Nz Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do a bloody nice Fuggle that has been the mainstay of many a UK bitter because you can get the whole flowers. Apparently we can only get the pellets and plugs from the UK for quarantine reasons as they can't hide tarantulas or whatever stupid reason. I also love Green Bullet with a vengeance (drinking one now) so I'd be into a buy. Actually I live round the corner from the BB - he doesn't get online too often as he's not a bum on seat guy but I'll quiz him personally when I catch up with him for our weekly drinkables. :icon_cheers: Forgot to mention it on Monday but after a couple of jugs of his latest stout I wasn't remembering too much.

Perhaps in your neck of the woods Josh but since this state isn't crawling with fruit flies you would be publicly flogged, then burned alive if you dare brought over an apple from NZ (or any other state of Oz for that matter) :lol:

Their hops on the other hand are more than welcome. :super:

I was under the impression that Fat Yak was a kiwi hopped APA, Nelson Sauvin and Cascade?

Yes to FAT YAK....

you would be so busted in WA!

Perhaps in your neck of the woods Josh but since this state isn't crawling with fruit flies you would be publicly flogged, then burned alive if you dare brought over an apple from NZ (or any other state of Oz for that matter) :lol:

I was under the impression that Fat Yak was a kiwi hopped APA, Nelson Sauvin and Cascade?
The point I was making is that Customs and Border Control or whatever they're called now isn't concerned with apples beyond letting AQIS know they've found one. Customs have nothing to do with checking domestic mail, that is also the domain of AQIS.

I'll probably only bring pellets back from NZ, just to save the hassle at the airport.

I was told that this correct DrSmurto. Nelson Sauvin for flavour, Cascade for aroma.

Hello dere fellow quaffers, :(

With the Aus $ being worth around N.Z. $1.25, NZ hops would be a good buy at the moment. I just sent an email to that NZ hops joint to see if they can post some over.
Let ya's know.

cheers
BB

Hello dere fellow P. A.'s

No reply from NZ yet, will send them a reminder in a few days.

Must have good local business. :icon_cheers:

cheers
BB

NZ hops won't sell to Aussie customers and will refer you elsewhere to a distributor. At least that was the case when I last got some from them.

If you go there, get Pellets not cones, the cones will have to be fumigated at your cost as well has having to have an import fee payable for inspection - see http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...;LogSessionID=0 or http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_Query...ueryType=Search shows you that it's ok for pellets. The rules changed a few years ago, before that it was fairly easy, but now, well, unless you get 10 or 16 mates together then it is too expensive. I don't really see the need to get flowers anyway, all they do is clog the kettle.

I got a few from NZ hops directly by post (I think it was early last year) but they don't do it anymore. Was good while it lasted, even in the 100g bags it was $4 or so including shipping for each one. Still have unopened vac packs of NS, Pacific Hallertau and D Saaz in the chest freezer :)

It's almost worth going over by plane with airfares being what they are, bringing back 40kg worth and paying excess baggage and then you can split it or organise a bulk buy on AHB, any takers?

NZ hops won't sell to Aussie customers and will refer you elsewhere to a distributor. At least that was the case when I last got some from them.

If you go there, get Pellets not cones, the cones will have to be fumigated at your cost as well has having to have an import fee payable for inspection - see http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...;LogSessionID=0 or http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_Query...ueryType=Search shows you that it's ok for pellets. The rules changed a few years ago, before that it was fairly easy, but now, well, unless you get 10 or 16 mates together then it is too expensive. I don't really see the need to get flowers anyway, all they do is clog the kettle.

I got a few from NZ hops directly by post (I think it was early last year) but they don't do it anymore. Was good while it lasted, even in the 100g bags it was $4 or so including shipping for each one. Still have unopened vac packs of NS, Pacific Hallertau and D Saaz in the chest freezer :)

It's almost worth going over by plane with airfares being what they are, bringing back 40kg worth and paying excess baggage and then you can split it or organise a bulk buy on AHB, any takers?

DJR, i had a quick read of link for pellets you posted and it seems i need to apply for an ePermit to import some. Do you know if that costs money?

DJR, i had a quick read of link for pellets you posted and it seems i need to apply for an ePermit to import some. Do you know if that costs money?

From the link:

This commodity is classified as a Category 1 assessment for the purposes of determining the Import Permit fee rate that applies. The fee rate is $40.00 per assessable item in addition to the electronic lodgement fee of $85.00 or the manual lodgement fee of $150.00 applies.

Note that the fee for the lodgement and assessment of an ePermit application is $125.00.

Exxy. Stick to pellets and you won't be slugged.

Thanks for the info, DJR.

Looks like the little public servants have again sat down and devised ways of making life

difficult (read more expensive) for the rest of us.

cheers :icon_cheers:
BB

I dont see why that would be? They happily sell to hb'ers in NZ so dont see why they wouldnt sell to hb'ers over the ditch...

You will quite possibly need to email them a few times, Doreen can be quite busy and has a habit of not replying :icon_cheers:

Ask for some cascade, im sure they will jump at the opportunity to offload some to ya :lol:

I think you will find some Aussie home brew supplies have got deals with nz hops thats why they deal with oz sellers and not direct

I dont see why that would be? They happily sell to hb'ers in NZ so dont see why they wouldnt sell to hb'ers over the ditch...

You will quite possibly need to email them a few times, Doreen can be quite busy and has a habit of not replying :icon_cheers:

Ask for some cascade, im sure they will jump at the opportunity to offload some to ya :lol:

r,

Thanks. I have sent Doreen an email about purchasing 100g packs. I also
mentioned I was a member of this forum, with over 3,000 members etc etc.,
so they may see the commercial potential there.

Surely importing 100g packs of hop pellets would not cause great panic, pulling of hair, and gnashing of teeth by the customs stazi.

Again, I will let youse know.

cheers
BB

Back