Nsw Xmas In July Case Swap 2011 Tasting Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpsqueak

Barbeerian
Reaction score
It's been a week and I simply refuse to wait any longer to crack one of these bad boys open.
Decided since my palate is destroyed after 3 beers that I should limit myself to one a night. Even then, all I know about tasting a beer is if I like it or not, so please forgive the lack of any technical feedback.

So, to kick this off, I went for grantw's - English Strong Bitter...
grantw___English_Strong_Bitter.jpg

I really enjoyed this one. It was super clear in the glass, well carbed, malty and bitter. I was kind of disappointed when I finished it off and couldn't go back for another glass.

Cheers!! :party:

gulpa,

had your AIPA the other night it was very nice and i could taste a big load of hops in there, i would definitely could go another thanks

steve.

Gulpa
Had your AIPA last night, thought the rich complex malt balanced nicely with the big hopping, reminded me of SN Torpedo. Initially the alcohol seemed a bit hot but settled down in the glass, some lively carbonation when I cracked it.
The big flavours lingered in the mouth for ages. Delicious
Cheers
Mike

It's been a week and I simply refuse to wait any longer to crack one of these bad boys open.
Decided since my palate is destroyed after 3 beers that I should limit myself to one a night. Even then, all I know about tasting a beer is if I like it or not, so please forgive the lack of any technical feedback.

So, to kick this off, I went for grantw's - English Strong Bitter...
View attachment 47499

I really enjoyed this one. It was super clear in the glass, well carbed, malty and bitter. I was kind of disappointed when I finished it off and couldn't go back for another glass.

Cheers!! :party:

Glad you enjoyed it pimpsqueak. I sampled a bottle on the weekend and was pretty pleased with the clarity and its refreshing bitterness.

cheers

grant

Gulpa
Had your AIPA last night, thought the rich complex malt balanced nicely with the big hopping, reminded me of SN Torpedo. Initially the alcohol seemed a bit hot but settled down in the glass, some lively carbonation when I cracked it.
The big flavours lingered in the mouth for ages. Delicious
Cheers
Mike

Cheers, Mike. Glad you enjoyed. I hope it wasnt overcarbed, I seem to have lost my carb mojo lately :unsure: .

Andrew.

I started with Fatgodzilla's beer last night -

11. Fatgodzilla 111 on the lid. An in house program to get a dark, hoppy beer not using C hops.

Poured with a nice fluffy tan head, good carbonation.

I'm not too good at picking beers, but I thought this had some sort of American hops in it.

A nice tasty beer, thanks Ian. I got 2 bottles of this so I get to have another crack at it .

cheers

nifty

I just finished off -

4. Gulpa - AIPA - 7% - Pacman

Very nice and hoppy, a great tasting beer.

I did notice that it tried to climb out of the bottle between the first and second pour but it didn't seem to be too over carbed.

cheers for the hoppy burps Andrew.

nifty

10. grantw - English Strong Bitter bottled 21/6/11 5.3% Wyeast Thames Valley II

Enjoyed this one tonight, Grant. Nice tobacco/fruity aromas. Spicy hops with a nice bit of ferment character from the yeast. Firm bitterness. Great Job. Thanks Grant.

cheers
Andrew.

Glad you enjoyed it Andrew!

I tried yours last night

No. 4 Gulpa's AIPA

Pours a honey colour, some haze and quite lively out of the bottle, and established a tall white foam stand. C hop aroma, fresh pine and muted citrus and some sweet malt underlying. Flavours are thick with delicious hoppy goodness, bright carb, medium body, all supported by a clean malt profile and long drying bitter finish. Very nice and very easily drunk for a 7% beer, nicely balanced.

I'm guessing that you dry hopped this one as there was a bit of hop debris in this bottle which was causing some foaming, though it was nothing I couldn't handle :) Plus I appear to have another bottle in my case :D

Thanks Andrew

cheers

grant

I had one of my (swap) Scotch ales tonight. I was expecting low carb but it had a strong head. It has been sitting inside at around 15'C. Malty tasty but not clear. Interested if any one else has ventured one yet ?

Hope to start on case reviews this weekend :)

cheers

Had your bitter last night Grant, loved that big-arsed malty flavour and late bite, could have drank it all night,
Cheers
Mike

btw, there is a bottle in my case with HV 5/6 on a green cap, anyone know what this one is ?

Had your bitter last night Grant, loved that big-arsed malty flavour and late bite, could have drank it all night,
Cheers
Mike

btw, there is a bottle in my case with HV 5/6 on a green cap, anyone know what this one is ?
Yep - That is my German Hefeweizen - I realised when I turned up that I should have written the number on it. I'll remember that for next time.

Cheers
Mike

Glad you enjoyed it Mike. Am thinking I will be brewing this one again, am down to my last bottle.

cheers

grant

I had one of my (swap) Scotch ales tonight. I was expecting low carb but it had a strong head. It has been sitting inside at around 15'C. Malty tasty but not clear. Interested if any one else has ventured one yet ?

Hope to start on case reviews this weekend :)

cheers

Sipping on this one now.

13. redb - Scottish Light bottled 30Jul 11

When I poured it a nice tight head formed up but dropped away pretty quick. The carb is low and as you said it is a bit hazy, but I'm enjoying it.

I'm just getting over the flu so my taste buds could be way out but I get a bit of pineapple or passionfruit taste to it?

Anyway, it's a nice beer, it would be interesting to know what's in it.

cheers

nifty

13. redb - Scottish Light

Pours a hazy copper with a 1cm head. Aroma is clean light malt, caramel, a hint of ferment character. Flavour is more intense than the aroma would suggest and all malt driven. Light malt, caramel, some roasty character enhanced by the bitterness. Clean ferment. Med low carb. Med light body. Reasonably assertive bitterness. Very nice beer, Craig. Very sessionable for a darkish ale. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Andrew.

Whitewolf, enjoyed your Hefeweizen last night, really tasty particulary as it warmed a little in the glass,
your've inspired me to try the 3068 strain, what temp to you ferment to get that good balance of esters?

Whitewolf, enjoyed your Hefeweizen last night, really tasty particulary as it warmed a little in the glass,
your've inspired me to try the 3068 strain, what temp to you ferment to get that good balance of esters?
Thanks for the feedback - I fermented this at 17.5 degrees. Given my setup, I have a half degree cut-in on my controller so it sat between 17.5 and 18 degrees during ferementation. Have fun! I have brewed the same recipe three times fermenting at different temps (17.5, 18 and 20) and all come back with different esters. Two of these you could swear were 2 different yeasts.

4. Gulpa - AIPA - 7% - Pacman - Ready to drink

Big hit of lemon and pine hop aroma and flavour. Mine also was quite effervescent, without leaping out of the bottle. Rich bready malt character. Then the strong bitterness helps dry out the finish.

A very good example of the style. Thanks Andrew.

3. nifty - Some sort of Belgian Blonde Ale. 7.4%. Bottled 26/06/2011. Ready to drink.

Gorgeous looking beer. Clear golden with inch high white head. The first flavour I pick up is like a boozy sweetness that I associate with a lot of Belgian ales. Then I get pears and bananas. Another very good beer tonight. Thanks nifty.

4. Gulpa - AIPA - 7% - Pacman - Ready to drink

Big hit of lemon and pine hop aroma and flavour. Mine also was quite effervescent, without leaping out of the bottle. Rich bready malt character. Then the strong bitterness helps dry out the finish.

A very good example of the style. Thanks Andrew.

Glad you liked it, Josh.

Cheeres
Andrew

Back