Nsw Homebrew Competition 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,
The site used to be www.aaba.asn.au, however she's not responding.
I don't have any info on this years comp yet either.

Warren & Snow,
I have lost last years rules, but have 2003's in front of me.
There is nothing to say it has to be the same beer or equiv., only that the submitted beer must be in the same category. I think that was the story last year too. Nothing to say the rules haven't/ won't change.

Entries in the past have been due around late October. That pretty much rules out brewing a fresh batch anyway I think.

The brown I submitted to the NSW comp was made November last year...well past it's prime, still sorta drinkable, but not really National Comp stuff. Oh well.

Pete

OK

After about 50 emails and phone calls i have found out this............ here is the email i got sent.

Hi Tony,

I have just received the information from the Nationals so I can send the details back tomorrow.? Here is what I just received:

"The 'normal' web site for the AABC I believe is not functioning!?
However, our SABSOSA site, basic but functioning, has the guidelines we will be using for judging. Go to guidelines on sabsosa.com - entries are accepted from the top three highest scoring beers from each of the thirteen categories.? With scores no lower than thirty from a max of fifty points.

We will be judging on 22 Oct. at Coopers Brewery.

Entries should sent to 5 Ellis Ave., Eden Hills, SA 5050

Bottles should be 750ml, or two 375ml, min 600ml.

Label on bottles with name and style qualified.
Complete entries list with names, ph #'s, and addresses etc on .xls spread
sheet. Five dollars entry fee. Cheques made out to AABC.

well aparently the state organisers are suposed to send an Exel spreadsheet to the national organiseres and we just send our beer with the $5/entry.

but wait............. thers more.

noone seems to be talking and noone knows whats going on.

and its getting judged on the 22nd of october.............

i just love organised poeple.

I will send a couple of emails now and keep you all posted.

cheers

tony.

Tony said:
but wait............. thers more.

cheers

tony.
[post="80220"][/post]​

Sounds like someone should send and email to the Saviour Dr Kurtz and the Canberra comp converters.......just in case, of course

Tony said:
<chopped>

cheers

tony.

</chopped>
[post="80220"][/post]​
Tony,

I think that the entries need to be there soon, too. Do we have a date? :blink:

I haven't received my judging sheets and info for the Nationals yet (if it's included in the results package). :blink:

Do we have anyone on this forum who can put these details on the AHB calendar, please? or is it there, and I can't see it? :blink:

Seth

Weizguy said:

I haven't received my judging sheets and info for the Nationals yet (if it's included in the results package). :blink:

Do we have anyone on this forum who can put these details on the AHB calendar, please? or is it there, and I can't see it? :blink:

Seth
[post="80321"][/post]​

Surely not too soon - with a couple of State comps still to be judged?

Ross said:
Weizguy said:

Seth
[post="80321"][/post]​

Surely not too soon - with a couple of State comps still to be judged?
[post="80336"][/post]​
Ross,

It may well be too soon, as the comp is judged on 22 Oct, which is only 3 weeks away.

Doesn't leave much time for the State comps to be finalised.
However, the beers will have close to the same maturity as when judged at State level because of the brevity of time between State and Nat comps.

Seth :p

yep 22nd octoper as per my post.

I am just packing up my beers, putting a label on them and sending them with all my details including phone no.'s address etc and get them there asap.

there is not much more we can do..........there is no site. It will be judged as per the guidelines that were used for the SABSOSA

http://www.sabsosa.com/

cheers and good luck

tony

Oh and Weizguy

I think i might upset some people if they found out what was in my Aussie pale ale.

I seem to hear nothing but knocking of the good old POR from most......... exceptions to a few that believe in it.

Is as good as a t-bone on the BBQ on a summers day, only its in beer :beerbang:

cheers B)

Tony said:
yep 22nd octoper as per my post.

I am just packing up my beers, putting a label on them and sending them with all my details including phone no.'s address etc and get them there asap.

there is not much more we can do..........there is no site. It will be judged as per the guidelines that were used for the SABSOSA

http://www.sabsosa.com/

cheers and good luck

tony
[post="80612"][/post]​

So when's cut off Tony? - Not that I've got a qualifying beer or anything B) ...

not sure ross........... :blink:

They just told me that judging was on 22nd oct and to get the beers there wuick

I am posting mine on tuesday morning.

cheers

Thanks Tony for the details.

