Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the Oatmeal Stout brewed yesterday, very happy with how it all went, not a single drama which could be because the youngest daughter was in childcare :)

I ended up with a higher OG than I was planning because of improved efficiency B). Consequently I upped the hops to get a BU:GU ratio of 1:2.

Here is the recipe:

OG 1060, 30IBU SRM 35

4.53kgs Pale malt
890g Crystal malt
300g Flaked Oats
230g Chocolate malt
170g Black malt
36g EKG for bittering
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

This was made for the missus but I think she is gunna have to share :D

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

looks good TDA. i put on an oatmeal stout last week. tried a few different things and learned a bit on the way. heres my recipie:

1can coopers stout
1kg pale malt
500g rolled oats
400g roast
400g chocolate

steeped the roast and chocolate overnight. mashed the pale and oats. added some nugget and cascade hops left from an attempt at an ipa.

og 1.040 a bit low but not too concerned about abv with this.

in secondary now, so it will be about a month before i taste it.
joe

Trawling the web thinking of doing an ag oatmeal stout.

Jayse - how was version 2 with the extra chinook? I'm a big fan of chinook, wouldnt mind some in a stout. Actually I have a chinook rhyzome arriving in a couple of weeks.

Inebreiated Gentleman of Middle Eastern Extraction (with a predilection for non PC humorous material) - how is your version posted above tasting? Did the wife let you have any?
Thanks
Simon

PS
Doc, styles are starting to confuse me. Could you oatmeal stout recipe not also be described as a porter, with the absence of roast barley?

No wonder judges notes on several of the beers I sent to Bathhurst said "Wrong class, dickhead"

GL, below is the recipe for the oatmeal stout I bought to your gathering on saturday, used 1028 to ferment it. It is the recipe from the CAMRA book for samuel smiths oatmeal stout.

Useful as a reference if nothing else, drinking one now ... tasty :chug:

Code:
Recipe Specifics

----------------

Batch Size (L):          23.00    Wort Size (L):    23.00

Total Grain (Kg):         4.82

Anticipated OG:          1.052    Plato:            12.86

Anticipated SRM:          25.6

Anticipated IBU:          41.6

Brewhouse Efficiency:       80 %

Wort Boil Time:             90    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

85.2     4.11 kg.  IMC Ale Malt                  Australia      317.42      2

5.1     0.24 kg.  JWM Chocolate Malt            Australia      267.30    381

2.4     0.12 kg.  JWM Roasted Malt              Australia      267.30    609

7.3     0.35 kg.  Flaked Oats                   America        275.65      2

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

22.00 g.     Wye Challenger                    Pellet   7.50  19.9  60 min.

36.00 g.     Fuggle                            Pellet   5.00  21.7  60 min.

Extras

Amount      Name                           Type      Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

0.50 Unit(s)Whirfloc                       Fining    10 Min.(boil)

Jason,
Tasted so many beers on the day. Can remember liking your oatmeal stout, but for the life of me cant remember specific flavours. What was your source of oatmeal?

Uncle toby's quick oats, expensive but apparently the rest of the packet was nice as breakfast :)

Guest Lurker said:
Jason,
Tasted so many beers on the day. Can remember liking your oatmeal stout, but for the life of me cant remember specific flavours. What was your source of oatmeal?
I remember it. One of the better beers of the day. Very stupid move of me to open my stout at the same time. It resembled Samuel Smith's oatmeal to me. Very silky. Was it slightly less dry than SS from memory. Fine drinking.

Guest Lurker said:
Doc, styles are starting to confuse me. Could you oatmeal stout recipe not also be described as a porter, with the absence of roast barley?
GL,

Yes it could.
Mine is based on the Samuel Smith recipe from the European Beers book which doesn't list roasted barley.
It is a very good beer.

Doc

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Gidday, I'm going to brew this clone of Big Sky's Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout this week. http://www.byo.com/recipe/799.html
I will be using whitelabs Irish Ale 004 yeast which was donated by Pedro.
There is a shit tin of crystal in this and just curious as to how the US and UK crystal malts vary. If anyone knows I would be interested to hear.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA
I like the look of that, i think i will do it next after my Oktoberfest or Bock (still dont know what one to do). But i do love a stout. Saying that i do want to do a milk stout too. But first i need to get this big Porter finished & bottled.
So many beers to brew, so little time.

Guest Lurker said:
Trawling the web thinking of doing an ag oatmeal stout.

Inebreiated Gentleman of Middle Eastern Extraction (with a predilection for non PC humorous material) - how is your version posted above tasting? Did the wife let you have any?
Thanks
Simon
GL/Simon, mine is tasting really really good at the moment, I bottled this so I could let some age (yeah, like that is going to happen :rolleyes: ). It is silky smooth with a lovely sweetness at the beginning, then you can taste the dark malts, all chocolate and some bite from the Black malt but not harsh like Roast Barley can be. I'm very happy with it. The missus doesn't like it, reckons its not sweet enough, her loss I guess :lol:

If you do brew it let us all know how it goes.

C&B
TDA

Guest Lurker said:
snipped<
Jayse - how was version 2 with the extra chinook? I'm a big fan of chinook, wouldnt mind some in a stout. Actually I have a chinook rhyzome arriving in a couple of weeks.
Sadly that second batch was tipped out :angry:
Too bloody hot is was 40c in adelaide at the time and although i kept it at around 22c for the most.The irish ale I pulled from the fridge started well in the starter but never come down past 1.030 in the brew.
Anyway I left it for a while and it got infected which brought it down to almost 1.000.One of the sadest brews i have made. :( tastest like black vinegar.

