Nsw Homebrew Competition 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored a 2nd in the strong lager. Shame I've only got 2 bottles left. With no fridge, I'll have to wait until winter next year to brew it again.

Hey, don't forget me, fellas. :blink:

I'm an AHBer, and I scored 2nd in the Wheat section with my Weizen.

Shame that I couldn't enter my Berliner weisse in the wheat section, as it was a sour beer and had no chance in the Sour section against the Belgians. Oh well, that's BJCP. Que Sera etc.

...but I still got a second (not a close second, though) for one of my regular beers.

I s'pose I should brew another batch for the Nats. Mmmmm fresh Hefeweizen. I'm salivating already.

Cheering :D :p :D
Seth out

The judging was done in probably the only bar in OZ that has used a Randall - so surely not !!!

Congrats Weiz. :beerbang: Sorry I missed naming you earlier. :)

Shawn.

Congrats to all AHB place getters and organisers, even the new members like Mr BigFridge hisself (nice handle, David!)

It would be interesting to know how many of the placegetters are NOT members of at least one of the two main brewing lists, this one and OzCb.

G'day Steve! How've you been? :)

If they're NOT members of either forums. Time for a recruiting drive so we can pick their brains. :lol:

Often wonder how many seasoned brewers out there don't subscribe to these forums. I'm guessing there's lots. :unsure:

We could be missing a wealth of experience.

Warren -

Ok....... a question.

What is the go with the national competition?

how do i qualify to enter it and when is on if i qualify?

excuse my ignorance but this comp thing is all new to me. This is ny first big comp so im still learning.

thanks

tony.

All,

I could be mistaken, but I think that is Mel's boy, Andrew Robson, from ESB,
that took Grand Champion Beer and also did well with his Bo. Pils.

Father (& son, of course) must be proud.

It's a good sign.

Rgds,
Pete

Peter Wadey,
Your not mistaken, it was Mels young fella Andrew.
I saw Andrew yesterday, and the smile on his face was bigger than Luna Park !
Good on him eh, and it was his first comp too !

:beerbang:

Tony said:
Ok....... a question.

What is the go with the national competition?

how do i qualify to enter it and when is on if i qualify?

excuse my ignorance but this comp thing is all new to me. This is ny first big comp so im still learning.

thanks

tony.
[post="79674"][/post]​

Tony,

first, well done on your results. It sure is a buzz to do well in a popular competiton.

As far as the Nationals go, as you placed 1 first and 2 thirds with your beers, you can enter those same brews into the nationals, which I think are in Adelaide this year. If you don't have any of that beer left, I don't think it's the done thing to brew another batch for the nationals, so Weizguy, if you don't have any of your hefeweizen left, then I don't think you can brew another batch for the comp.

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
I don't think it's the done thing to brew another batch for the nationals, so Weizguy, if you don't have any of your hefeweizen left, then I don't think you can brew another batch for the comp.

Cheers - Snow
[post="79685"][/post]​

Snow IIRC rules usually stipulate that place getters must enter the same beer or an "equivalent" of the same beer for the national comps.

I open to correction though. :unsure:

Warren -

ahhh ok

is there a site with all the relivent info i can have a look at?

cheers

Congratulations on doing so well at the NSW comp guys, and for the organisers. I hear it was very well run.
Pity the stewards drunk my beers eh Peter :p

Doc

neonmeate said:
i got 2nd in belgians and 128pts for my big spicy rye belgian strong dark ale...
[post="79628"][/post]​
Hey congrats neonmeate! That's a kick-arse beer, assuming it is what I think it is...

Malnourished said:
neonmeate said:
i got 2nd in belgians and 128pts for my big spicy rye belgian strong dark ale...
[post="79628"][/post]​
Hey congrats neonmeate! That's a kick-arse beer, assuming it is what I think it is...
[post="79803"][/post]​
thanks "malnourished", yes that's right, it's a dachshund!

congrats to all the other winners & placegetters in the NSW comp.

My apologies for being so self-centred, in the previous post.

It's good to see that new brewers are taking prizes in major comps, too.

Big ups to all!

Hope 2 see some of the recipes here soon, if it's not too much to ask.

Seth :p

BTW, Warren thanks for the tip re the "equivalent beer". I thought that the rules allowed it. Same recipe, of course, as it's one of my regular brews.

Seth,

You SHOULD have entered your Berliner Wiesse. There were not that many sour beers at all and I am confident that it would have stood up well against the competition - Belgians or not. I was actually hoping there were going to be more!

I'm not quite sure why you think that the BJCP guideleines would have put you at a disadvantage.

The Flanders Red was superb though, but it was superb in its own right :p

Trev

Trev,

I actually did enter the Berliner Weisse, but feel that it's odd pitting the sour light delicate beer against the other (Belgian) sour beers, which are strong, flavoursome and robust. The Berliner has little to make it stand out, apart from being well-brewed and thirst-quenching, and met the style guidleines well (in my own modest and objective opinion :lol: ).

Maybe I got it wrong, but don't the categories put all sour beers in the Belgian/French section? Maybe I read the documentation wrong, and entered my weisse in the wrong section of the comp.

I believe that the Berliner was great in its own right, too, and have no doubt that the Flanders red was fantastic (wish I had a taste of it actually).

I can't wait to get the judging sheets to read the judges opinions/ evaluation of all my entries.

Don't get me wrong. If I was really upset about the categories, I wouldn't have entered the comp, and I'm really happy to get a 2nd with my Weizen...

In closing, it's about the categories and not specifically the guidelines, if I can make that distinction.

Seth out :D :p

Weizguy said:
Trev,

I actually did enter the Berliner Weisse, but feel that it's odd pitting the sour light delicate beer against the other (Belgian) sour beers, which are strong, flavoursome and robust. The Berliner has little to make it stand out, apart from being well-brewed and thirst-quenching, and met the style guidleines well (in my own modest and objective opinion :lol: ).

Seth out :D :p
[post="79899"][/post]​

I don't know what the BJCP's rationale was for moving Berliner Weisse from wheat to sour beers, but theoretically it shouldn't matter which category it sits in, as far as points a beer gets. In a practical situation like a competition, I think a Berliner Weisse should be judged before any other sour beers, because it is the lightest and most delicate of the bunch, and thats what usually happens. I believe it happened on the weekend.

Another complication is that the NSW competition combined a lot of categories due to the limited numbers of beers entered (only two sour beers). So the sour ones were judged with some Belgian and French ales (Wits, Saisons, Biere de Gardes). Again, in an ideal situation, those categories shouldn't matter. I think we get pretty close to the ideal situation in reality ;)

Berp.

Congratulations to all winners and place getters in the NSW comp. Good luck in the Nationals.
Barry, I WILL brew that Maibock one day!!

C&B
TDA

Latest posts

Back