Nz Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
Just got wondering if anyone has used New Zealand malts - or even if there are NZ malts?

With such an awesome bunch of hops from there, are there any NZ-specific malts? What's the NZ maltster?

Anyone sell 25kg sacks of NZ pale/pils malt?

There seems to be a pale malt there. I'd expect it would be fairlt close to uk malts due to climate, and apparently barley is very well suited to uk climates so it's probably pretty good. what character due to kilning it has I have no idea.

http://www.cryermalt.co.nz/index.php?id=8

Malteurop produce quite a bit of Pilsen malt in NZ for both the commercial and homebrew market, but I doubt that they label it as being NZ malt.

We had a bulk buy down here in Geelong for it a few years ago, about $1/kg is what we got it for. It was an OK malt, nothing to write home about. I know several other Corio Bay Brewers use it almost exclusively.

In this recipe for the NZ Mash Up beer they use Gladfield Ale malt which is a NZ grown malt Mash Up Recipe They say that you can sub it with Vienna malt. I'm itching to make that recipe but Riwaka hops are so hard to get hold of! Hoping to get some when I go to NZ in a month.

Hi Nick JD & Co,

NZ indeed does have some great malting barley, wheat and oats for craft brewers and home brewers. There is the very large (the world's largest) malting MaltEurop based in Martin, North Island NZ.

There is also a less well known in macro but very well known in micro and home brewing circles: Gladfield Malt started 10+ years ago by husband and wife team Doug & Gabi Michael who are 5th generation malting barley growers.

We are very pleased to say these malts are now available for delivery to home brewers AU wide through www.beerco.com.au and our retail partners (growing fast)! http://www.beerco.com.au/retail-partners/

Ask your favourite local home brew shop to get in touch with us and get some Gladfield Malt in stock, rummage up your friends at your home brew club for a bulk buy or get online and get some Gladfield Malt in your mash tun :)

You won't regret brewing with Gladfield Malt! Plenty of great recipes up on our blog as well for food for thought www.beerco.com.au/blog

Brew happy!

cheers,

No, it wasn't, it was clearly directed at NickJD who will be around to reply very shortly.

Hi

mje1980,
I have been known to shamelessly or no shamelessly plug NZ malt and Gladfield Malt - must remove that eye patch.

I plug any farmer/family owned malting that takes pride from paddock to mash tun.

Happy to plug the good work of the boys - Stu & Brad @VoyagerMalt AU as well and think one of things we need to see more of in craft/homebrewing community is growers getting involved and using their expertise in growing great grains, hops, etc to help us all brew better :)

Then we can only blame our tools for bad beers or even ourselves as not so great but oh some humble homebrewers :)

Brew happy :) malty, hoppy & yeasty!

Hi chaps,
Another one if you want to listen to what it takes for a farmer & his wife to build a modern craft malting on their farm rather than sell their beloved barley to the multinational behemoth maltings you can listen to the following short 15 mins interviews with Gabi & Doug Michael @GladfieldMalt - shared on our blog of the week: http://www.beerco.com.au/blog/storytime-with-gabi-doug-michael-gladfieldmalt/

Brew happy :)
Dermott

Cheers

DU99
The Malting scene is rather like the brewing scene a few mighty huge multinational behemouths but the good news is craft beer growth and home brewing is supporting a new wave of craft maltings not only in NZ, but now in AU and in US and hopefully other countries as well.

A great podcast out there somewhere on the brewing network talking to the founders of Mid Valley Malting in USA which was a startup malting in NE USA that has not had small independent maltings for over 100+ years and they got supported from day 1 by local craft brewers and home brew clubs - all good stuff and signs of a rebirth of industry at the small end of town.

PS Found link to Valley Maltings in USA who started the micromaltings association like the BA in USA : http://valleymalt.com/

PS I should add as I'm discovering more interesting gems in the AHB forums the rise of AU craft maltings as well which is great to see. Spotted two of late and wish them both the very best for the continued growth of craft malting in AU and further afield:

1. http://www.voyagercraftmalt.com.au/
  2. http://www.notforhorses.com.au/
So good to see the growth of craft malting alongside craft beer - I'll drink to that :) even better brew with that!

cheers

BeerCoAU said:
Hi

mje1980,
I have been known to shamelessly or no shamelessly plug NZ malt and Gladfield Malt - must remove that eye patch.

I plug any farmer/family owned malting that takes pride from paddock to mash tun.

Happy to plug the good work of the boys - Stu & Brad @VoyagerMalt AU as well and think one of things we need to see more of in craft/homebrewing community is growers getting involved and using their expertise in growing great grains, hops, etc to help us all brew better :)

Then we can only blame our tools for bad beers or even ourselves as not so great but oh some humble homebrewers :)

Brew happy :) malty, hoppy & yeasty!
Hi mate,
Shameless plugs are fine when they are relevant to the forum (yours is), transparent (reasonably so) and posted in the right section. As a retailer and forum sponsor we do ask that promotion of products you sell be kept in the appropriate section. Same goes for all sponsors and retailers. You are welcome to pm any member who asks about products in non retail threads.
Please and cheers.

Noted

manticle
still learning the ropes on these forums and appreciate the helpful tips to stay within the the field of play :)

Back