Anyway now that i have been brave enough to admit to my major screw up I will say that chinnook is a perfect hop for this beer.
I will be doing it real soon as the first one still to this day is one of my best beers ever.
I won't be using chinnook in the finish just the start. I go for around 45-50 ibu with OG 1.055 So more like a ratio of .8
No finishing hops at all but the dry stout i did last works well with finishing hops just the oatmeal one i don't think should have them.

Cheers and happy stout making.
Jayse

Hi Guys

After reading this thread I could'nt help but have a go at this style, from your descriptions and recipes posted this beer sounds great.

I couldn't decide which recipe to use so I mixed and matched from the ones posted, apologies to those posters involed. I put the brew down on saturday, this beer is as black as tar but looks thick and creamy, I can't wait for this one to finish.

Her's the recipe so any comments would be appreciated and thanks again to all those involved in this thread.

Oatmeal Stout
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 3/07/2004
Style: Oatmeal Stout Brewer: Andrew Clark
Batch Size: 21.50 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 23.57 L Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Andrew's Mash Equipment Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Ale Malt Maris Otter (3 SRM) Grain 70.2 %
0.50 kg Oats, quick Flaked (1 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt Dark (117 SRM) Grain 7.9 %
0.30 kg Chocolate Malt (508 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils (2 SRM) Grain 4.4 %
0.20 kg Roasted Malt (609 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
35.00 gm Target [10.0%] (60 min) Hops 36.4 IBU
15.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.0%] (60 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.058 SG (1.035-1.060 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 42 SRM (35-200 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 50.5 IBU (20.0-50.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 3.1 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.8 % (3.3-6.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.9 %
Actual Calories per 12 oz: 190 cal

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Mash Tun Weight: 3.50 kg
Mash Grain Weight: 5.70 kg Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Sparge Water: 13.18 L Adjust Temp for Equipment: Yes

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 17.10 L of water at 75.6 C 67.8 C 60 min

That looks good Andrew, personally (and I am no expert here :rolleyes: ) I would not have used the light crystal (carapils) at all and just upped the dark crystal by that amount unless your idea is for helping with head formation.
Anyway, I'm sure it will be a good 'un.

C&B
TDA

I added the carapils for the head, I had read that oats have a high oil content and can sometimes retard the head of this beer so I threw in the carapils just in case.

Looks great Andrew. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.
I've been meaning to try Kents (HomeBrewAdventures) Breakfast of Champions which gets rave reviews.

Beers,
Doc

Recipe for 5 gallon/All- Grain

OG 1.056 FG1.016

Grain Bill at 77% effeiency

7lb.5oz. British Pale
1lb. Acidulated Malt
1lb.4oz. Breiss Extra Special
6oz. Belgian Chocolate
2oz. British Black Patent
2oz. Black Roasted Barley
8oz. Flaked Barley
1lb. Flaked Oats
8oz. Dextrine Malt{Cara-Pils}

Single infusion mash at 153 degrees for 45 minutes
Sparge and collect 7 gal. total

Boil 60 minutes after hot break drops

Hop additions:
.8oz Chinook{12.5% AA} at beginning of boil
.5oz Fuggles{5% AA}last 20 minutes of boil

1 tsp. Irish Moss last 20 minutes of boil

Total collected to primary 5.5 gallons

Wyeast#1084 Irish Ale Yeast in starter of your choice or slurry

Fermented @68 degrees

You better use a blow-off tube,trust me

Bottled with 3.5oz corn sugar

Why add acidulated to a mash with lotsa dark grain? going for a lactic tang thing?

If you are worried about the oils in oatmeal killing the head either use oatmalt or cereal mash the rolled oats. Oats have a ton of protein so you can be sure that your stout will have good head/head retention

Jovial Monk

Looks good andrew, :chug:
I did one yesterday that was very similar.

4.50 kg BB Ale Malt (6 EBC) Grain 75.6 %
0.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2 EBC) Grain 8.4 %
0.45 kg Weyermann Caramunich II (124 EBC) Grain 7.6 %
0.20 kg JWM Roast Barley (1401 EBC) Grain 3.4 %
0.20 kg TF Chocolate Malt (940 EBC) Grain 3.4 %
0.10 kg JWM Roasted Malt (1200 EBC) Grain 1.7 %
32.00 gm Chinook [12.0%] (60 min) Hops 45.9 IBU

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.056 Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Estimated Color: 76 EBC (69-394 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 45.9 IBU (20.0-50.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.1 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.4 % (3.3-6.0 %)

Here's to drinking oatmeal stout :chug: :chug:
Jayse :)

I have a cheap Coopers Stout can ($6 end-of-line sale at Franklins) and planned to minimash the bugger with some oatmeal. I have some "Quick Oats" and a 3Kg capacity in my mini mashtun. I reckon the following should be OK.

2Kg Pilsner Malt
500g Quick Oats
100g roasted barley.

Comments/Suggestions?

Mash this out and boil for an hour then add to the kit in the fermenter.
Sorry to drag kits into this thread, but it's there and I need to brew it :)

IMHO, it should be fine. the only thing i remember/know is that you need to mash the oats with equal or more malt and you've got that covered easily. :)

I suppose it'll taste better than the kit + *shudder* dextrose.

Latest posts

Back