Not Scared Of Many Things...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much everyone I have met in the US is piss-scared of even the tiniest spider. I don't even think they have any spiders really worth worrying about... probably the worst is a white tail.

Hobo spider, recluse or fiddleback spider, black widow (very close relative of our redback) and possibly an occasional visit from a Brazilian Wandering spider/banana spider.

Only the last too are possibly deadly- as with the redback, the black widow will not kill a healthy adult. Wandering spider is the most toxic in the world next to the sydney funnel web.

Nah, he's right, manticle. You should see them jump over shit smaller than a money spider. It is pretty hilarious.

Not entirely related but this reminds me of the first time SWMBO came here from the States. We were around at a mate's place and he was showing us a (torturously long) video of his 4x4 trip around the cape. In this video a mate of his is dragging a 2 meter long python by the tail. She's staring at it terrified so I get a bright idea - I say to my mate "Bloody hell! That thing is huge. At least twice as big as any snake I've seen in my backyard!" She went white as a ghost and I couldn't even let the joke go on because I could see she was ready to walk to the airport.

I have no doubt they're chicken shit about spiders. We do have an amazing collection of dangerous creatures here and it is funny sometimes to see how superscared visitors to the nation can be. Along with the funnies and reds we also have the mouse spider, adelaide trapdoor, barking spider, salt and freshwater crocs, great white, hammer head, tiger shark, bull shark, box jellyfish, sea wasp, blue ringed octopus, cone fish, stone fish, scorpion fish, Taipan, copperhead, brown snake, death adder, red bellied black snake, South Australians and Ivan Milat.

Hell even I'm scared of South Australians.

I have no doubt they're chicken shit about spiders. We do have an amazing collection of dangerous creatures here and it is funny sometimes to see how superscared visitors to the nation can be. Along with the funnies and reds we also have the mouse spider, adelaide trapdoor, barking spider, salt and freshwater crocs, great white, hammer head, tiger shark, bull shark, box jellyfish, sea wasp, blue ringed octopus, cone fish, stone fish, scorpion fish, Taipan, copperhead, brown snake, death adder, red bellied black snake, South Australians and Ivan Milat.

Don't forget our Tiger Snake, beautiful animal and deadly.

I'm with you there too

trekkies.jpg

Actually I quite like spiders, find them fascinating. Strange how a spider (funnel web) that evolved on a continent with no primates should be so poisonous to us and not bother cats at all. Redbacks are I believe pretty much harmless, well you wouldn't want your kids to play with them, but an adult needn't be too worried.

InCider, nice Carpet, had one living in the horses feed shed for a couple of years, isn't amazing how domesticated they become, almost friendly.

Anyway just to upset Arachnophobes everywhere here is the monologue by Vincent Price introducing the Alice Cooper classic to "Welcome to my nightmare".

Leaving lepidoptra - please, don't touch the display, little boy, aha cute!
Moving to the next aisle we have arachnida, the spiders, our.. finest collection.
This friendly little devil is the heptothilidi, unfortunately harmless.
Next to him, the nasty licosa raptoria, his tiny fangs cause creeping ulcerations of the skin *laugh*.

And here, my prize, the Black Widow. Isn't she lovely?.. and so deadly.
Her kiss is fifteen times as poisonous as that of the rattlesnake.
You see her venom is highly neurotoxic, which is to say that it attacks the central nervous system causing intense pain, profuse sweating, difficulty in breathing,
loss of consciousness, violent convulsions and, finally.. death.
You know I think what I love the most about her is her inborn need to dominate, possess.
In fact, immediately after the consummation of her marriage to the smaller and weaker male of the specie she kills and eats him - *laugh* oh, she is delicious.. and I hope he was!
Such power and dignity - unhampered by sentiment. If I may put forward a slice of personal philosophy, I feel that man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented child-king long enough!
And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor!

You forgot the bird-eating spider up north.

You forgot the bird-eating spider up north.

No mate that's the barking spider (also known as the whistling spider). Endangered and rare as far as I understand - pet trade doesn't help.

To South Australians: Until you can prove to me that this is not a documentary, based around events on the Yorke Peninsula, I will remain respectfully terrified of all and sundry

The-Hills-Have-Eyes-2-Disc-Edition-B00009V7QM-L.jpg

No mate that's the barking spider (also known as the whistling spider). Endangered and rare as far as I understand - pet trade doesn't help.

To South Australians: Until you can prove to me that this is not a documentary, based around events on the Yorke Peninsula, I will remain respectfully terrified of all and sundry

The-Hills-Have-Eyes-2-Disc-Edition-B00009V7QM-L.jpg

I look a bit like that!! :lol:

2 or 3 14' to 16' carpet snakes live in the bottom shed. A 12' one lives in the ceiling of the house (with no cornices, so often needs pushing back up there where he won't give the family the screaming heebies). Death adders all through the garden, blacks, browns, small eyed and tigers make regular appearances. Sorta puts the spiders into perspective, but they do give me the willies too.

It's a never ending chore relocating snakes around here, and the spiders keep eating my chooks.

snake_bar.JPG

Batz

Seeing everyone is showing off their snake rustling skills...

8523_164078405457_581115457_3257355_6064208_n.jpg

Why guinea pigs should be afraid of snakes... nom nom nom....that's 'Nicky' inside Mr Snakey.

14834_168850055457_581115457_3297434_6544729_n.jpg

When I was in the middle east I was deathly afraid of coming in contact with one of these suckers

camel_spider0.jpg

just looking at them gives me the shivers.

cheers

Browndog (not talking about the yanks har har)

Back