Nylon Olive

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if the nylon olive that I am going to use for my HLT sightglass can handle boiling water. The brass compression fitting came with a copper olive & I replaced that with a nylon one.

Crusty

I have nylon in mine for a year or 2,it did ge loose with the heat just keep nipping it up for are while
sav

I have nylon in mine for a year or 2,it did ge loose with the heat just keep nipping it up for are while
sav

What sort of tube are you using?
Got any pics of the other bits you are using?
Im looking at making one myself shortly.

gregor

What sort of tube are you using?
Got any pics of the other bits you are using?
Im looking at making one myself shortly.

gregor

I just got a length of 1/2" ploycarbonate tubing. I used a brass compression elbow female x male 1/2" as I am screwing it to a 1/2" nipple out of the HLT. If you have a socket welded into your HLT, just ask for a male x male 1/2" compression fitting. The fitting came with a copper olive, I tossed that out & bought a nylon one instead. It cost me less than $10.00.

002.jpg

Crusty

I just got a length of 1/2" ploycarbonate tubing. I used a brass compression elbow female x male 1/2" as I am screwing it to a 1/2" nipple out of the HLT. If you have a socket welded into your HLT, just ask for a male x male 1/2" compression fitting. The fitting came with a copper olive, I tossed that out & bought a nylon one instead. It cost me less than $10.00.

002.jpg

Crusty

Have used the 3/4" nylon olives in my kettle for several years, they do need to be cleaned or replaced every so often. Mine connects to the pickup tube internally , so not sure whether there are any leaks or not. Should be fine for a HLT, not as much worry about contamination anyway.

Same as this gregor I found that you cant tightnen too much the poly carb cracks before it stops leaking so i put some thread tape around the olive and poly it has worked good since.

002.jpg

Crusty
[/quote]

Thanks for the pics Crusty.
Where do you buy the poly carb tubing?
I recall reading here somewhere that you have to buy a whole length (2m or something). Is that correct?

Gregor

Thanks for the pics Crusty.
Where do you buy the poly carb tubing?
I recall reading here somewhere that you have to buy a whole length (2m or something). Is that correct?

Gregor

I think Dotmar plasics sell it but I think you have to buy a length @ around $25.00. I went into my local lab supply shop, Scientrific, & he gave me a 1/2" 500mm length for nothing. Ask around in the for sale section, someone should have a spare length they could send ya.

Crusty

Same as this gregor I found that you cant tightnen too much the poly carb cracks before it stops leaking so i put some thread tape around the olive and poly it has worked good since.

002.jpg

Crusty

Not sure if it's because it's new or not but I haven't used any thread tape on the male tube side & used a shifting spanner to tighten it up pretty tight, screwed it onto my crab cooker & no leaks. Works perfectly.

I've made many of these just how you have done until this point, just replace the olive with an 0 ring.

Batz

I just Crox the end and use some PTFE tape - cant slide out of the nut that way.
MHB

Becareful using a metal olive on plastic. It may crack the polytube with tightening and also I reckon the nylon olive would give a better seal on poly.

Latest posts

Back