Nsw Xmas Case 2007 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fatgodzilla - Ronald Reagan all American Ale

Nice light APA, Fatgodzilla. Fresh citrus aroma with some floral notes, noticeable but (to me :D ) balanced hop flavour and bitterness that was nice and cleansing, light-medium body which was perfect for a summer night. I'm not sure if I was imagining it because I knew it was there, but 'thought' I picked up a little kit twang in there, but that was the only slight negative on a very refreshing, hoppy beer. Thumbs up from SWMBO as well (an APA lover). :super: I agree with Goatherder that this is perfect for drinking now.

19. Keith - Australian Farmhouse Ale - with extra alcohol, Wyeast 3711 VSS French Saison

Opened the bottle yesterday. I'm guessing you forgot to add sugar to my bottle :( Completely uncarbonated. A shame since the few sips I took were quite nice.

Fatgodzilla - Ronald Reagan all American Ale

I knew it was there, but 'thought' I picked up a little kit twang in there, but that was the only slight negative on a very refreshing, hoppy beer. Thumbs up from SWMBO as well (an APA lover). :super: I agree with Goatherder that this is perfect for drinking now.

Shouldn't have told the truth about the ingredients ? But I'm happy I've fluked a good one for you all. Pity I don't have any spare bottles !!

I just tried your beer too fatgodzilla.
I found the same kit tang in the beer but other than that it was nice.

I personaly would have enjoyed it more if it had a bit more malt backbone to hold up all that bitterness which came through a bit too much to me..... more like a solidly bittered IPA than APA which should be about a big hop presence which i also didnt really find.

I take it it was suposed to be a lighter refreshing summer beer and it did that well but lacked smoothness. It was ballanced towards bitterness.

All in all a good beer though mate.... well done and thanks.

I also tried SWJ,s 1b bavarian lager last night. It was nice golden colour with a good malty slightly sweet finish. nice bitterness and low hops (its a bit older so thats understandable)
When you say bavarian lager Steve, do you mean oktoberfest, vienna lager.....?

also..... was it high in alcahol. It seemed to hit me like a brick in the head. either i drank more than i realised before trying it of its an elephant beer clone.

good beer though mate... thanks

cheers

message for beerslayer and hbw.......... didn't you know there is a rule for Swaps.............

If you don't pick up your swap beers prior to the end of two weeks after the swap they become the property of the swap hoster :D

I've never tried a beer with nelson sauvin hops in it so I thought I’d start the case last night with Steve's "Nelsons ******* Ale". This is a very nice beer. I bought some nelson sauvin a few weeks ago in anticipation and it looks like I won't be dissapointed....

Thanks Steve, a very nice beer. I'll have to borrow your recipe from the database.

cheers

nifty

#22. Muggus - Armoured Hawk Ale

Deep copper in colour with a slight haze and a tall white head. Great hop aroma - pine overload, fresh cut grass and lemons. The up front hop flavour is ultra smooth with more pine - did you hopburst this? There are some nice crystal type malt flavours which make an appearance late in the beer. I detected a hint of astringency in the finish, probably from the hops. The mouthfeel is quite full and a perhaps a little sweet and the carbonation is just a little low. Great beer thanks Muggus, I've never had a piney hop profile like this one and I really enjoyed it. And the 8% kicks like mongrel horse. Cheers!

#28 redbeard - English Bitter

A nice copper colour with a head which laced right to the bottom. There are some subdued English hop aromas, some esters and a little malt showing through. Bready malt flavours show long into the finish following some most excellent fruity hop notes. Nice. The carbonation, bitterness and mouthfeel are spot on to style giving this beer exceptional balance. This is well made, highly drinkable and very tasty ale thanks redbeard. I'd love to see a recipe.

#27 Crozdog - Bright ale.

When i pour a beer, i always pour the first glass and then stick my nose in the bottle........ thats my first impression of the beer. I find it a good indicator of the beers quality. I smiled and looked forward to the 2 schooners when i sniffed this. Nice clean crisp hop aroma from the bottle and the beer in the glass. smooth clean malt character with a firm clensing bitterness. Hop flavour is a tad lower than the subtle aroma which is bloody perfect for a refreshing beer. Its just right. Slight haze and i dont know if it cleared when warm cause it didnt last in the glass!..... but who cares...... its home brew!
Laced all the way to the bottom with both halves of the bottle in the same glass which was impresive.

