubby?..

cheers

I have an oatmeal stout brewing away, credit to this thread for the inspiration

yes I have made a mental note of this thread to brew a stout, along the lines of Andrew's. trouble is the list is getting longer after the scottish, porter, xmas brew, koelsch, wheat etc etc. so by march 05 i should get to it

Sounds awesome johnno, thanx for the feedback. Now the question is what dark brew to brew next.
Why not try a scottish? maybe my new favourite style american brown? this style is awesome and is my idea of a perfiect pint, it has lots of malt and lots of hops and can have a reasonbly high starting gravity.
anyway keep up the great brewing
Jayse

Snow said:
Well, since you're showing me yours, I'll show you mine! This one's a kit-based partial mash that gives you one of the richest, creamy stouts you'll ever make:

1kg Pale Malt
1.7kg Can of Coopers Stout
1 kg Dark Liquid Malt
250g Brown Sugar
100g Black Strap Molasses
50g Cracked Roasted Chocolate Grain
50g Cracked Roasted Black Barley
350g Flaked (or rolled) Oats
30g Super Alpha Hop Pellets (Bittering)
14g Goldings Hop Pellets (Aroma)
2 teaspoons Gypsum
1 tsp Irish Moss
1L Starter of Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast
1 heaped Cup light dry malt extract for bulk priming

It's fairly bitter, because that's how I like them, so if you want some
thing more to the Irish style, then back off the Super Alpha to about 20g.

Cheers - Snow
[post="4911"][/post]​

Snow,
That recipe looks remarkably like the last stout I made with k & k.

One 1.7 kg can Morgans Dockside Stout
1.5 kg Muntons dark dried malt
325 g Molasses
50 g Roasted chocolate grain
50 g Roasted burnt black barley
25 g Dark brown sugar
40 g Super Alpha hop pellets
Morgans Ale yeast (6kg)

The above was touted as the world's greatest kit stout. As I am now on partials as I get my AG gear together (Woolies 19l boiler :( )I'm going to substiute the Dockside for 3kg JW Pale Ale & the Morgan's yeast with a Coopers Sparkling Ale liquid yeast. I'm thinking of using a few of your ingredients as well. What was your OG? Did the 15g Goldings hop pellets give you any aroma? :D :D

Ladies and gentlemen.
For me its that time of the year again.
I will be putting together another recipe for this great beer over the next couple of days and hopefully brewing this Sunday.
My previous one was a partial with extract. This one will be AG.
mmmmm....i can already taste it.

cheers
johnno

Tidalpete said:
Snow,
That recipe looks remarkably like the last stout I made with k & k.

One 1.7 kg can Morgans Dockside Stout
1.5 kg Muntons dark dried malt
325 g Molasses
50 g Roasted chocolate grain
50 g Roasted burnt black barley
25 g Dark brown sugar
40 g Super Alpha hop pellets
Morgans Ale yeast (6kg)

The above was touted as the world's greatest kit stout. As I am now on partials as I get my AG gear together (Woolies 19l boiler :( )I'm going to substiute the Dockside for 3kg JW Pale Ale & the Morgan's yeast with a Coopers Sparkling Ale liquid yeast. I'm thinking of using a few of your ingredients as well. What was your OG? Did the 15g Goldings hop pellets give you any aroma? :D :D
[post="60175"][/post]​

Hi Pete,

sorry - I just stumbled onto this topic. Your ideas for a revised recipe look good and I reckon will definitely improve the final result. Now I do partial mashes I would never use a kit again for this recipe. That said, it was agood beer. The OG was 1.058. The Goldings hops provided a touch of aroma, but the dominating aroma was malt and molasses. I'd back off on the molasses and add some roast barley if I were to make it again.

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
The OG was 1.058. The Goldings hops provided a touch of aroma, but the dominating aroma was malt and molasses. I'd back off on the molasses and add some roast barley if I were to make it again.
Cheers - Snow

Thanks for your reply Snow, Your info & comments will help me to fine-tune next month's Oatmeal Stout. I concur with your comments re the molasses (325g in mine was way too overpowering :p ). Did you mean that you'd increase the 50g of cracked roasted black barley in your original gecipe? I have figured in 75g for next month's partial. :blink:

Ah I see I've made an error! The "Cracked Roasted Black Barley" is actually black patent malt. When I wrote that in the recipe, I was calling it by the name the HBS owner told me, and he didn't know his grains very well (and neither did I, obviously!). I recommend keeping the black malt at 50g and adding around 300-400g of Roast Barley.

Cheers - Snow

Quick question for Snow...sorry, I probably should go back through the thread as this issue may have been answered...just refer me back if it has. But, how did you handle the rolled oats in that kit beer that had no diastatic malt at all? Obviously you didn't put them through a mash to convert the starches. Did you boil them into porridge and then add that to the fermenter? Reason I ask is I have a friend who wants to make an oatmeal stout from an ESB kit, and I have been telling him he has to do a mini-mash. I have never made an oatmeal stout.

Edit: Oops, just found some time to backtrack and look more closely. Snow, your recipe did indeed have malt and was a partial. So I assume you mashed the oatmeal with the pale. Did that work well? Do you think you could push the ratio to 1kg of malt and 500g of oatmeal?

Thanks,

Steve

No worries, Steve. If have a look at the top of my recipe, you'll see I included 1kg pale malt. I just mashed that with the oats and other grains for about an hour.

Cheers - Snow

Steve,

I actually have a 3kg esb stout lurking in the cupboard to do just that. Will be using about 400g rolled quick oats and 1kg of munich. Was just trying to do a few other brews between stouts so that ones coming up with the 1084 irish ale yeast and some goldings to go with it.

Cheers

Borret

Possibly already answered but I'll ask again anyway:- Quick oats or Rolled oats for an oatmeal stout.

Hopefully getting 2.5kg munich and 200 choc malt soon to go with a Blackrock stout tin and a small pack of super alpha and 250g crystal rye. Planing on using 1kg oats but not sure which to get.

Cheers
Steve :beerbang:

I was under the impression (from other threads) that quick oats were better cause they were already geletanised.

Borret

Anybody tried Fawcett's pale malted oats yet 3-4EBC? Would be an interesting addition in a lot of beers.

Warren -

Borret said:
Will be using about 400g rolled quick oats and 1kg of munich.
[post="61776"][/post]​

Thanks for the reply Borret. Mate, I'd be a little bit careful about using Munich. It is diastatic, but since it has been kilned at a fairly high temperature I wouldn't be confident that it has enough enzymes to convert 30% adjunct as well as itself. I'd go for at least half of it as pale malt to bump up the enzymes. Stouts are usually just pale malt, crystal, and roast barley +/- some chocolate +/- some black malt. I reckon all your ESB kit needs is pale malt + 80 to 100g of roast barley and your oatmeal. You could add 100g to 200g of crystal if you wanted. Just some suggestions for you.

Steve :beer:

Back