Nsw Amateur Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done HUBs in advance for what I know will be a well run event - but can you change the dates please. :rolleyes: Unavailable that weekend. :icon_cheers:

Well done HUBs in advance for what I know will be a well run event - but can you change the dates please. :rolleyes: Unavailable that weekend. :icon_cheers:

Ditto. My football team have done the right thing and looks like we won't be playing in the finals this year. But I'm working both days of the weekend, so can't make it unfortunately.

I have a couple of beers worth entering though.

Heads up to anyone considering entering, we're reaching the 3 week mark until entries can be dropped off. Possibly a good time to get cracking on that last minute hefeweizen or APA, and force carbing it!

Also a heads up to anyone considering judging/stewarding/helping out this year.
We're going to be commensing up the judging on the Friday, the 26th of August.

This being the case, we can hopefully get everything out of the way by Sunday, leaving any out of towners a whole day to enjoy the sites of the beautiful Hunter Valley, and plenty of time to get home.
If you're available on the Friday and keen to help, give us a bell!

I have a noob question or 2 about the entry form (1st time I have filled one out...)

The form calls for a "Bottle Cap ID", do we just dream one up on our own, or is it for organisers to determine?

The bottle labels call for a "Class" and a "Class Description". Is this supposed to be the Category and sub-category?
ie: Class = 4 and Class Description = Amber & Dark Lager?

Confused <_<

I am thinking of entering a couple of beers for the first time, was just wondering how it all works on the day? Is it just judging that takes place at the brewery and a piss up? How many people usually turn up? :icon_cheers:

Have never entered a comp before and was wondering if a single long neck is appropriate? I noticed that it mentions two rounds of judging so would I need to provide two long necks?
Cheers

Have never entered a comp before and was wondering if a single long neck is appropriate? I noticed that it mentions two rounds of judging so would I need to provide two long necks?
Cheers

Direct from the pdf on the HUB website... "Each entry is to be a minimum of 2 x 330 ml bottles (or equivalent) to provide sufficient samples for two rounds of judging."

Direct from the pdf on the HUB website... "Each entry is to be a minimum of 2 x 330 ml bottles (or equivalent) to provide sufficient samples for two rounds of judging."

Yeh, I figure one long neck has the required volume but my concern is that these two rounds of judging will be at different times? Even with a pet screw top I'd prob want two separate bottles?

It seems that the second bottle will be required if your beer wins it's category. It would then be judged against all the other category winners for "Beer of Show"

I have a noob question or 2 about the entry form (1st time I have filled one out...)

The form calls for a "Bottle Cap ID", do we just dream one up on our own, or is it for organisers to determine?

The bottle labels call for a "Class" and a "Class Description". Is this supposed to be the Category and sub-category?
ie: Class = 4 and Class Description = Amber & Dark Lager?

Confused <_<

My guess would be that as each entry should be wrapped around each bottle and attached with an elastic band, in the event that the label becomes detached from the bottle in transit (relevant when sending in more than one entry), the label can be married back up to the correct bottle through the bottle cap ID.

As far as the class and class description goes, I think you are correct. It would be the same as the Cat number and Cat description.

Im happy to be corrected though!!

Cheers

Cheers

Yeah I was wondering this also. I am reading it that a 700ml PET bottle (which I use) is equivalent to a minimum 2 x 330ml bottles. So I guess they will recap the PET bottles, and save half if required for the second round of judging. If PET bottles are opened and quickly recapped they would lose a minimal amount of carbonation over the course of the judging period.

Not sure what would happen with a glass longneck with a crown seal though. Some clarification on this one might be of assistance?????

Cheers

My guess would be that as each entry should be wrapped around each bottle and attached with an elastic band, in the event that the label becomes detached from the bottle in transit (relevant when sending in more than one entry), the label can be married back up to the correct bottle through the bottle cap ID.
That's a fair assumption, my problem is, what should the ID actually be? I'm assuming a random 3-digit number would be fine, but unless the number is unique it could lead to a whole new problem.

I have a few entries ready and one late one clearing up a bit in the fridge before i carb her up :)

Its been a lot of years since i had a crack at the NSW comp...... and im really liiking forward to getting some feedback on my beers!

I dont really have access to any of the drop off points though.......so....... maybe i will enter :unsure:

Think I'll enter a couple of bottles.
Never entered a comp before.
Guess the worst that can happen is they tell me my beer tastes like shit.

Never heard that before! :icon_cheers:

That's a fair assumption, my problem is, what should the ID actually be? I'm assuming a random 3-digit number would be fine, but unless the number is unique it could lead to a whole new problem.

I would keep it simple and label the bottle A and put A in the "bottle cap ID" box for the corresponding entry for that beer, next one label B and so forth. That way you are using letters and all other details should be numbers for cat and style numbers on the entry form. I think thats what I might do unless im told otherwise..

Cheers

Think I'll enter a couple of bottles.
Never entered a comp before.
Guess the worst that can happen is they tell me my beer tastes like shit.

Never heard that before! :icon_cheers:

They wont tell you it tastes like shit but if there are any faults they will usually pick them and list them for you..... which is always valuable information to use to improve your brewing.

Some people read the judge feedback for the praise of a good beer.......... i read them for the feedabck on problems if they are present so i can improve.

This for me is the main attraction of enterng comps....... the feedback, good or bad from a trained person.

The other thing to remember is that the beers are not judged on which tastes best...... its all about which is brewed closest to style, they still have to taste good but the main thing is brewing to style for competition!

cheers

Yeah I was wondering this also. I am reading it that a 700ml PET bottle (which I use) is equivalent to a minimum 2 x 330ml bottles. So I guess they will recap the PET bottles, and save half if required for the second round of judging. If PET bottles are opened and quickly recapped they would lose a minimal amount of carbonation over the course of the judging period.

Not sure what would happen with a glass longneck with a crown seal though. Some clarification on this one might be of assistance?????

Cheers

Best to enter 2 bottles if you can manage it.

Usually the stewards will pour the entire bottle into a jug (less the trub) then take it to the judging table to serve into sample cups. The bottles are then discarded at the end of the flight.

Judging will be split over 2 days with BOS round coming at the end of the second day. AFAIK there are no facilities for saving/re-capping/storing opened entries.

If you only enter one bottle, there will be nothing to judge for BOS if you make it thru :( .

Cheers

Well that throws a spanner in the works. Means i will have to send in two 700ml PET bottles per entry (double the weight and close to double freight) to be in contention for BOS. bugger. Most of my entries are bottled and ready to send! May have to forfeit my chances ( albeit slim) of jagging BOS.

Cheers

HUB

Can someone reply to my emails.

Im happy to come and help steward but if Im going to take a day off work for it I need some details such as times and if there are any accomodation arrangements as I will be coming from Sydney.

I have sent emails last week to the HUB email listed and PM some people from this thread but no response.......

Cheers

Ben

I would keep it simple and label the bottle A and put A in the "bottle cap ID" box for the corresponding entry for that beer, next one label B and so forth. That way you are using letters and all other details should be numbers for cat and style numbers on the entry form. I think thats what I might do unless im told otherwise..

Cheers
Well ok then. I just hope we don't enter the same style of beer, because if the fates conspire and there's a huge rubber band failure, we'll have identical codes.

Latest posts

Back