Great beer Grozdog....... One i would be happy to have on tap in my home.

cheers

Steve (ACT) - Nelson ******* Ale

opend the bottle and stuck my nose in the top........ mild soft white wine aroma from the hops....... Yep.... Nelson Sauvin. Great hops and so unlike anything else out there.
Poured it and i was instantly jelous of the beers clarity........ please share your secret Steve.
Perfect carbonation, nice firm head that fades a bit but not completly which is good.
Deep golden to light amber with as said before briliant clarity (******* ;) )
I have to say this is the best ballanced beer i have tried so far from the swap, lingering biterness that is very crisp and firm but smooth and enjoyable.
Some smooth caramel malt is drifting up through the hops (im sounding like trent and Goatherder) and is topped off with a hop aroma that is clean and crisp, definate citrus and white grape.

I made a beer with all NS a while back but it was a pale wheat american style wheat beer. The hop was a bit harsh in this pale tart environment. your beer is a much better example of the hops cabability by offering it up in a beer that compliments the hops character but doesnt over ride it.

Well dont mate and thanks for the smaple.

cheers

5. Gulpa - Pale Ale

Thought it was about time I checked this beer. Sorry guys but its infected :( . It was fine from the fermenter so Im not really sure what has happened. Pretty f***ing disappointed.

Regards
Andrew.

25. Tony - The Sheep Shagger.

Great beer tony. Lovely hoppiness but not overpowering and pretty well balanced.

Thanks
Andrew.

5. Gulpa - Pale Ale

Thought it was about time I checked this beer. Sorry guys but its infected :( . It was fine from the fermenter so Im not really sure what has happened. Pretty f***ing disappointed.

Regards
Andrew.

Tried yours tonight Andrew, I don't think mine was infected or it could be I'm missing something but I found it undercarbed and strongly lacking bitterness and tasting and smelling quite sweet. It could be an infection making it a little sickly sweet but it wouldn't be one I've tasted before. Definately something gone wrong there though.

Drinking FGZ's ale right now and am finding it very nice indeed. A little grassy on the nose with a bit of that green bitterness (could be a bit of the kit twang causing that). A little undercarbed for mine as well. I'm a bit of a sweet tooth so I'm loving that Glacier up front. Now I think about it's very similar to an AIPA I've got on tap at the mo, you might have tried when you were here the other weekend Ian. Similar hop bill as yours Glacier and Ama and I used PoR for bittering I think. Nicely done.

Tried yours tonight Andrew, I don't think mine was infected or it could be I'm missing something but I found it undercarbed and strongly lacking bitterness and tasting and smelling quite sweet. It could be an infection making it a little sickly sweet but it wouldn't be one I've tasted before. Definately something gone wrong there though.

Drinking FGZ's ale right now and am finding it very nice indeed. A little grassy on the nose with a bit of that green bitterness (could be a bit of the kit twang causing that). A little undercarbed for mine as well. I'm a bit of a sweet tooth so I'm loving that Glacier up front. Now I think about it's very similar to an AIPA I've got on tap at the mo, you might have tried when you were here the other weekend Ian. Similar hop bill as yours Glacier and Ama and I used PoR for bittering I think. Nicely done.

Thanks for the feedback Flopps. I know what you are saying about bitterness. I was aiming for 28IBU but I think it may have come up short or I mashed a bit high for the type of beer. Hopping seems to work a bit differently for AG. The undercarbed bit is my fault.

As for infection, I tried one on Thursday and thought it a bit suss and wasnt sure if it was yeast "character". The one I had last night was rank and went down the sink. There could be some bottle variation. Im interested in what others think.

Cheers
Andrew.

Steve (ACT) - Nelson ******* Ale

opend the bottle and stuck my nose in the top........ mild soft white wine aroma from the hops....... Yep.... Nelson Sauvin. Great hops and so unlike anything else out there.
Poured it and i was instantly jelous of the beers clarity........ please share your secret Steve.
Perfect carbonation, nice firm head that fades a bit but not completly which is good.
Deep golden to light amber with as said before briliant clarity (******* ;) )
I have to say this is the best ballanced beer i have tried so far from the swap, lingering biterness that is very crisp and firm but smooth and enjoyable.
Some smooth caramel malt is drifting up through the hops (im sounding like trent and Goatherder) and is topped off with a hop aroma that is clean and crisp, definate citrus and white grape.

