Not Scared Of Many Things...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell even I'm scared of South Australians.

yep - we all come from snow town - come to sa and you will go home in a barrel!

:lol:

Back On Topic, I regulary find redbacks under the lips of my large Hop Pots - I exercise caution with suitable gloves when moving the pots.

Personally I am not a fan of spiders or snakes, no doubt from watching too many scary movies on the tv, rather than actual life experiences.

I know around where I used to live - semi rural close to Brisbane, redbacks seemed to get anywhere and everywhere.

Strangest place I ever encountered one was inside a car door under the skin while I was knocking a dent out. %$@ knows what there is to eat inside a car door, but there it was...

Batz that Brown on the back step is awesome! How often would that happen?

This one's for you, T.B!
I was just getting my little girl out of the bath, grabbed a towel off the rack and this big sucker was sitting on the wall behind the towel...too close for me. I don't really need to say what happened to this one (sorry Manticle)
This is the biggest whitetail I have seen. Just the idea, all be it unsubstantiated, of necrosis is enough for me to dispose of these little buggers.

Cheers and beers!
John.

whitetail_2.JPG

whitetail.JPG

This one's for you, T.B!
I was just getting my little girl out of the bath, grabbed a towel off the rack and this big sucker was sitting on the wall behind the towel...too close for me. I don't really need to say what happened to this one (sorry Manticle)
This is the biggest whitetail I have seen. Just the idea, all be it unsubstantiated, of necrosis is enough for me to dispose of these little buggers.

Cheers and beers!
John.

View attachment 43036

View attachment 43037

Shouldn't you be asking how they get in your home and eliminating the problem, I'd be shitting myself if I knew those things were in my house.

cheers

Browndog

Shouldn't you be asking how they get in your home and eliminating the problem, I'd be shitting myself if I knew those things were in my house.

cheers

Browndog

The thing is, we had the outside of the house and inside the roof sprayed for spiders about 3 months ago....I hate these things.

I'm pretty sure Whitetails are harmless to humans (our place is full of them)
I've seen a few articles saying that they hunt other spiders.
I'll try and find the links and post them.
On the other hand, our cars and sheds are full of Huntsmen, which i know are harmless, but freak us out anyway when you're driving on the freeway, and they're running around inside. Brrr!

The thing is, we had the outside of the house and inside the roof sprayed for spiders about 3 months ago....I hate these things.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/White-tailed-Spider

I'm pretty sure Whitetails are harmless to humans (our place is full of them)
I've seen a few articles saying that they hunt other spiders.
I'll try and find the links and post them.
On the other hand, our cars and sheds are full of Huntsmen, which i know are harmless, but freak us out anyway when you're driving on the freeway, and they're running around inside. Brrr!

Necrotising arachnidism isn't necessarily a myth - it's just that that MJA study (probably the most comprehensive to date as far as I'm aware) suggests the white-tail may have been inadvertently/incorrectly blamed.

It is very likely that the fiddleback/recluse - spider may be responsible (or one spider type that is). Other candidates include the black house spider which I can see a logic for - some black house spiders display white or grey markings on the abdomen and one of the white tails' main sources of food are the black house spider. Wolf spider is another suggested candidate.

Other suggested causes are enzymes they have picked up from feeding on other spiders as I don't believe toxicology reports show anything in the white tail venom itself.

Necrosis in Australia may relate to causes other than spider bite - not that much is known here if and what spiders can cause this but the aformentioned fiddleback (mainly limited to the Americas) is one. How many misattributions have occurred in its case (similar to white tail here) is unclear and there are other causes of necrotic lesions that are not spider related. Furthermore necrosis in cases of confirmed recluse spider happens only in a small number of cases.

Interesting if mildly horrific.

Spiders are Ok with me

Pythons are OK, but hate them browns and Taipans

But if you really want to freek me out, just wave a needle & syringe at me and I am gone..

VB also has the same affect :)

Spiders are Ok with me

Pythons are OK, but hate them browns and Taipans

But if you really want to freek me out, just wave a needle & syringe at me and I am gone..

VB also has the same affect :)

I spend a lot of time outdoors. On my small property, in the Glasshouse Mountains and the Blackall Range wherever. I've see a few snakes up here in QLD and a few in NSW on the Northern Beaches where I grew up (GO MANLY!), a few in Orange where I went to School too. I saw those Bird Spiders in PNG, spiders all over the place.

When I'm sleeping rough (Case Swap or climbing mountains) I never give the snakes or creepy crawlies a second thought - apart from precautions like checking your boots, never leaving your swag open etc.

But after years of work travel change when I move to QLD... I near shit myself in a plane now! :rolleyes:

Overcoming-Fear-Of-Flying.gif

Very interesting read, Dan and Manticle. It's going to be hard to let the whitetail off my list though...

Back