Want to use up some Simcoe I have ...IIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spohaw

Reaction score
Hello everyone !

I have some Simcoe here that I haven't kept in the freezer and want to use it up before it goes to "funny"

So would like some opinions on this recipe I have been ginning around with

Its for a 23ltr brew ....... guess you could call it a IIPA

2kg of Maris otter
2kg of Munich
2kg of Malted wheat
1kg of unmalted wheat
100 gm of Dark crystal (will steep this)
150 gm of Caramunich ( was going to steep this too)

mash all this at 64 for 60 ....dont want to much body ...not a fan of thick beers

and then 300gm of simcoe at 10 minutes

will use whirlfloc and yeast nutes at 10 minutes too

couple packets of us-05

Brew mates coming up with 8.7% and ibu's at 153

Not to worried if it doesnt work out that high a % ......my efficiency is pretty poor when I use unmalted wheat

I was going to use 300gm of the dark crystal to get some more malty flavours to maybe balance out the hops a bit more and to get a nice colour but thought it might add too much unwanted burnt malt flavour

also have some amber malt here i could use and some caramel but unsure.....

Cheers in advance !

There are a lot of malts in there as it is, I'd be leaving the amber out for sure.. If you want the dark Crystal, chuck it in for the last half hour or 20 minutes only

Yob said:
There are a lot of malts in there as it is, I'd be leaving the amber out for sure.. If you want the dark Crystal, chuck it in for the last half hour or 20 minutes only
And that won't add to much burnt malt flavour ?

Think I've read people call it "toffee" haha

I'd save 100g for a dry hop and use the other 200g at flameout. Run a 30-50min whirlpool letting it drop in temp to 75C on its own accord. Then keep at 75C until 50 mins is up.

You wont get burnt / roast flavours from crystal malts or cara malts. Cara and crystal malts are not the same, but close enough to be interchangeable. Thats a discussion for another day.
To get any burnt flavours youre going to need Roast, chocolate, Black Patent type of malts.
I'd be chucking it all in at the same time. IMO, dont bother about steeping late for those two. I only steep at mashout ramp for the black malts. Basically anything with roast or black in its name.
I dont know about unmalted wheat though. Never used it.

Jacob Thomas said:
I'd save 100g for a dry hop and use the other 200g at flameout. Run a 30-50min whirlpool letting it drop in temp to 75C on its own accord. Then keep at 75C until 50 mins is up.
Put it through brew mate and ibu's came down to a respectable level (100 odd) so I will do that

Helluva lota wheat... I would have gone for more caramunich & left out the dark crystal. If you want a bit more colour you could add some RB.

Also... so much simcoe! Makes me think of this Green Flash West Coast IPA recipe. And makes me want to brew, drink, IPA.... :icon_drool2:

Will have go down to the lhbs to get more caramunich , think I only have 200 odd grams ...... No rb either

Could up it to 200

I like wheat flavour too
Been liking American wheat beer lately

Making this tomorrow but without the dark crystal and only 280 grams of simcoe

I'll chuck all the hops in at flame out and then no chill

I'll chuck in a packet of muntons west coast ale yeast and a packet of us-05 ...... I'll just rehydrate them , no starter

Might 300 gms of dextrose as well for a ABV boost .......... Don't think this will be a session beer so it will be one or two at a time max (maybe)

If it comes out around 9ish % I should be able to get a buzz going off two

Sounds good.. I dropped 125g as a dry hop yesterday, 50g of that was Simcoe. Looking forward to getting it in the keg (with maybe some more simcoe in the keg too)!

Must be a simcoe IIPA kind of month - seventh down.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/84424-what-are-you-brewing-2015/page-32

To busy with the malts in my opinion. Even the gods of IIPA keep it simple.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

Got myself one of these babies the other day and am keen to see hoe hop standing at different temps compares against dry hopping. Looks like a better idea all round, at least on paper. And in the kettle. And the fermenter.

4_by_10_300_micron_brew_filter_angle_three.jpg

Sounds great mofox , sounds like something I would drink
Maybe do a bottle swap when this ready ?

Thanks for the link to that IIPA right up dave .. It's was a great read
How do you think choc malt will do in an IIPA ?

Finally got around to making this today , I'm slack haha

Going to add mosaic to hit the 300 gm hop target I originally wanted

See how I go

Spohaw said:
Sounds great mofox , sounds like something I would drink
Maybe do a bottle swap when this ready ?

Thanks for the link to that IIPA right up dave .. It's was a great read
How do you think choc malt will do in an IIPA ?
Mainly to ad a little color and a touch of bitter-sweetness. Not that you'll really notice in a beer like this.
I'm also not much of a crystal fan and want to see how it stacks up.

Might have to grab some chocolate malt and use it in my next ipa instead of the crystal ......do you just substitute the choc 1 for 1 or do you use less chocolate malt ?

I used Mangrove Jacks yeast too not muntons .......I was drinking and got mixed up haha

only come in at 1.072 and only got 18 liters out of the kettle , it looks like the hop pellets have soaked up some wort

I'm not to worried but ....... I'm sure it will be too bitter to drink anyway !

I always account for 12mls per gram of hops for final volume. Try that next batch.

Back