Nsw Homebrew Competition 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you have a very good point there andrew, i would assume that the entry fee goes towards expenses such as the prizes,

sounds like a way for the comp to boost numbers to me...

Send ya beer to me, ill give you feedback for free

Ray_Mills said:
Andrew
If the $7 is your problem then don't enter your beers. I think the rules are quite clear without repeating them.
Ray
[post="74777"][/post]​

Actually Ray, my problem is not the $7.00 and I did state that it was your comp, and you had the right to run it as you see fit, I was just curious as to why out of staters could enter but not receive awards.
My post was not meant as a personal attack at you and I appologise if you took it that way.

Cheers
Andrew

Ray,
I may have read incorrectly but, are NSW comp bottles judged against BJCP guidelines or Aust guidelines. I don't see Aussie ale/lager in BJCP.
cheers
Darren

Ray,
I imagine there will be alot of *&ssed off kit brewers in your state. AABC have some ok guidelines that could be added to the BJCP.
cheers
Darren

Ok my go,

1. State Comp.........ie NSW not QLD yeah ! But you are most welcome to enter..
2. Kit brews ( send em in please ! )
3. Aussie Ale/ Lager ..........nup as Ray says not this time.

actuallyRay, my problem is not the $7.00 and I did state that it was your comp, and you had the right to run it as you see fit, I was just curious as to why out of staters could enter but not receive awards.

Well its not really Rays Comp, its a NSW comp.

However I do think it's a bit weak to take $7.00 entry fee from out of staters and not give them the benefit and glory of being able to hold up their first place prize to their family and friends!

Sounds like your bitchin about 7 bucks to get your beer judged to me ? you want a trophy or appreciation of the beer entered ?

Hi Ray,

Just wondering if you got a good turn out for the comp.

Thanks,
Wreck.

homebrewworld.com said:
Ok my go,

1. State Comp.........ie NSW not QLD yeah ! But you are most welcome to enter..
2. Kit brews ( send em in please ! )

actuallyRay, my problem is not the $7.00 and I did state that it was your comp, and you had the right to run it as you see fit, I was just curious as to why out of staters could enter but not receive awards.

However I do think it's a bit weak to take $7.00 entry fee from out of staters and not give them the benefit and glory of being able to hold up their first place prize to their family and friends!

[post="75478"][/post]​

Hi All,

There seems to be a fair bit of misunderstanding surrounding the NSW Comp. As the guy who wrote the rules, I thought that I should chime in.

The rules for this year's comp were a refinement of last years where we tidied up the definition of what constitutes a club and who should be able to take place awards.

The rational is that the "Best Brewer in NSW" or the "Best NSW Dark Lager" should go to a NSW brewer. This is the same approach taken in many other sports and hobbies. You may be the best snooker player in the world, but you cannot enter the state championships unless you live in that state.

I wonder how many people actually read the rules ? The actual wording is:

"While entries will be accepted and judged from any state, territory or country, only residents of New South Wales, Australia are eligible for the award of prizes."

There is no mention of qualification for the Nationals - they have their own rules, but as we are a recognised competition you can use your score and place to qualify for the Nats. What happens if a non-NSW brewer wins a place (say a 2nd) - easy, they are awarded a non-resident 2nd place and the 3rd place (overall) received the 2nd place (resident) award.

There also seems to be some confusion on the style guidelines being used. They are 'based' on the BJCP - not limited to the BJCP. If you refer to the entry form or the Style Categories (see http://nsw.craftbrewer.org/index.php?id=390) you can see that the traditional Aust. styles have been added. The way that our styles map to the AABA categories is also shown on the web page.

I hope that this has clarified the rules, but if not please ask away.

BTW, the $7 entry fee covers about a quarter the cost of running the comp. The remainder comes from the sponsors and the officials themselves (who pay for their own transport and accomodation).

