Nsw Xmas In July Case Swap 2011 Tasting Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9. WhiteWolf - German Hefeweizen - 5.2% - WY3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Pours slighty hazy, very pale with a nice head that falls back quite quickly to a half cm foam. Aroma has got that light sweet malt with spicy weizen thing going on. Flavour is along the same lines. Sweet malt, nice phenyl that is suitably clovey but not overdone. Fruity esters. Nice biscuit malt in the finish. Lowish bitterness. Med-high carb gives it some bite. Impressive balance between all the bits. Lovely beer, WhiteWolf, Im enjoying it very much.

cheers
Andrew.

11. Fatgodzilla 111 on the lid. An in house program to get a dark, hoppy beer not using C hops.

Pours pretty dark, ruby highlights when held up to strong light. Big rocky head that dies down to 1cm. Aroma is resinous hops, coffee and resinous hops. The coffee really drives the flavour, some fruity character, possibly from the yeast then a strong herbal hop flavour drives the finish. Malt is there but it takes a back seat to the hops and coffee. Medium body. Medium carb. bitterness is assertive and stays in the finish. However, this beer is really easy to drink and goes down a treat. Lovely beer, Ian. Thanks for sharing.

cheers
Andrew.

3. nifty - Some sort of Belgian Blonde Ale. 7.4%. Bottled 26/06/2011. Ready to drink.

Gorgeous looking beer. Clear golden with inch high white head. The first flavour I pick up is like a boozy sweetness that I associate with a lot of Belgian ales. Then I get pears and bananas. Another very good beer tonight. Thanks nifty.

Thanks Josh.

When is your beer going to be ready to drink? Will we have to wait until October?

cheers

nifty

Thanks Josh.

When is your beer going to be ready to drink? Will we have to wait until October?

cheers

nifty

Quite possibly. I tried another one the other night and it wasn't carbed. Long lagering can reduce yeast numbers significantly and affect bottle fermentation.

I guess I'm not picking up a medal at the NSW Homebrew Comp this weekend. Unless the drive to the Hunter helped it along.

just opened one of mine to check its still not fully carbed but is drinkable.
needs a little while longer for the hot alcohols to fully subdue but not unpleasant. id give it another month before tasting again
CE3D0FD2-orig.jpg

I just finished this off, a very nice beer. I haven't had many wheaties, but this makes me want to have a go at them.

cheers

nifty

and then I had

I had 2 bottles of this, so I got stuck into it as well.

cheers

nifty

10. grantw - English Strong Bitter bottled 21/6/11 5.3% Wyeast Thames Valley II

Clear, deep amber, med/high carbonation. Mildly sweet aroma. Complex maltiness. Can't put a finger on any one flavour. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Firm bitterness in the finish.

Top beer Grant, thanks.

Light straw colour with haze. High carb, big white head dissipates. Esters balanced towards the clove. Light body, slighty tart in the finish. Reminds me a little of the old James Squire Wheat (which I loved).

I was watching the World Athletics Championships in Daegu Korea. That and this beer are bringing me back to Berlin 2 years ago when Usain Bolt ran 9.58. I was there, still the world record after he was DQ'd tonight.

Thanks WhiteWolf, very enjoyable beer.

Gulpa - AIPA - 7% - Pacman

What can I say but wow, can I please get the recipe? Aside from the fact it was slightly over carbed and gushed just a tiny bit, it is my idea of a sublime AIPA.

Seriously though.... recipe??

Gulpa - AIPA - 7% - Pacman

What can I say but wow, can I please get the recipe? Aside from the fact it was slightly over carbed and gushed just a tiny bit, it is my idea of a sublime AIPA.

Seriously though.... recipe??

No worries. Glad you enjoyed it.

View attachment AIPA.pdf

Changes to recipe is that I didnt use BB as base malt. It would have been mostly JW Ale and some Bairds Golden Promise. Sorry I dont have exact quantities as I was just using up the bits I had around. Also the pale crystal was the Heritage Crystal from Craftbrewer.

Cheers
Andrew.

17. Mikedub- schwarzbier 6% bottled late july11

Thought Id give this a go tonight.

Vigourous pour gives a nice tight off white head. Very dark with ruby highlights when held to the light. Aroma of light sweet malt with mocha roast malts. Flavour is light roasty malts, a sligtht sweetness but suitable drying in the finish. Medium carb. Medium light body. Good balance. A really nice beer for the style which I enjoyed very much. Thanks Mike.

Cheers
Andrew.

whoohoo!, a happy customer, thanks for the feedback Andrew

Just enjoying Whitewolf's Hefeweizen at the moment. I translated the cap markings as 56 so was a bit confused about what it was and poured it into a nonic pint glass. Lovely spicey flavours in this, almost wit bier like, especially with the carb. A lovely drink for the first saturday night in Spring. Cheers Whitewolf.

grant

Wow, thanks for all the nice feedback fellas. I'll do my best to provide some in return in the near future. I can say though that I have tried all of the beers and I loved every one of them. Some of them I have doubles of thanks to side swaps, so I'll taste them again soon to see if they get even better.

WW.

15. Pimpsqueak: Foreign Extra Stout-6.5%ABV

Pours thick black, really black, no light escapes. Dark tan head, suitably sized. Aroma is mocha and sweet malt, a touch of sweet soy.Flavour is sweet malts, the mocha and soy are there. Shows a deep dark fruit character as well, not sure if this is malt or yeast derived but its quite enticing. Roast is there in the background. Medium full body, medium carb, medium bitterness. Balance is towards the sweet finish. A really tasty foreign extra stout, I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing, Pimps.

Cheers
Andrew.

just had one of mine its getting carbed up so its right to drink

6. Josh's Oktoberfest

drinking this one now, pours a beautiful amber colour with a solid white head, a strong malt flavour with just enough bitterness to clear your pallet.

once again josh a very enjoyable beer, thanks mate :icon_cheers:

steve

6. Josh's Oktoberfest

drinking this one now, pours a beautiful amber colour with a solid white head, a strong malt flavour with just enough bitterness to clear your pallet.

once again josh a very enjoyable beer, thanks mate :icon_cheers:

steve

So it's carbed now then? I was about to put one in the fridge in the hope it was ready.

6. Josh - Oktoberfest bottled 27/7/11 WLP838 ~6%

Well its almost October so time to give this one a go.

Enthusiastic pour give this a nice inch of dense white head. Lovely clear dark straw colour. Aroma of light sweet malt, hint of munich there. More substantial malt dominates the flavour (more than initial aroma indicates) with a nice biscuity character and a very slight yeastyness. Finish is balanced toward the malt sweetness. Med low carb. Medium full body. Lowish bitterness but probably more than I think due to maltyness. Nice beer, thanks for sharing Josh. I have to make one of these one day.

cheers
Andrew.

Back