Nz Beer At 1st Choice Liqour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Just took a trip down to 1st Choice liqour store hoping to find some Rochefort 8, but alas, no luck - Did however pick the following for a NZ night...

Mac_s.jpg

Monteith_s.jpg

Quite a few new ones for me amongst this lot - What's the pick from those who've tried them?

Cheers Ross

the radler is not one of my fave!! didnt impress me much. i do like the montieths black though. really rich.

I've tried all the Monteith's beers in the pic except the Radler. I enjoyed most of them, especially the 'Black'. The Pilsner is also very good when it is fresh. The weak link IMHO was the 'Celtic Red', but then I'm not a fan of most of the Irish Red style ales I've tried. I haven't seen the Mac's beers around, but I'll keep an eye out for them now.

Shawn.

The Mac's Black is a top beer and a big seller in NZ.
The Montieth's Black is just as good.

BK

The copperhop is a good drop. Actually, none of them are really bad (tho I have not tried teh Radler).

dreamboat

Those ring-pulls on the Mac's beers make me pine for a pre 1990's Coopers SA. :(

Bring back the hand-grenade. :beerbang:

Warren -

The Radler is really really bad in my opinion. It's not even one of those beers which tastes better on tap...still very bad. Celtic Red was also a pretty bad.

Personally I'm a big fan of Speights Old Dark. For the price (pretty cheap, and pretty unbelievably cheap in NZ) you get a nice dark beer, not very stouty, a lovely nice off white head that lasts, and a desire to drink a half case (why don't more of our beers come in the half case!)

Export Dry is also a top beer. But they changed the label (and I think the recipe) a couple of years ago, still very good, but not quite what I remember. It's gotten a little hoppier (not to my liking).

As far as the Macs go, the blonde is pretty good. But most of the beers are 4%. As someone who would pour light beer down the sink before I'd drink it, and who prefers beer alchohol ranges from 5%+ I really taste the difference at 4.

The Mac reserve looked interesting. I'd like to know how that one tastes.

Mic

mhan7073 said:
As far as the Macs go, the blonde is pretty good. But most of the beers are 4%. As someone who would pour light beer down the sink before I'd drink it, and who prefers beer alchohol ranges from 5%+ I really taste the difference at 4.

The Mac reserve looked interesting. I'd like to know how that one tastes.

Mic
[post="123808"][/post]​

Interesting, someone at Mac's must have heard you complaint - All the beers are 5% not 4.
The Mac's Reserve I really enjoyed, I'm not really a lager drinker, but this is hopped with Green Bullet & Nelson Sauvin (a personal favourite) - It's very spicy with the lovely grape flavour of the NS on the finish...
The black was my favourite with the Blonde the only one to disappoint...

Cheers Ross

I have drunk many, many of the Monteiths Black - it's certainly one of my favourite beers.

If you ever get the chance, get down to Greymouth on the South Island, in the dead middle of winter, on a sat night.

Have some beer, watch some rugby in the pub, then engage in whatever the locals are doing at the time (they're a bit slower down south, it could be that the Macarena is popular there right now!).

Certainly an experiance to remember..

Most Mac's beers are a good drop - however just rip into them and judge for yourself.

Cheers - Mike

mhan7073 said:
Personally I'm a big fan of Speights Old Dark...
Um, isn't Speights Old Dark 4%? :huh:

hey ho,

The Radler's certainly a refreshing beer in summer, but as as German Beer Avocado, I'd like to get all pedantic and remind viewers that a Radler is two things: a cycling enthusiast and a Shandy (for cycling enthusiasts who wanna stay wobble-free or whatever). Good old Monteiths got excited and made it a citrusy full-strength beer, bless them, when really it's just your bog-standard Pils or whatever you fancy with boring old lemonade. Germany, being a group of nations more or less, has great diversity and I'm sure somewhere behind a mountain rock lies a brewery that makes Radler's like Monteiths to prove me wrong...

Coming from Greymouth (more or less) it's always a giggle that the beer no one would drink unless they were fairly old or poor (it was cheaper) when I grew up there was Monteiths original, now made in Auckland and sold at $12 a half dozen. Magic. Alcoholism was always just around the corner in Greymouth cos the Tomato Soup fermentation smells of the DB/monteiths brewery wafted through the highschool like a Stephen King mist. Getting misty eyed myself, better go and bottle that stout I'd forgotten about.

Over.

Copperhop is the top drop of Ross's bunch !

Sassy Red is even better though ..

When I said 4% I was thinking in particular of beers like Stag, but also Mac's gold which I'm pretty sure is 4%.

http://www.macs.co.nz/beers.asp

TASTE AND AROMA: Mac's Gold has a light fruitiness with hints of citrus and sweet malt. The subtle mid palate bitterness of the hops is balanced by a smooth, delicate caramel sweetness that leaves a crisp finish and refreshing aftertaste. An exceptionally sessionable favourite that tempts the drinker to try another.
COLOUR: Subtle golden hue (as you would expect).
ALC.VOL: 4%
FOOD MATCHING: Mac's Gold mixes well with foods that have light and subtle ingredients, like roasted chicken.
SERVING TECHNIQUE: Serve at 4 C in a clean, dry glass, ensuring a generous, tight head (looks are part of the experience!)
AWARDS: BrewNZ 2004

Yes Speight's Old Dark is 4%. Every rule is allowed an exception right? Right!

macs copperhop is great and i liked the reserve and the gold is a hot summer day swiller

montieht pils i had was shit and the celtic on tap was ok i loved the black and the radler is a girlie dring the origal is ok i had that on tap as well

on my brewey tout of montieths last week they told us any the black and original and l/e is brewed in greymouth and in open fermentors mor pics to follow

Ok, so anybody know anywhere in Wollongong or Sydney where I can get kiwi beers? You used to be able to get Monteiths at Woolies but I haven't seen it there in a while.

ta
mycle.

Mycle

You should be able to pick up Monteith's at Woollies owned Dan Murphys stores.
Check www.danmurphys.com.au for store locations.

The Mac's appears to be available at the Coles owned 1st Choice Liquour.
Where Ross aquired them.
No stores in Sydney area yet but I'm sure that will change sometime this year.
1stchoice.com.au

Brett

mycle said:
Ok, so anybody know anywhere in Wollongong or Sydney where I can get kiwi beers? You used to be able to get Monteiths at Woolies but I haven't seen it there in a while.

ta
mycle.
[post="123980"][/post]​

Amatos definately have a few. www.amatos.com.au

Monteith, Steinlager and Tui and I think thats all.

Though I would think Dan Murphys would be worth a shot. They might be able to order it in for you if they don't have it.

I tried the Mac's Copperhop last night and was very impressed. This is one well-crafted IPA. I bought a 6 pack for $13 from Vintage Cellars and will be going back for a carton next time.

Cheers - Snow

Just bought some Mac's CopperHop at Liquorland, it was only $40 a carton ($1 more than they sell VB). Might be the same price but there's no comparison in taste.

Bruce

Must have tasted a few to many before writing the last post.

It was Vintage Cellars where I got the Mac's.

Bruce

Latest posts

Back