Thanks
David

Hi
This years competition is looking good, most beers are in and we have 30 or so more beers than last year. Whats good is we have a lot of new brewers coming from a wider NSW base.
A lot of work has been going on in the background getting sponsors, organising judges and stewards and general helpers. Data entry, posting, the new web site info, the list goes on.
All this only happens from dedicated people how love the hobbie and we have to thank all the sponsors who put aside monies to make it all work.
It should be an exciting few days coming up, those who feel like they would like to show up and help, and have not contacted us please do so by the web page.
Cheers
Ray

Well I dunno Ray!!
Andrew wanted to go to Nationals and you wouldn't let him.
He's gone off and organised something with Kurtz & the club who have welcomed his money with open arms.
Turns out we could have happily taken his money,
drunk his beer, and (should he brew a half decent one) sent him on his way to
the Nationals anyway.

I hope the boys from the IBU's give you a bit of jip over this.

You'll have to spend more time selling jam to
make up for the loss to the club.

As the Brew Nazi would say,
NO BREW FOR YOU !!!

Warmest Regards,
Wad

(who BTW, also has trouble making any money)

Peter Wadey said:
Well I dunno Ray!!
He's gone off and organised something with Kurtz & the club who have welcomed his money with open arms.
the Nationals anyway.

NO BREW FOR YOU !!!

Warmest Regards,
Wad

[post="77317"][/post]​

Hi Peter,

In Rays defence he did offer to judge the Qld entries seperately from the NSW ones, but I felt that there was not enough time to organise it. I was also hopeful that last years organiser would come up with a satisfactory solution to the problem, but that was not the case, so the Canberra brewers volunteered to judge our entries with theirs, but to award National qualification seperately. seemed like an easy solution for all concerned.

Cheers
Andrew

Peter Wadey said:
Well I dunno Ray!!
the Nationals anyway.

NO BREW FOR YOU !!!

Warmest Regards,
Wad

[post="77317"][/post]​

MMEEEOOOOWWWW!!!!!

mmmmmmmmaybe enter the anawbs in adelaide.
does say national and i havent seen anything yet that says the other "nationals" is the ducks guts of beer comps in australia.is there any cohesion towards organising beer comps between states leading to the holy grail of best beer catergories in the country.
it all appears a bit adhoc in comps.
if a state/territory has no comp then who looks after them should they have people wishing to enter.? hardly national

food for thought.

cheers
big d

Linz/ Andrew,
Boys - it was a joke!
Don't worry about Ray, he knows me better than that.
I thought it would be obvious without the need for smiley 'clues'.

Nevermind,
Wad

PS You don't REALLY think that's how comp organisers view comps is it...just take peoples money, drink their p_ss and give them a worthless piece of paper to massage their egos, DO YOU?

I'm not expecting an answer to that one, either. :)

Late but there you go.

I actually challenge the idea of this 'Aussie Ale/Lager'. I know senior brewers of both CUB and Lion and they state to follow Bud. On further qualification, they both agree that all the major breweries worldwide follow Bud for their specs; such as bitterness, alcohol, residuals and colour. Bud's the international standard, make enough beer like both these breweries and why would you not?

So, the beers become 'International' rather than domestic. And i'd ask whats the problem here, not many HB'ers set out to create a VB, or do they? (i'd feel scared at that being true!)

And and Aussie Ale, a Lager with some esters more created from high gravity brewing that wanting a real ale. Do many folks have a de-oxigenator hanging around for the dilution water.... only if your got lots of Mullah...

So dont sweat it, its all akin to an international conspiracy... what is Orstatralian aint to different from a UK lager or one in Sth Africa....

///

Gentlemen
Who cares about styles, as long as it is the best beer that you can produce, then it is worthy of a run.
Now the most important thing that we can achieve as a group, and give us international recognition is to get Merc's Own to judge a brew comp. This would be a great advertisment for any comp. Look at what he has done for Dancing With The Stars!
C'mon Ray shout him an airfare. He will draw a bigger crowd than Wadey!
Cheers
Gerard

To clear up a few questions I have /// could you please answer the following:

Would beers such as Coopers Sparkling or Pale Ale be considered examples of Australian style Ale? Can we consider Boags Lager an Australian style lager?

I tend to drink these when I am out as they are the best of a bad bunch really.
Thanks
James

Latest posts

Back