I made a beer with all NS a while back but it was a pale wheat american style wheat beer. The hop was a bit harsh in this pale tart environment. your beer is a much better example of the hops cabability by offering it up in a beer that compliments the hops character but doesnt over ride it.

Well dont mate and thanks for the smaple.

cheers

.....and here I was being nervous about entering my first case swap. Thanks for the compliments Tony....as far as secrets go - I wouldnt have a clue I just make it up as I go....as was the case with this recipe.
Cheers
Steve

Edit....it had 1 whole tab of whirlfloc in at 15 mins, 6 days primary, racked to 2ndary and chilled at 0-2 degrees for 6 days, 9gms polyclar were then added, left at 0-2 for 8 more days, brought back to room temp and bottled. (Single Primed)

#22. Muggus - Armoured Hawk Ale

Deep copper in colour with a slight haze and a tall white head. Great hop aroma - pine overload, fresh cut grass and lemons. The up front hop flavour is ultra smooth with more pine - did you hopburst this? There are some nice crystal type malt flavours which make an appearance late in the beer. I detected a hint of astringency in the finish, probably from the hops. The mouthfeel is quite full and a perhaps a little sweet and the carbonation is just a little low. Great beer thanks Muggus, I've never had a piney hop profile like this one and I really enjoyed it. And the 8% kicks like mongrel horse. Cheers!
Thanks for the positive feedback Goatherder!

I was thinking of hop bursting it but end up doing it more conventionally using Tomahawk and (heaps of) Armarillo...
10g Tomahawk(14.8%AA) - 60 min
10g Amarillo(8.1%AA) - 60 min
10g Amarillo - 30 min
20g Tomahawk - 15 min
20g Amarillo - 15 min
10g Amarillo - 10 min
10g Tomahawk - 0 min
15g Amarillo - 0 min
40g! Amarillo - 7 days (dry)

I think it worked out to be around 50 IBUs

I had SJW's "1a Bo Pil" last night. What a top beer. It was a really nice pale colour with a creamy white head. I kept taking a sip to try and describe it but I couldn’t stop. In the end I gave up and just enjoyed it. Top drop thanks.

cheers

nifty

12. Kabooby- Belgian Dubbel (WLP550)

Fantastic!

Doesn't pour with a big head, but it is very persistent, as it should. Typical smell of a Belgian. Brownish colour, methinks a bit on the light side for a dubbel. Excellent taste, not very malty (for a belgian), finished nice an dry (for a belgian).

Again, absolutely excellent beer, you should start a monastry.

Can you post some details on the malt bill and the fermentation? I would like to know how you fermented it out so well.

Knocked off a few more..

Brew: #27. Crozdog(The Johnny Nash "I Can See Clearly Now" Bright Ale

Served chilled in glass.
Orange and grapefruit sort of fruitiness on the nose, a faint note of grass and sulfur/bread that i've come across in some of my young lagers before. Pours a hazy orange gold body with tight white lace. Reasonably light bodied, a tickle of carbonation on the tongue, some slight grittiness to the texture, but not discouraging. Light fruitiness on the body, a touch of lemon zest and the odd note of raisin seems to come along, bready malt lingers on the finish. Has a nice bitter edge to it, bringing forth some citric hop character.
A easy drinking, non-offensive ale, though I daresay I've cracked it open a bit early. What yeast did you use in this one Crozdog?

Brew: #3. Fatgodzilla - Ronald Reagan all American Ale

Served chilled in glass.
Instantly bombarded with big citrusy hops, plenty of tropical fruit, fantastic stuff! Pours a hazy golden body with a fluffy white head. Medium bodied, decent carbonation, smooth texture. Plenty of tropical fruit hop character on the body, passionfruit and grapefruit noteable, a hint of a malt backbone, but not much. Bitterness quite restrained for a beer this hoppy, drying with a slight bread note.
Very nice, thoroughly enjoyed this one Fatgodzilla, would definately consider making something similiar!

Cheers!

Back