Nz Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs80

Reaction score
Hey all,
Im a big fan of what NZ is doing with their hop development.

Im thinking of an american pale ale using nelson sauvin and pacific gem hops. Im after and oaky wine background and am wondering if anyone has experience in using these hops?

I've used both in single hop brews. The pacific Gem I found can be overdone if too much is added late and can end up making your beer taste like you've added a huge whack of blackberry cordial. The nelson I love - this can be overdone too.

Use them - but in moderation.

Havnt used pacific gem, but Sauvin is awesome, just as Rooting Kings says, use in moderation cos its pretty powerfull!

It isn't clear to me whether you've used either or both of these in the past, or whether you are just chasing feedback on the combination.
I say go for it, these are two hops I like a lot, particularly NS. I agree slightly with the moderation idea, but my idea of moderation with NS is perhaps a little bigger than others...
If you've used them before you'll have an idea of the levels you like, so you can base your hop schedule around that.

It sounds like a great combination to me. I'd even consider an IPA perhaps?

If doing an APA I'd suggest leaning on the side of moderation, but give them a nice malt backdrop to go against. I've only used Pacific Gem in a stout, so the character was hidden a lot by the roast, but it was there enough to be picked up by judges...

I have made two Golden Kiwi Ales with a kilo of maize in the mash and two NZ hops in each brew. The first one was Green Bullet / NZ Cascade and the current one bottled last week was NZ Cascade / BSaaz and it's tasting incredible at this stage. I haven't tried the hops referred to by the OP but keen to try the Nelson Sauvin when I've used up the Cascade.

Really surprised to learn that they all come from the South Island in the Nelson area, hence the Nelson Sauvin; I thought the only thing they grew there was sheep and hobbits :p

I've done a few extract brews using Pacific Gem and B Saaz, and a whole heap using Nelson Sauvin only for all three hops additions.

Pacific Gem used as a bittering hop I found very neutral - not much flavour there, and pretty mellow bitter given it's AAs.

Nelson Sauvin to me is very peachy/nectarine, even though they say gooseberry like Sauv Blanc ... use too much and you'll get something approaching wine cooler.

I've had great success mixing caramel malt extracts and NS hops. I think they complement each other.

Southern Cross is also a great hop like NS to use for all hop additions.

I have made two Golden Kiwi Ales with a kilo of maize in the mash and two NZ hops in each brew. The first one was Green Bullet / NZ Cascade and the current one bottled last week was NZ Cascade / BSaaz and it's tasting incredible at this stage. I haven't tried the hops referred to by the OP but keen to try the Nelson Sauvin when I've used up the Cascade.

Really surprised to learn that they all come from the South Island in the Nelson area, hence the Nelson Sauvin; I thought the only thing they grew there was sheep and hobbits :p
I brewed an APA using just NS and it was really well received by non craft beer drinkers at my last party. I say go for it. Great use of these new NZ hops.

I'm thinking of picking up a few bags of NZ hops when I'm there in July. Anyone know of a good source on the South Island?

I brewed an APA using just NS and it was really well received by non craft beer drinkers at my last party. I say go for it. Great use of these new NZ hops.

I'm thinking of picking up a few bags of NZ hops when I'm there in July. Anyone know of a good source on the South Island?

The hops area is right up on the north of the south island - but I'd be concerned with getting small bags of green vegetable matter through aussie customs ... they'll shoot you on the spot for an apple. :unsure:

The hops area is right up on the north of the south island - but I'd be concerned with getting small bags of green vegetable matter through aussie customs ... they'll shoot you on the spot for an apple. :unsure:
Customs don't give a rats about apples.

Transformer Megatrons that turn into toy guns on the other hand...

Hey Josh, http://nzhops.co.nz/ is based in Nelson on the south island, you should try to get in touch with them cos they do NZ hops cheap as, like $29 for a kilo of Nelson Sauvin last time I got em, a bit more for B and D Saaz, but still good value!

You coming to the North Island at all?

I just racked off an all Nelson Sauvin pale ale into secondary, with some extra dry NS.
Smells amazing; intense citrus but not like American grapefruit, it's almost like lime and lemon, plenty of Sav. Blanc-esque gooseberry, but I really reckon it also has a real sweetness about, like really ripe stonefruit flesh. Hard to describe, i've been meaning to use this hop exclusively for yonks.

As for Pacific Gem, have used it in conjunction with other Kiwi hops, so I can't really narrow down the specifics, but they certainly do have a unique smell about them.

Should be a ripper of a combination anyway. So many possibilities with all of the NZ varieties around ATM.

Customs No Problem: Quarantine with sniffer dogs will nail you.

Taking apples into Zee Newland will cop you a hefty fine.

Don't you knuckleheads ever watch Border Security ?

Indian Cricket team and dirty boots :icon_offtopic:

I taken hops from nz to aus no probs get pellets declare make sure they are sealed by manufacture u been fine the last time i bought some back aquis and customs had to look up there computers as they werent sure

Nelson Sauvin to me is very peachy/nectarine, even though they say gooseberry like Sauv Blanc ... use too much and you'll get something approaching wine cooler.

And if you're not careful it can rocket right up into cat piss territory.

megs, if you're hoping that the Pacific Gem will give you any sort of sweet winelike oakiness you'll be out of luck, though it does contribute a marvellous woody character in my experience. As well as the blackberry notes that have been mentioned, though I've never succeeded in capturing them in a pac gem beer. They smell great off the boil though.

Hello dere fellow quaffers, :(

With the Aus $ being worth around N.Z. $1.25, NZ hops would be a good buy at the moment. I just sent an email to that NZ hops joint to see if they can post some over.
Let ya's know.

cheers
BB

Hello dere fellow quaffers, :(

With the Aus $ being worth around N.Z. $1.25, NZ hops would be a good buy at the moment. I just sent an email to that NZ hops joint to see if they can post some over.
Let ya's know.

cheers
BB

Any news Burper ??

Cheers
Q

Customs don't give a rats about apples.

Perhaps in your neck of the woods Josh but since this state isn't crawling with fruit flies you would be publicly flogged, then burned alive if you dare brought over an apple from NZ (or any other state of Oz for that matter) :lol:

Their hops on the other hand are more than welcome. :super:

I was under the impression that Fat Yak was a kiwi hopped APA, Nelson Sauvin and Cascade?

Latest posts

Back