Now I Know What It Is Like To Make A Good One

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonez

Reaction score
Had done four batches (half can each time) and each time changed a bit of something. Not having all the equipment/bottles meant I needed to brew small amounts, but wanted to achieved success before I felt discouraged.

Well, in my fist attempt with Coopers Draught, I think I made something nice. My first was BITTER, wich was quite drinkable (all gone now) but I was not happy with the style. My draught does not have a lot of alcohol on it, and I guess it makes it something easy to drink ( which is what I was looking for) 1.034 -1.006 = approx 4.2%

I used sugar, dex and LDME in equal proportions (volumes) and Bulk primed with dextrose. Ended up dropping some East Kent Goldings dry hops after one day in the fermenter ( maybe 3 to 5 g on 12 L)

It has been in the bottles only for ten days. I could not wait and put one in the fridge today, when I opened it, it did not seem to have a lot of gas(CO2) but I was surprised at how good the head was and the taste is incredible. I may not know yet how good this can get, but it is already better that VB, XXXX, Cascade, etc..

Did not even have problems with the yeast. It seemed to be solidly stacked in the bottom of the bottle so I dis not waste much of it. And I drank a couple more after that...only a little thing there..the body seems a bit heavy(quite filling) but I guess I am drinking it too early. Other than that it's all very good!! I am happy with this one... what else is better but as easy to brew as this??

This comes at a good moment, because I just put another draught, with proper yeast and better hoped, but it seemed a bit sour the day I bottled it. That was almost going to mean me giving up. I thought I did everything better that in the previous, but it is the previous batch that has rewarded my efforts.

Nice work Jonez. Have a read about the partial mash method. You can pretty much do it on your stove top without using anything other than what you've already got in the kitchen. You'll be amazed at the step-up in quality.

My first partials were kits, from Dave's Homebrew in North Sydney. I expect your local HBS might have something similar.

Cheers
Rich

+1, try adding some steeped specialty grains, etc.

You shall keep making better beers and enjoy it more.

Then it will become an obsession... ;)

Well done Jonez-y. Glad to hear you have nailed it.

but it is already better that VB, XXXX, Cascade, etc..
Of course it is better... You made it yourself, it has body and taste and what more it's at the right price

...it seemed a bit sour the day I bottled it. That was almost going to mean me giving up. I thought I did everything better that in the previous, but it is the previous batch that has rewarded my efforts.

Don't ever give up mate you are already there. I have made some outstanding shockers, mainly K&K, that caused me to lick the toilet bowl to rid the taste but that's half the fun of brewing and experimenting. Now on to partials, and I am never ever turning back.

Bye the bye the sour taste might go away in the conditioning but it might pay to give your gear a thorough sanitizing and clean before your next brew just in case you have some nasties contaminating the taste.

Good luck and lets us know how that other batch turns out.

Cheers

Chappo

thanks everyone for your comments,... not sure about partial mash yet,, just would like to make a few of these first, get good at it.. and then see..

just don't know how much of this result has to do with the hops and how much to do with the malt....but i don't think i want it maltier or "hopier" than this. :p .. or maybe I do.

not sure about partial mash yet,, just would like to make a few of these first, get good at it.. and then see..

No need to jump straight to the partail mash straight away, although the results are well worth the effort. Go with what raven has said and try steeping some specialty grains. It is an easy simple step that adds a lot to the flavor of yor beer. Doing this you will find you can also drink them earlier
I have had that sour taste with the coopers draft when using LDME. I have found that it does improve with some time in the bottle.
Get yourself some more bottles so that you can let them age a little. Now just keep brewing.

Cheers
Gavo.

gavo said:
Get yourself some more bottles so that you can let them age a little. Now just keep brewing.

Cheers
Gavo.

will do. I had been given 25 crown type 750 ml bottles and some more 330ml bottles. I have now enough bottles to run two batches at a time. I got a few friends collecting for me. But I guess I find myself drinking the beer faster than I had imagined. Until now I have been more a spirits than a beer person, but with this heat it is easy to finish your batch faster than you can brew it.

You need to drink them faster so that you can improve your brewing skills. :p

Cheers
Gavo.

You need to drink them faster so that you can improve your brewing skills. :p

Cheers
Gavo.

I think I had gathered that.. just having this one now! hot here in Brisbane today!!
the femme is at the supermarket, I just call her and asked to pick up a lager kit.

yvans_draught_001.jpg

+1, try adding some steeped specialty grains, etc.

Steeping grains is the way to go or do a biab style 'mash' with around 1 Kg of base malt and your specialtes of choice. Get some voile cloth or cheesecloth to fill a pot. Dump the grain inside the cloth and fill with 2.5:1 water to grain raito. Heat to 64 degree's and let sit at this temp for 1 hour. Top up with water as high a it will fill in your pot. Then heat to 75 deg and simply pull the bag out.

you can then boil this liquor/wort with any hops of your choice or add to your kit. You must boil this liquor to ensure it kills all nasties asturally present on the grain as well.

www.howtobrew.com for great explanations on partials and steeping.

Welcome to the addiction!

Yeah mate get the kits under your belts and give some extracts a go and finally get into AG. The results are awsome and its not as hard as you would think. If you have a friend that brews all grain tag along on brew day or check out youtube as there are alot of "How to" videos on there. Glad to hear your enjoying your brew ^_^

Latest posts

Back