As I don't have internet at home at the moment, this all comes as news to me.
Will send my beer ASAP, but may miss the cut-off for arrivals.

Th NSW State championships is the first comp I entered this year, and it has led to an entry in the Nats.
In case anyone has been following my New Year resolutions, I have brewed a competitive beer, as I'd hoped.

Don't know much about my chances in the Nationals, as I had no more weizen backups in the fridge, and had to make an "equivalent" beer, so could be a bit green.

BTW, Tony... POR is 'the' iconic Oz hop, and is definitiely not out of place in any Aussie beer. There may be some tastier options, but none more authentic.

Seth out :p

Just got my results sheets in the mail and my Best Bitter I submitted came 4th in its category and there was a note saying this qualifies it for the Nationals :) Don't know if I'll send it in though... How far down the list of placings do they go for Nat qualification?? My other beer (Kolsch) didn't do so well though... :p

Shawn.

Hey Gough

Well DONE

I got my sheets back today too.

I got a 1 first, 2 thirds a forth and a fifth out of 5 beers. :D

My IPA cane 5th in its catagory and the results sheet says its eligable but from my corespondence with Mike Leupold, only the 1st 3 placed beers in each catagory AND scorring greater than 60% max points qualify.

I think the guys at the states got a bit confused and thought it was the top 3 / style OR scoreing 60%.

here is an email that mike says he sent to David regarding which beers qualify.

Sounds like there is a bit of a catfight going on but that is their problem.

Hi David,

As the present format, based on 13 categories, took over 9 years to develop,
we really must stick to it.
This format, covering over 60 beer styles, hasn't been altered for three
years!? Much vibrant discussion and colourful comment in the early years
were the basis of the classes and styles now used nationally - the general
consensus is that the current format though not perfect, works quite well.?

This doesn't mean it can't or won't be altered.? Proposed changes can be put
forward by State Delegates following the comp, in preparation for the next
year's qualifying rounds.? Ray Mills and Tim Thomas were names put forward
months ago as contacts for NSW. Though all correspondence I have sent to
other States re the AABC has included both Ray & Tim, we haven't heard from
either of them.

I'm afraid that the top three scores only, go through to the National.
That, unfortunately puts out Peter Wadey's? Brown Ale, Roland's Old Ale and
Mick Cousemaker's Old Ale.

Regarding beers entered in Cat 13 - the name of herb, spice or whatever,
particularly chilli that judges need to identify, should be clearly marked
on bottle label.
Judges do not see bottle, but this info is passed on to the judges.

Trust we remain on talking terms.

Cheers, Mike

This is what i says on the SABSOSA Site:

Entrants to the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship must first qualify by placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd (and scoring at least 60% of maximum points) at an endorsed State Championship. Brewers are then entitled to enter a beer in that Category in the AABC.

Well there you go :unsure:

thats all ive got.

I didnt send my IPA cause from the sounds of that it doesnt qualify.

cheers

tony

Bloody hell! :blink: What a saga...

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely won't be sending my beer now despite the sheet I got saying it had qualified... Think I'll wait for Bathurst next year...

Shawn.

Tony said:
Hey Gough

I think the guys at the states got a bit confused and thought it was the top 3 / style OR scoreing 60%.

here is an email that mike says he sent to David regarding which beers qualify.

Sounds like there is a bit of a catfight going on but that is their problem.

Well there you go :unsure:

thats all ive got.

I didnt send my IPA cause from the sounds of that it doesnt qualify.

cheers

tony
[post="81041"][/post]​

Tony,

It is a bit of a shame that you and Mike didn't check with me first before posting an email that I thought was private. You need to realise that this is an exremely rude (and illegal) thing to do. Can you please seek permission next time.

