Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it doesn't then something went really really wrong :lol:

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Gidday, I'm going to brew this clone of Big Sky's Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout this week. http://www.byo.com/recipe/799.html
I will be using whitelabs Irish Ale 004 yeast which was donated by Pedro.
There is a shit tin of crystal in this and just curious as to how the US and UK crystal malts vary. If anyone knows I would be interested to hear.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA
Just wondering if anyone built this one as i am getting keen to put one down. This is the recipe from TDA's link:

Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout
OG = 1.055 FG = 1.016 IBUs = 20

3kg's Coopers light unhopped malt syrup
680g caramel crystal (160 ebc)
114g black patent malt
170g chocolate malt
170g flaked oats
6.25 AAUS East Kent Golding hops (1.25 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
1 teaspoon Irish moss
2/3 cup corn sugar for bottling
London ESB Ale (Wyeast 1968) or English Ale (White Labs WLP002) or Muntons dry yeast.
Also does it matter what bittering hops i use. I went to a local brewery yesterday to get some Northern Brewer hops for my Bock and he only had POR. and said all bittering hops are the same just pay attention to the alpha acid. Does this sound right?

NO

There is a big difference.
Try ordering your hops and yeasts from Grain&Grape.
They do 1kg for 48.00 mixed.
They have 6month old wyest 125ml smack packs for 7.50ea.

I think you need to find a better HBS.

SJW, good god no man!

whilst the AAU will affect the total overall bitterness they still have a different taste they impart in the beer. if that was the case then every beer would be made by the same hop and all really taste the same.

i'm with GMK, look for getting your hops from another shop, grumpy's, esb, grain and grape and the country brewer are just some places via mail order to get good hops.

SJW,

I have just tapped my oatmeal stout from the recipe posted earlier in this thread.

It is SMOOOOTH and CREEEEAMY with a nice bitter bite and the head stays to the bottom of the glass.

mmmmm
brunch.
Thats a great shot Andrew. :chug:

cheers

SJW said:
Also does it matter what bittering hops i use. I went to a local brewery yesterday to get some Northern Brewer hops for my Bock and he only had POR. and said all bittering hops are the same just pay attention to the alpha acid. Does this sound right?
Yes and no.

The level of bittering is determined by the AA% and that is all.
For a stout, there is (usually) only one hop addition and the character of that hop will come thru to the finished beer. In other styles where you add flavour and/or aroma hops, the type of bittering hop matters a bit less, but it still matters.

I have a huge quantity of POR and if used judiciously, it is a fine cheap bittering hop, but I try to stay under 20IBUs of POR and make up the rest with a more refined hop and NEVER use POR for flavour or aroma additions.

For a Bock, I think you could get away with POR for 60 mins but keep the bittering low and add something from the noble family later in the boil to cover up the POR. It's far from ideal, tho.

i would argue that PM.

I have only tried it once. But i mash hopped POR flower and then threw some in at flame out.

I tried it only because i got ask to from Dave at Goliaths and it work out ok. I dont think most people would dislike it. The only problem is people's opinion. It isnt cool to like POR. Not to say that i think it is a great hop. Just goods for something n.ew

I wonder however how pellets would taste like, that where not thrown in the mash. Probably a lot harsher!

wow, awsome shot andrew.
joe

TDA, i just notice you had 890g of crystal in the recipe. How apparent was this? I dont think i've tried that much crystal before. What did you think?

SJW said:
Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout

114g black patent malt
170g chocolate malt
170g flaked oats
6.25 AAUS East Kent Golding hops (1.25 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
1 teaspoon Irish moss
2/3 cup corn sugar for bottling
London ESB Ale (Wyeast 1968) or English Ale (White Labs WLP002) or Muntons dry yeast.
There's a slight problem with this recipe. That being theres no enzymmes' to convert the oatmeal.
I don't know BYO's reasons for this are but i have seen them publish a recipe before with the oatmeal starch going straight into the boil.
Anway i would be using a kilo of any type of base malt in that recipe to break down the oatmeal.

My oatmeal is tasting great at 2 weeks old. the 1026 cask ale is a wonderful yeast.

Cheers and Bavarian back packers.
Jayse

Reading this thread I am very tempted to make a partial mash oatmeal stout. And I havent even tried one yet!
Sounds like a very delicious drop. But hey! I want to make another porter and it is lagering season as well.
Bloody decisions!! :blink:

cheers

Johnno,

Give the Oatmeal Stout a go if you can, this brew is a fantastic winter drop Bitter/sweet and creamy, Yum Yum.

My local HBS bloke says that (dumb staement of the week) in an oatmeal stout he would rather use flaked barley as any more than about 200g of oats makes the beer taste like glue & to thick.
I agree with Jayse that u would need 1kg of base grain to mash with the oats.

jayse said:
SJW said:
Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout
114g black patent malt
170g chocolate malt
170g flaked oats
There's a slight problem with this recipe. That being theres no enzymmes' to convert the oatmeal.
Jayse is spot on - you need some base malt enzymes in this recipe in order to mash the oats and extract the fermentables...

Having made a few stouts and porters, I would exchange a kilo of the malt syrup for pilsner or pale ale malt or any other malt that has some diastatic power. I have 25kg of Stout Malt from the UK (Bairds) that does the trick for me! ;) The patent and chocolate malt do the colouring job and add some distinct roasted notes. 680g of cara xtal is a lot for this batch - is this 23L? You might find the xtal notes will overpower the other grains - but then again, I've never brewed this recipe so what the hell would I know! :lol:

The flaked oats should be gelatinised, so you should not get a stuck mash, especially when you toss in some base malt. I would knock back the xtal to 500g and toss in 150g of flaked barley too! That should make a stout that you can not only stand a fork up in, but you'll have to chew through the head to get to the beer! :chug:
Cheers,
TL

Footnote: I've used 1028 London Ale yeast on similar stout recipes and it gives a really great UK stout flavour - especially when I chuck in a tsp of Gypsum into the mash tun!

TL,

where abouts did you get the stout malt from. i got some from ESB a year or so back but haven't seen it since?

Bonk,
The club had a special order on it - I picked up a bag for $21.45...At that price I got bag of Bairds Munich too!!
TL

putting down a big sky slow elk oatmeal stout tomorrow 16/7 but have had to change a few ingredients due to lack of ingredient and being too lazy to go to the supermarket.
ive switched the choc malt for carafa special 2 and the flaked oats for oatmeal.
will see how it turns out in time but either way i reckon it will be very nice even if im in the tropics.good thing its the dry season at the moment.anyone reckon i will have a prob using oatmeal instead of flaked oats?

cheers
big d

Hi Big D,
You won't have any problems using Oatmeal, as long as you make sure that you mash the Oatmeal with some base malt that will have sufficient enzymes to break down the starch that the mashed oatmeal will release.
If you don't do this, you will end up with a mash that makes a great doorstop! The enzymes in the base malt will go to work on the starch molecules as soon as those molecules are released by the oatmeal and this is what keeps the viscosity down in the mash.

If you want to read more on cereal mashing, check out this thread on hbd - here....
Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back