Yorkshire Bitter, 8.2 English Best Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too just did a best or esb based on the recipe in Greg Hughs book 'home brew beer'.

1.050 and 36ibu with northern brewer as bittering and ekg at 10 mins for 5 ibu, a little ekg and fuggle as aroma at flame out, like 24 grams combined.
Maris Otter (had been a while between grain bills) a little fawcetts crystal 60 and some torrified wheat and a tiny bit of chocolate for I assume just a bit of color.
Fermented at 20 with u04. Was a good un last time and looking forward to it again!
It's great to drink something a little different to my usual APA's, and Bribies recipe makes me wonder about using a liquid strain for the first time.. why do I seem to brew bitters and pales that ALWAYS have some wheat??! (Rhetorical)

Shall brew a couple without wheat.

I brewed up a batch of Bribie G's recipe in the OP on the weekend. I made one mistake, though. The LHBS didn't have any Aurora or Styrian Goldings so I figured, "Well Styrians must be a type of Goldings, right?". Wrong, should have gone with Fuggles. I'm sure it'll turn out fine though. I just pitched the yeast so I will update in a few weeks when it's ready.

Cheers for the recipe Bribie G.

Yup Goldings should be fine. The reason I use the Slovenian hops is that Timothy Taylor use them to finish their Landlord Bitter.

Hey just did one of these over Easter
Maris Otter
Cara munich 11
Torrified wheat
Choc
Challenger 60 m
Challenger 5 min
Styrian goldings 5 min
Cubed
Using 1099 whitbread wyeast
I'll see how it goes might keg hop IBUs were 31

verysupple said:
I brewed up a batch of Bribie G's recipe in the OP on the weekend. I made one mistake, though. The LHBS didn't have any Aurora or Styrian Goldings so I figured, "Well Styrians must be a type of Goldings, right?". Wrong, should have gone with Fuggles. I'm sure it'll turn out fine though. I just pitched the yeast so I will update in a few weeks when it's ready.

Cheers for the recipe Bribie G.
Fuggles are quite different to styrians, despite the common lineage. Presuming you went for ekg or similar, I think you'll find it works well.

manticle said:
Fuggles are quite different to styrians, despite the common lineage. Presuming you went for ekg or similar, I think you'll find it works well.
Good to know. Yeah, I used EKG.

Kinda O/T but I dry hopped an American Amber (that was tasting a bit too much of the roast malt) with EKG and now it is drinking superbly.
EKG is a lovely hop and used in a few well known beers.

Top of the brew list, finger crossed for Sunday.

Bribie Im going to give this a go over the weekend although slightly amended due to ingredient availability. Styrians at 60, Challenger at both 30 and 0 min and London Ale III.
Im interested in the addition of CaCL2 you mentioned.

I have used almost equal parts CaCl2 and CaSO4 to achieve the balanced profile which is about 80ppm - Ca, 80ppm- SO4 and 75ppm -Cl2.

Are these about the numbers you work with for this beer?

Sorry late.
I haven't used EzWater for years, for YBs I tend just to chuck in a flat tsp of Calcium Chloride. Should get of my arse and check out EzWater again, problem was that it doesn't seem to like the thin mash ratios used by BIAB.

The other problem with Bribie Island was that it went onto the SEQ water grid and you never knew from one day to the next whether you were getting bore water or mountain water. Now I'm in Kyogle I know exactly where the water is coming from, might pop down to the Council.

I was using CaSO4 as well I'd certainly go equal parts, around a level tsp of each for a soft water area.

Thanks mate. I might stick with my calcs as that profile has worked well for similar beers in the past.

louistoo said:
I too just did a best or esb based on the recipe in Greg Hughs book 'home brew beer'.

1.050 and 36ibu with northern brewer as bittering and ekg at 10 mins for 5 ibu, a little ekg and fuggle as aroma at flame out, like 24 grams combined.
Maris Otter (had been a while between grain bills) a little fawcetts crystal 60 and some torrified wheat and a tiny bit of chocolate for I assume just a bit of color.
Fermented at 20 with u04. Was a good un last time and looking forward to it again!
It's great to drink something a little different to my usual APA's, and Bribies recipe makes me wonder about using a liquid strain for the first time.. why do I seem to brew bitters and pales that ALWAYS have some wheat??! (Rhetorical)

Shall brew a couple without wheat.
So this post was off topic as recipe is a southern bitter but I can't help saying it turned out awesome!.

Brewing a slightly modified recipe this weekend. An almost double batch using a 17lt cube. I hope to use it on a soon to be cleaned and maintenance"d beer engine :D The other cube for a lowish carbed keg.

Everything in this beer is new for me . Ive never used any of these malts or hops before. Same % as Bribies first post but using,

Pearl
Simpsons heritage

North down
Challenger
Styrian G

Hanging for some bitters.
I think it will be nice :p

This turned out quite good but I had some yeast issues. ******* stalled at 1.030 @19C. Swirled, bumped temp to 21C and down to 1.020 after a few days. Another swirl, another bump to 22C and finally got it to 1.014. Got sick of waiting so CC and kegged.
Nice bright beer, good flavours although heavy on the esters due to temp. Unfortunately due to my impatience I also got some acetylaldehyde but not enough to make the beer bad. I can taste it but fellow drinkers seem to think its "bloody good.'
Will try again with a massive yeast pitch and let it go for a week after FG.

Good to know. Ive brewed the my beer but ive had the yeast in the fridge for about 2 months. I am hoping to split my starters 3 ways and then make another starter from a 3rd. I hope its enough with a bit of o2.

Got this on the boil at the moment. I don't have any Aurora but have Challenger and EKG. No-chilling. Did you no-chill Bribie and if so were you additions as per the recipe? I'm tossing up whether to put the Challenger in later to showcase it some more, say at flameout then some EKG when whirlpooling.

Might ask for advice next time earlier than 30 mins before I need an answer. Went Challenger 15 mins, EKG at flameout. Smelled bloody good, holy smokes did it smell good. Floccy 1469 stirring up as we speak.

+1
Ed, I no chill and in recent months have gone to cube hopping.

So no chill and did additions at 30 mins? This isn't a practice I do, all of my brews are either 60 mins or at/after flameout.

Latest posts

Back