Yorkshire Bitter, 8.2 English Best Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted the original recipe as the all-purpose version and should maybe have said to adjust for no chill as per your usual schedule.

For example when following a lot of traditional UK recipes where they tend to put in a shit load of EKG etc for the last 10 minutes I move that to cube hopping.

With the Challenger at 30 you could move it to 20 or even 10 as it's mainly there for the marmalade.

Put down a new English bitter today. Using White Labs WLP005 which I built a starter for. Haven't strayed too far away from Bribie's recipe although took the opportunity to use up a few last bits of grain:

3.75kg Maris Otter
0.15kg Caramalt
0.15kg Medium Crystal
0.15kg Dark Crystal
0.05kg Wheat malt

30g Northdown @ 60
20g Fuggles @ 30
20g Fuggles @ 0

WLP005 British Ale Yeast

Even if its no TTLL, it'll still be beer and I'm sure I won't have a problem drinking it! It'll be used to test my new cask.

Put down one on the weekend

90% gladfield ale malt
5% victory
5% caramunich 2
30g challenger FWH
20g challenger in the cube (no chill)
23L and 34IBU
Used 1469. Stepped up a starter to save some for another brew and it kicked off in 12 hours at 17C.

Should be a little over 4% when bottled, so a nice summer drink - or likely spring as it may not last that long.

Wanted to get some feedback from experienced tasters, last trip back to olde Blighty I was drinking TTL in a pub in that London and found it quite watery. Im assuming this isn't normal?

Just put an Ordinary Bitter down too

Marris Otter 3,7kg

carramunich11 150g

pale wheat 150g

choc malt 50g

acid malt 20g

challenger all the way 32 IBU

Came in a bit high 1045 mashed highish might have to add some water maybe
for 3.8% or just go for 4.2% Best Bitter

Using Whitbread Ale yeast 1099

I'm a relative newby with a partial grain + DME set up and still trying to nail a good YB. I was interested in the temperature of the 1469 making a difference to the final flavour, could someone expand on that i.e how the lower temperatures and higher temperatures affect the flavours?

I'm a relative newby with a partial grain + DME set up and still trying to nail a good YB. I was interested in the temperature of the 1469 making a difference to the final flavour, could someone expand on that i.e how the lower temperatures and higher temperatures affect the flavours?
Basically lower temps reduce ester production by the yeast giving a "cleaner" fermentation while warmer temps will increase esters. Depending on yeast strain this can be a good or bad thing. English strains can give fruity or floral esters so fermentimg warm within the temp range of the yeast strain can help to get those flavours and aromas in your beer.

1469 is very versatile (and effing delicious) as well. Probably my favourite English strain.

Happily run it fruity from low to mid 20s for a good English bitter with good yeast character, or keep it cleaner for an APA around 17.

1469 is very versatile (and effing delicious) as well. Probably my favourite English strain.

Happily run it fruity from low to mid 20s for a good English bitter with good yeast character, or keep it cleaner for an APA around 17.
Up to now I've fermented at 20C with temperature control for the whole fermentation period which is usually 2 weeks,so you go up to 25C for the whole fermentation period?

Pretty sure some beers like doombar (although not specifically a yorkshire bitter) are fermented closer to 25'C for the whole period.

Give it a crack at 22-23'C.

Pretty sure some beers like doombar (although not specifically a yorkshire bitter) are fermented closer to 25'C for the whole period.

Give it a crack at 22-23'C.
Drank a fair bit bit of Doombar on my last visit to the UK a good quaffer IMO. I will try the higher temp on the next batch using 1469. Just read an interesting Brulosophy article on brewing two batches of the same wort with wlp002 at two different temperatures 66F and 76F I think it was, and none of the people tasting the samples could taste any difference?

It's pretty happy chugging around 17°C, but can easily be pushed higher with great results as well.

Latest posts

Back