Nz Styrians + Nz D-sazz = ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocore

Reaction score
I fellas, i'm about to put down a bit of a freezer clearance brew and will be making an ale, maris otter, some crystal, some wheat, yorkshire yeast, bittered with super alpha to around 35 IBU an was going to finish it off with the aforementioned hops, was thinking 20g styrians @ 10mins and 20g D-sazz @ flameout.

Thoughts?

I also have in stock some NZ fuggles and some simcoe.

sounds great to me.... although i haven't used less than 60g aroma hops for a while...
i just did an ale yesterday with Halcyon, pale crystal, NZ B Saaz, NZ styrian and pacific hallertau with 3725. NZ "lager" hops are fruity enough to be great for ales.

although my NZ styrians i just got from craftbrewer (07 batch) were extremely stale. smelt like a teabag.

Don't rate the aroma properties of NZ Styrians. I used 25g at flameout in a dark ale but got nothing for aroma. Even the hops themselves had a nothing smell to them. Can't go past Motueka and Pacifica in an ale, going to try them in a pils this weekend actually.

I'd be tempted to go Super Alpha to 30 IBU and then lots of late hopping with D Saaz to get another 8 to 10 IBU. Just my opinion.

C&B
TDA

Don't rate the aroma properties of NZ Styrians. I used 25g at flameout in a dark ale but got nothing for aroma. Even the hops themselves had a nothing smell to them.

Really? :huh: I find this comment strange as ive been using NZ Styrians lately and have fallen in love :wub:

To be honest, I didnt even notice much of a diff between NZ and Imp Styrians.. What year batch did you use? Mine were fresh as..

Same reaction i had when sticking my nose into a bag of NZ styrian flowers.

Where did the aroma go?

If you want styrian like aromas (and dont want the slovenian styrians which float my boat) go NZ green bullet. Thats a kiwi hop i likes a lot.

i'd use more of the d-saaz, but i've only got 20gs left. Is anyone getting much flavour from the NZ styrians? Is a 10 minute addition useless? Am i better off using the NZ fuggles i have?

i'd use more of the d-saaz, but i've only got 20gs left. Is anyone getting much flavour from the NZ styrians? Is a 10 minute addition useless? Am i better off using the NZ fuggles i have?

let your nose be the judge...

last time i used NZ styrian was maybe 4 years ago and i really liked em then - but perhaps it's just this batch.

i do remember reading some stuff a few years back on the old esb randwick site that most NZ hops are fuggles anyway...

let your nose be the judge...

last time i used NZ styrian was maybe 4 years ago and i really liked em then - but perhaps it's just this batch.

i do remember reading some stuff a few years back on the old esb randwick site that most NZ hops are fuggles anyway...

Most if not all NZ hops came from fuggles, but that doesnt make them fuggles, just like cascade isnt fuggles but it started its life that way...

Gibbocore, I get a fair whack of Styrian flavour out of the NZ pellets, my Belgian Rye was hopped only with styrians and I can definately pick the flavour, I dry hopped with it as well and again could well pick the aroma from it..

I use pellets tho, not flowers..

Really? :huh: I find this comment strange as ive been using NZ Styrians lately and have fallen in love :wub:

To be honest, I didnt even notice much of a diff between NZ and Imp Styrians.. What year batch did you use? Mine were fresh as..

Pretty sure they were 06 flowers.
On your recommendations I might have to try the buggers again ;) !

Gibbocore, why don't you try what you originally planned and report back.
Are you using pellets or flowers here?

C&B
TDA

flowers.

I might up the styrians to 30g and start my boil. will report back when theyre in the kettle. Craftbrewer says vanilla, i hope so.

Agree With TDA & Dr Smurto about the NZ Styrians, got little flavour and aroma from them in an Anzac ale and like Dr Smurto I also stuck my nose in the bag before using them and got nothing.

Im prepared to put it down to a bad year though and give them another go at some point.

Cheers,
BB

got a recipe for that belgian rye reviled?

Sure do mate, you helped me with it - Woops, looks like I used a different bittering hop so not completely accurate what I said, but the other additions were Styrian and could def pick the flavour..

4kg NZ Pils
2kg Rye
800g Munich
150g Caramunich II
150g Caraaroma
800g Brown Sugar
60 : 30g Super Alpha 10.5%
20 : 20g NZ Styrians 5.5%
FO : 15g Styrians
Dry : 15g Styrians (secondary 10 days)
Wyeast 3787- pitched at 18* and over 7 days raised to 22*c

I kegged it which I shouldnt have but I couldnt be bothered bottling it, plus its lovely to grab a glass of out of the keg every now and then B)

Sure do mate, you helped me with it - Woops, looks like I used a different bittering hop so not completely accurate what I said, but the other additions were Styrian and could def pick the flavour..

4kg NZ Pils
2kg Rye
800g Munich
150g Caramunich II
150g Caraaroma
800g Brown Sugar
60 : 30g Super Alpha 10.5%
20 : 20g NZ Styrians 5.5%
FO : 15g Styrians
Dry : 15g Styrians (secondary 10 days)
Wyeast 3787- pitched at 18* and over 7 days raised to 22*c

I kegged it which I shouldnt have but I couldnt be bothered bottling it, plus its lovely to grab a glass of out of the keg every now and then B)

sometimes it's good being absent minded, life is constantly surprising, like a goldfish swimming in circles. "oh a castle!" "oh a castle!" "oh a castle!"

im sure it was very tasty. what was yer OG?

sometimes it's good being absent minded, life is constantly surprising, like a goldfish swimming in circles. "oh a castle!" "oh a castle!" "oh a castle!"

im sure it was very tasty. what was yer OG?

My OG suffered a tad cos I tried a "reticulated mash" which was my first time as an experiment, so I upped the sugar from 500g to 800g to compensate, OG was 1079 and FG 1016, it drinks so damn easy for such a big beer, no warm alcohol which I was really stoked about!

i should add here that i have nothing but awe for the range and freshness of hops at craftbrewer... didnt mean my post above to sound like a complaint about them.

Latest posts

Back