NSW State Comp 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
donald_trub said:
Perhaps for future competitions it'd be great if the entries got scanned or photocopied. Would be good to know there's a backup copy out there somewhere, even if they just get thrown away a month later.
Would be nice, so we hope you volunteer to do this in future?
With over 300 entries, and 2 judging sheets for each, it will mean scanning or photocopying over 600 pages.
Quite a logistical exercise and not one for the faint of heart.

mckenry said:
Me too. I can read about half of it.... At least the scores are readable.

I went ok and got close to what I expected for most beers. An interesting side note. My APA got judged under hopped at ESB, so I put my AIPA into the states as an APA and guess what? "more hop character needed" - Has the world gone hop forward mad???

Here's a funny example of how I read some of the comments. Please laugh along, I'm not disrespecting anyone who gives their time to judge. Just I cant read the writing very well.

"Seems well made, howdy is on old ample sluty oxidised. Needs to crimp and breathe. Colour is on the dosh side for style. Needs more colourbond."

Its just a laugh. Thanks for organising and congratulations to all the winners and good luck going Aus wide!
If the unreadable comments are from me, if you email me a copy/photo/scan of the sheets, I'll willingly interpret and advise what I was saying.
My email address is on the entry form, or pm me.
I may even remember the beer.
Maybe it was on the Saturday when I left my reading specs at home.

warra48 said:
With over 300 entries, and 2 judging sheets for each, it will mean scanning or photocopying over 600 pages.
Quite a logistical exercise and not one for the faint of heart.
If I knew this would be required, I could have taken the entries to work and scanned them through my printer/copier/scanner there, and saved as a number of pdf files.
Auto feed them through. May depend on the size of the saved files though. Could be a hefty exercise to save to a drive, if that's allowed here.

Please keep this in mind for future HUB judgings...

Got my sheets yesterday. Scored a 62 for a style I've never brewed before (Cal Common) so happy with that. Main issue was over carbed, but used carb drops instead of exact measure so very happy.

I don't brew specifically for comps and only bottle if I end up with more than what I can fit in a keg, so if a batch I happen to have bottled meets a certain style to my palate, I'll enter it in a comp.

Now I'm a bit more confident in my brewing ability, I might start to target comps with specific beers.

With a heavily pregnant wife, I couldn't justify the trip up to the Hunter this year, but I'm keen to observe and help out with the whole process, so next year I might see if I can get away for the weekend.

donald_trub said:
Perhaps for future competitions it'd be great if the entries got scanned or photocopied. Would be good to know there's a backup copy out there somewhere, even if they just get thrown away a month later.

warra48 said:
A good idea is a good idea. I know it's a year away, but I might offer up my services next time. My German lineage means I'm a bit OCD when it comes to recording info and maintaining databases. (It's also partly what I do at work).

In fact I'd happily set up a system right now to have it ready for next year. It'll make your lives easier and be a great thing for everyone who enters the comp.

You/I/we/someone should be able to set it up so the required online entry form automatically fills a spreadsheet. Then you'd simply add corresponding Comp entry # alongside each entry. Then the only difficulty is how you add the comments to each entry (maybe simply take a photo of each score sheet with smart phone, save each as a google doc and call it it's Comp entry #, then email a link to each file to the matching individual entrants).

kaiserben said:
Then the only difficulty is how you add the comments to each entry (maybe simply take a photo of each score sheet with smart phone, save each as a google doc and call it it's Comp entry #, then email a link to each file to the matching individual entrants).
I just tested this part of it and it was very easy.

I went into the Google Drive app on my phone. Navigated to a folder I wanted to save a photo in. Clicked to "Use Camera" (from within the Google Drive app). Took a photo (which you can then choose to either use or re-take). I then changed the photo's file name to a dummy entry #. The rest can be done on PC/Laptop (which I find it easier) or even still on the phone if preferred. So then I opened sharing settings (made sure it allows anyone with the link to view it) and copied that link and pasted it in the database next to a dummy entry #. From there you can copy & paste the entrant's email address and link/s to the corresponding photos of their entries and email it out.

It possibly seems difficult when written out as instructions like above, but actually doing it is so easy (I'm happy to demonstrate or walk someone through it all).

Les the Weizguy said:
If the unreadable comments are from me, if you email me a copy/photo/scan of the sheets, I'll willingly interpret and advise what I was saying.
My email address is on the entry form, or pm me.
I may even remember the beer.
Maybe it was on the Saturday when I left my reading specs at home.
No, not you Les. Your hand writing is fine. I wont dob anyone in publicly. I got a 70 for this beer, so happy with that, just dont know wtf one of the judges wrote about it.

mckenry said:
No, not you Les. Your hand writing is fine. I wont dob anyone in publicly. I got a 70 for this beer, so happy with that, just dont know wtf one of the judges wrote about it.
If they have an email address on the form, please use it to contact. That's why I provide mine... to help out (where memory serves).

Found my mail tonight. It had been stolen, ripped open and dumped. But it still had the score sheets and that's what I was mostly after.

Oh - and really happy with the results and feedback. Even the rubbish beer I entered purely for feedback came back with comments that confirmed for me where the problem was.

Brewman_ said:
I'm pretty excited to see quite a few Brewman customers winning and placing in this years comp.

Look over the feedback, reflect on it, and then it's time for the Nationals. Plenty of time to make a few adjustments.. Or just go for broke with what you have!! :D

If it helps, I am happy to be a drop off point for National entries. I can then pack them and send them to Brisbane at no cost. You will just need to arrange to drop them off here at Brewman.

I will advise dates etc. later, but let me know if you are interested.

Cheers Steve
fudge yeah!! Steve thanks mate.
ill be placing an order this week for my Nationals entry too.

am filling out the AABC forms for the beers I'm entering in the nationals, There is a section called Bottle Cap ID. Any ideas what I'm to put in here? After that I'm suprised they want Yeast used, original gravity and final gravity.

leeboy said:
am filling out the AABC forms for the beers I'm entering in the nationals, There is a section called Bottle Cap ID. Any ideas what I'm to put in here? After that I'm suprised they want Yeast used, original gravity and final gravity.
Perhaps it's for club records, or perhaps they'd like to include it in a book of winning recipes. As for Cap ID, that's latin for don't touch it.

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Nationals are just about here[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]As I mentioned before I can send the entries to Brisbane. providing you can get the bottles and all labelled with the entry forms and entry fees. I will package the entries in a suitable way to protect the precious cargo.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The entries close Friday 2 October 2015, that is not deliverred to Brewman but delivered to Brisbane. Yes it is quite early considering the comp is held on the 17th and 18th October.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Delivery will take 2 days with the courier and I will need a couple of days to organise and package. So I will need the entries dropped off at Brewman by the 28th of September for all of that to happen.[/SIZE]

Cheers Steve

Brewman_ said:
The entries close Friday 2 October 2015, that is not deliverred to Brewman but delivered to Brisbane. Yes it is quite early considering the comp is held on the 17th and 18th October.
I'm not sure the actual reason but it's nice to think the beers will get a chance to settle refrigerated in the bottle after transport.

Good Day Sydney Brewers
If you have entries to the nationals in Brisbane they can be dropped off at The Brew Shops and will be packaged on a mini skip and sent up.
The entries must be dropped off on or before the following dates
The Brew Shop Campbelltown Thursday 24th September (next Thursday)
The Brew Shop Nowra Thursday 24th September (next Thursday)
The Brew Shop Peakhurst Saturday 26th September (next Saturday)
The Brew Shop Kirrawee Saturday 26th September (next Saturday)
Entry forms etc. can be found at www.aabc.org.au
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back