NSW State Comp 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What begs the question is why, oh, why this community still hasn't adopted some competition management software, e.g. using BJCP for starters (http://www.bjcp.org/compcenter.php -- scroll to the "competition software" section at the bottom of that page).

Seriously, with almost everyone carrying smartphones with, mind you, cameras more powerful than my $600 Canon I bought back in 2003, why do we still have to send anything by post?

The ideal scenario, as I see it, would be:
1. A judge tests a beer, makes all scribbling they want on a feedback sheet and produces some mark.
2. A judge posts this mark and the image of the feedback sheet to the competition software right from their smartphone.
3. As the competition is deemed closed, three things happen: a) winners are announced, b) ranked list of entries (like the one we see for this comp) is produced, c) scanned feedback forms are sent to the entrants by email.

The number 3 is thought to happen almost instantly.

I'm not sure how the freely available (from the link above) software can satisfy the ideal scenario, but would guess this community may have some IT-savvy people.

Codehopper only drama with that is if there is multiply flights and mini best of shows.

VicBrew use compmaster which is great for keeping a record of all your entries as well as future comps coming up, means you can always log in and view score sheets from previous beers, having just moved back to NSW it feels like things are a bit behind here, not that there's anything wrong with that but means things could be more streamlined...

Congratulations on getting the comp across the line Les and HUB guys. I'm sure you've all put in a heap of work.

And once again it's congratulations to Barry for another stellar showing. And well done to Brett McKenna and Lee Wilton for keeping him honest. :)

Thanks to all involved in a well ran comp. as this thread had shown it must be a thankless task with so many wanting to throw their 2c in.

Cheers all for running, judging and sponsoring, thanks to Les for positively taking on board the organising :)

Congrats to the winners, and placegetters, and good luck at the Nats! Go NSW!

HUB well done. The weekend was a very well organised comp. Facilities were great, thanks Hunter beer Co. (Potters), Stewards well organised and a good number of excellent Judges slogging through a large number of entries. Was a pleasure to be a part of the judging and also to sponsor.

For the winners in the categories Brewman sponsored, not sure where you are located, but we would like to offer free postage if you place your order through BrewBuilder, pick a recipe from the list, or design your own.

Cheers Steve

Thanks HUB for organising. I might take up mead making full time. Is that easy flow hive still available on kickstarter?

Having a look through the scores I'm tipping some of my beers were in the lowest scores category.

Well done Barry and the other prize winners. We'll be speaking to Barry on Inebriation Nation this Monday night.

Love the fact two ESB boys fighting for the top gong! Well done Brettles and Baz, awesome brewers.

Thanks to the organising committee, judges, stewards and sponsors. Well done to all the category winners - judging by all the virgins gathering places, the quality across the board must be getting better and better. Hope to see good results from NSW brewers at Nationals. Time to stick it to those other states and Canberra Brewers!

Hi, thanks again to all involved, hopefully we can pull some medals at the Nats.

I placed 3rd in the American pale ale category with a 60, pretty low scoring beer, still the entire section was less than 65 for 1st.

It was the lowest scoring category, not sure why everyone including me had such low judged beers, any ideas?

If the ESB comp is anything to go by, popularity doesn't equate to quality. It's a popular style, so lots of people brew it. It doesn't mean they are all true to style. I thought the same as you going in, that there would be a lot of well made beers in there, but appears not to bee the case.

That said, maybe these judges were a little more critical. Another set of judges might have scored 5 points higher. Doesn't matter too much, as long as they're consistent. We'll see when the judging sheets come back. I wish now that I'd put in my 5 month old APA, just to see how it went.

Pratty, when you receive the scoresheets, check out the lower left section which shows a scoring guide. A beer in the 20-29 range is deemed good and a beer in the 30-37 range is deemed very good. The range of scores given in the category depends on how true judges are to these guides. Scores in the 20s should have good feedback on how to improve the beer.

Pratty1 said:
Hi, thanks again to all involved, hopefully we can pull some medals at the Nats.

I placed 3rd in the American pale ale category with a 60, pretty low scoring beer, still the entire section was less than 65 for 1st.

It was the lowest scoring category, not sure why everyone including me had such low judged beers, any ideas?
Not sure about that, as it's not a category I judged.

I didn't score any beer over 40, as there were no extraordinary beers presented to me, although a few very good beers crossed my palate.

Maybe people are saving their best for Castle Hill?

Les the Weizguy said:
Not sure about that, as it's not a category I judged.

I didn't score any beer over 40, as there were no extraordinary beers presented to me, although a few very good beers crossed my palate.

Maybe people are saving their best for Castle Hill?
Is it out of 100 ?

mckenry said:
Is it out of 100 ?
I've never judged, or even attended a comp, but I believe it works as follows

Each judge gives a score out of 50, broken up as per below:
Aroma - 12
Appearance - 3
Flavour - 20
Mouthfeel - 5
Overall Impression - 10

There's usually two judges per category, so their combined scores will give a score out of 100.

Stand to be corrected on this though.

How do people go about posting beer entries for comps? Is Australia post fine with beer bottles or do people use couriers? Don't really want to road trip to Brisbane to drop off one long neck:)

Used APost for Grafton. Wrap em properly and no dramas at all. Bubble wrap each, in a box and taped well. Don't forget the Glass labels if you can get em.

Hi All
Just letting you know your score sheets went in the mail this morning.
Cheers
Adam

Hi,

I read on teh other state comp threads that a few states are providing shipping for the place getters in order to get the bulk deliver of the entrys to QLD.

Have you guys considered this?

If not, can you please advise the details of location to deliver them and the due date's?

Dan

Back