The situation is that there are a few written rules, and many verbal ones used by the AABA to determine eligibility. As requested by Mike I sent him a spreadsheet showing who had qualified once our placegetters had been re-sorted into the AABA categories. The email that you have published was his reply confirming that all were ok except for those mentioned - and these were unacceptable as this would mean that there were more than 3 entries from NSW appearing in those AABA categories. This is a verbal AABA rule as it is not actually written anywhere.

The situation Tony is that I have advised those beers that you have qualified to enter in the AABA Nationals, and Mike has confirmed their eligibility.

It is pretty poor form for you and others to dismiss this information as 'unsure' and 'a bit of a catfight'. It is your decision of course, but I have not been advised by Mike that your IPA didn't qualify - but there is still plenty of time for them to change their mind.

Good Brewing,

David

As far as I understand these rules the top 3 beers of each class in each state go through to the Nationals providing they score at least 60%.

So if you came 4th, 5th or even 10th with 60% you still don't qualify.

C&B
TDA

I reckon it's bloody poor form to have a competition for the champion beers of Aus so poorly promoted.
No-one seems to have much clue what's going on & the closing date virtually upon us...
This should be the No1 comp on the calander...

Now I'm completely confused :blink: The placings (1st, 2nd and 3rd) were posted online a week ago and neither of my 2 beers entered earned a top 3 placing. I hadn't thought about the Nationals or anything else for that matter and was awaiting my results sheets. First page in my results envelope that arrived yesterday was a note that reads and I quote:

"Dear Shawn,

The following entries have qualified for the National 2005 Australian Amateur Brewing Championships - congratulations!"

It then listed my beer and my score and an address to send the beer to with my $5 entry fee. Now does this not seem like a direct invitation to send my beer even though it came 4th??

Now please don't get me wrong. Comps are just a bit of fun to me and I am NOT busting a nut to get my beer in. Having not earned a place I just assumed I had not qualified in the first place. But why send me and presumably other brewers in a similar situation this invitation to submit beers if we indeed have not really qualified?? Does anyone have an answer here? Should people in our situation submit as invited (I AGAIN point out I am NOT pushing my beer where it isn't wanted here - as stated in my previous post I was thinking against sending anyway), or should we not submit despite the posted invitations?

This really is getting unnecessarily confusing I think. If someone has made an honest mistake can they just acknowledge such and give brewers in my position clear and unambiguous direction on whether or not to submit? Preferably a head comp organiser?

Thanks.

Confused :blink:

Shawn.

Gough,
As I see it (caveat)
The rules state that a beer must be awarded 1st, 2nd or third with a score of at least 60%of the total score ie: if the total score was 65 out of 100 and you are placed 1st, 2nd or third you can enter the national. if you place1st, 2nd or 3rd but only have a total of say 50% of the total score then you don't qualify. Same thing goes if you place 4th with 60% you don't qualify.

It is not up to the State organisers to decide what consitutes a qualifying entry, that is set out by the national organisers and state organisers cannot nominate an entry if it does not meet the requirements. Unfortunately this confusion has come about by a lack of information by the national organisers and as Ross said it has been very poorly promoted with not much info for brewers to be able to work out what they are entitled to enter.
I hope for your sake and the other brewers sakes that you will still be able to enter the comp given the circumstances and I wish you luck and hope you place well.
I emailed the organiser of the nat comp last week in regards to some more national details but have not received a reply as yet, if I do i will let you know the results.

here is an extract from the document and a link.
"Entrants to the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship must first qualify by placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd (and scoring at least 60% of maximum points) at an endorsed State Championship. Brewers are then entitled to enter a beer in that Category in the AABC" http://www.sabsosa.com/pmwiki.php/Main/GuideLines

Cheers
Andrew

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
As far as I understand these rules the top 3 beers of each class in each state go through to the Nationals providing they score at least 60%.

So if you came 4th, 5th or even 10th with 60% you still don't qualify.

C&B
TDA
[post="81103"][/post]​

Sorry, but this is not the rules as we have brewers who came 2nd and 3rd in NSW being excluded from entering the Nationals. I agree with you that this is how I read the scant published information, but the AABA organising committee has chosen to interpret it differently.

David

Latest posts

Back