Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry major edit one of my last posts above.
mmmm oatmeal.

how many cereal mashers out there?

Jayse
the book doesn't say why you should bake the oats, I would assume it is for a colouring effect and possibly to give the oats more flavour compounds ie, biscuity, chocolatey. I have'nt made this beer but have tried a couple of others from there book and they seem to turn out nicely.
Regards
Andrew

mmm, all this talk about oatmeal is making ne thirsty, uh hungry.

just wish i could write fast enough to get all these recipies down!
joe

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend an easily available example of this style sold in the bottle shops.
I love all dark beers but I dont think I have sampled an oatmeal stout yet.

Cheers

johnno said:
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend an easily available example of this style sold in the bottle shops.
I love all dark beers but I dont think I have sampled an oatmeal stout yet.

Cheers
I've only seen one Oatmeal Stout available in Australia so far, and I've only seen it in Perth (Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout).

Youngs Double Chocolate will give you an idea of a similar style of Stout (Sweet Stout). Just imagine that, yet even more silky!

Thanks kook,

I'm gonna do my best to find one of these in Melb.

cheers

kook, is that S.S.O.S sweet? mine iam going for more on the dry side which this recipe is.

no action on the cereal mash front.
iam pretty sure the flaked oats are best done in the single infusion.

Johnno you can get a msb oatmeal stout home brew can.
from all the stout articles i have read everyone picks oatmeal stout as the best.

cheers jayse

Thanks jayse,
yeah just put on an msb pale ale. Gonna do the oatmeal stout next. I've got minimal temp control so 11.5 liter brews are good for me. That way I can keep brewing thru summer.

cheers

jayse said:
kook, is that S.S.O.S sweet? mine iam going for more on the dry side which this recipe is.
Yep. Not overdone though. Little less sweet than Youngs DCS.

Its rediculously silky though. So tasty.

Heres my notes:
AR8/10, AP5/5, FL8/10, PA5/5. OV18/20
Pours dark brown, almost black, with decent sized pillowy brown head. Great retention. Deep lovely sweet aroma of coffee, chocolate and liquorice. Absolute silk in the mouth. Brilliant feel and body. Subtle sweet initial tastes of caramel and chocolate. Slightly roast finish, with a hint of coffee. Absolutely brilliant.

Andrew Clark said:
Here is the recipe fo Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout ala Clone brew's

===========
INGREDIENTS
===========
230 g flaked oats
230 g 55L British Crystal Malt
230 g British Chocolate Malt
85 g Roasted Barley
3.4Kg British 2-Row Pale Malt
57 g East Kent Goldings @4.25% AA (8.5 HBU) (Bittering Hop)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast's 1084 Irish Ale Yeast

==============
METHOD
==============

On a cookie sheet, spread out Flaked Oats. Place the sheet in the oven and heat to 163oC. Leave oats in the oven for 75 mins, turning the oats every 15 minutes. Put the oats with specialty grains and pale malt and mash at 65.5C for 90 mins. Boil bittering hops for 90 minutes. Add Irish moss in last 15 minutes.

Regards,
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Just spotted this good looking recipe...

Couple of questions - what sort of SG are we looking at and how many litres in the boil and final wort? Is this a 20L batch?? :huh:

Cheers,

TL

Hi TL
Specs for samuel Smiths oatmeal stout are:
19lt
O.G 1.048-1.051
S.G 1.010-1.013
SRM 68
IBU 30
regards andrew

Still looking for an oatmel stout to try.
Dropped in to Nicks wine merchants (i think thats the one, walk past it twice a day and never take any notice :blink: )
Bloke there said they only have Emersons oatmeal stout but they had run out.
Checked Emersons site and there is nothing about one of these there.
http://www.emersonsbrewery.co.nz/beers.htm
Anyways picked up a Youngs double chocolate instead. At least I will get to try that.
Hope the missus doesnt see it <_< Otherwise I will have to share :angry:

cheers

Got another 'Oaty' down yesterday.
Up'd the O.G by 10 points to 1.065 compared to the last and over doubled the chinooks.(i just used more ale malt and extra 250g of oats)
If you can call chucking a few pellets in the mash, then i mash hopped it.
Plus first wort hopped it and boiled for 1 hour then 60 grams in for another hour for a 2 hour boil.
Purist don't ask me why i hopped up this stout I know its way over the 'guidelines'
Thats why i stuck with using a desent amount of roast barley again.
I used 12.5% quick oats(750g) straight in the single infusion at 70c.

Having a hard time geting it down to 18c it looks like old irish git yeast is gunna have to ferment at 22c.
The last one had some fruitiness which was great just don't want it to rule, like i have a feeling my last weeks two batches fermented at the top end will be.

'Oaty Jayse' waiting for my cool room to be finished. I am not in Ireland after all. B)

A cereal mash is done where the gelatinisation temp of an adjunct is higher than mash temperature. One adjunct that must be cereal mashed is polenta, oats are sometimes cereal mashed ot destroy the fats they contain.

Basically a small mash, usually done on the stovetop. Mix the quantity of adjunct with twice as much by meight of cracked pale malt. Stirring all the time, bring up to sacharification temp, 66-68C, once there hold it there for for 20 minute. Then add some hot water, and stirring all the time bring to a boil then boil for 15 mins

Add to main mash which should have been sitting at 50-55C to bring the whole mash to desired mash temperature. a step mash like this helps to get clearer beers.

Flaked and puffed adjuncts are pregelatinised and don't need a cereal mash

Jovial Monk

J.M a couple questions.
Do you have the steel cut oats J.M?
Where can i find them?
Is there any benifit in using these over flaked oats?

Jayse

i have some organic flaked oats

have not seen steelcut oats here and so cannot really comment on them

Cereal Mash post still not appearing???

JM

I guess they don't have to be steel cut. I would think cracked raw oats would be the same thing exept cracked with rollers instead of cut in thirds with blades.

Anyway haven't had a whole heap of interest in cereal mashing yet.
It seems flaked versions are the go with using 'raw' grain even in C.A.P it seems flaked maize is the popular choice instead of corn in a cereal mash.

But iam still very interested in using these adjuncts especially oats in my stout.

Jayse

ah the cereal mash post DID appear

thank gawd I don't have to retyp :)

JM

Gidday, I'm going to brew this clone of Big Sky's Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout this week. http://www.byo.com/recipe/799.html
I will be using whitelabs Irish Ale 004 yeast which was donated by Pedro.
There is a shit tin of crystal in this and just curious as to how the US and UK crystal malts vary. If anyone knows I would be interested to hear.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

Back