North Brissy Ag Brew Day - All Welcome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sully,
sound good mate. I'm at the point of thinking about going partial/mini-mash eventually to AG and would be keen to see your brew day in action. I have been taught by my brother in Melbourne how to AG brew, so not completely cold on that. I am keen to get to know some other brewers in SE Qld although I am a fair way from ya I live in Boonah. If I came would be a 2hr drive at least, so would have to also come for the brewing not so much drinking.

My latest development has been getting a Growarm thermostat regulator for an old fridge I acquired. Means I know have a controlled fermentation enviro. Am trying my hand at cold conditioning an ale at about 4c at the moment, well see how it goes. Am also keen to move to doing my extract SG brews at full wort boil so looking at getting a 50L pot (managed to see one at Mitre 10 for $80!), burner and plan on building an immersion chiller.

Would be interested to know where you are planning on sourcing your grain from? I know that Chapel Hill Brewers Choice (in Brisy) sell grain as well as White Labs Liquid Yeast.

Happy brewing.

Brett

Bretto, there are four of us in Ipswich doing AG, I generally brew on a friday arvo, not sure about the other boy's, but you would be welcome at my place or any of the others. Infact I did a brew yesterday and had Bonj and new Ipswich boy, The Scientist around.

cheers

Browndog

Bretto, there are four of us in Ipswich doing AG, I generally brew on a friday arvo, not sure about the other boy's, but you would be welcome at my place or any of the others. Infact I did a brew yesterday and had Bonj and new Ipswich boy, The Scientist around.

cheers

Browndog
Hey Brownie, I would like to come and spectate in one of your brewdays if thats ok with you. I just need a few days heads up.

Cheers

Sully

Hey Brownie, I would like to come and spectate in one of your brewdays if thats ok with you. I just need a few days heads up.

Cheers

Sully

No worries Sully, might be able to give you a couple of tips on welding too, though I consider myself a birdshit welder. Nothing a 4" angle grinder can't fix. Just gotta get back into the swing of work then we'll set a date hey.

cheers

Browndog

Sully,

If you can find the time during your brewday to get your welder out I will give you a few tips.

Browndog,

Those Sevilles next door must be nearly ripe by now (?) ;) . Can an old sod attend a brewday at your place?

TP :beer:

Sully,

If you can find the time during your brewday to get your welder out I will give you a few tips.

Browndog,

Those Sevilles next door must be nearly ripe by now (?) ;) . Can an old sod attend a brewday at your place?

oddly enough there arn't any ripe oranges on the tree at all Pete, I don't know what is going on with it. There appear to be some small greens ones. I'm not planning any more weekend brew days in the near future mate and it would not be worth your while coming down for a few hrs on a friday arvo. I'll let you know next time there is going to be a saturday brew day mate.

cheers

Browndog

If a couple of Ipswich Guys come up you might be able to car pool with them.

I got my grain from Craftbrewer <Insert plug here>. Ross and the guys know their product, a huge range and its all fresh and also jolly good chaps to boot.</plug> - no affiliation though

Good luck with your projects and hope go well. Keep us updated.

Cheers

Sully
Hi Sully,
I'm curious have you managed to make an immersion chiller? I've been looking around at copper tube and looking at least $56 for 12m of 12mm pipe. Have you managed to do any better than that? Also what have you made your mash/lauter tun out of? I hear converted cooler/eskys are good.

Recon I will be able to make it down there to see your brew day, (used to driving to Brisy a fair bit living in Boonah). Keen to meet local Brisy brewers that wanna get serious, too many tight arse farmers out here who wanna do cheap extract with white sugar (yuck!!). Have worked my way through the Brewcraft Kits and looking to step it up a bit in process and quality.

Of course I would be in need of your address which I'm sure youre not keen to publically advertise. Do you wanna email me it? For have you got better ideas?

Cheers
Brett

cheers

Browndog

Hi Browndog,
that sounds like a very tempting invite which I would be very keen to take you up on! Ipswich only 30mins drive so your a lot more local. I'm also a teacher on holidays at the moment so please let me know your next brew day and I'll be keen. Also interested where you source your grain from? I only know of Brewer's Choice at Yamanto which only really does extract.

Cheers
Bretto

Hi Browndog,
Also interested where you source your grain from? I only know of Brewer's Choice at Yamanto which only really does extract.
Cheers
Bretto

From the nearest of the above sponsers Bretto. No affiliation, etc. :lol:
Get into it mate. You can't go wrong with the Ippy brewers. :super:
Or the ones that used to work at the Workshops. ;)

Hi Sully,
I'm curious have you managed to make an immersion chiller? I've been looking around at copper tube and looking at least $56 for 12m of 12mm pipe. Have you managed to do any better than that? Also what have you made your mash/lauter tun out of? I hear converted cooler/eskys are good.

Recon I will be able to make it down there to see your brew day, (used to driving to Brisy a fair bit living in Boonah). Keen to meet local Brisy brewers that wanna get serious, too many tight arse farmers out here who wanna do cheap extract with white sugar (yuck!!). Have worked my way through the Brewcraft Kits and looking to step it up a bit in process and quality.

Of course I would be in need of your address which I'm sure you're not keen to publically advertise. Do you wanna email me it? For have you got better ideas?

Cheers
Brett
Hi Brett,

Not going down the immersion chiller path at this stage, going down the "No-Chill" path instead. Have a read about itHERE and if that doesn't work (although doubt it won't) I will go for one of these Chiller Plate HERE instead.

Originally, I was going to use a 75L and 50L SS pot as a Mash Tun and insulate it, until I came accross a 60L "Keep Cool" round esky for $100. Snapped it up quickly so that will now serve as my double batch/heavy beer Tun. Will be kitted out with a 12" SS false bottom and fittings. I bought a 33L Willow rectangular unit which I will kit out as a single/small batch Tun with a manifold false bottom.

You're welcome to come along, if anything it will prolly be a comedy of errors on my behalf, but live and learn. Will PM details when it gets closer to the date.

Hi Browndog,

Also interested where you source your grain from? I only know of Brewer's Choice at Yamanto which only really does extract.

Cheers
Bretto

I can't speak from Brownie, but I get mine from Craftbrewer (sponsors link on top of page). Pretty sure he would too.

Cheers

Sully

Not really in the market yet Sully but where did you find that? My 32 litre mash tun is on the way out. :(

Pure luck TP - "Down Under Camping" in Moorooka when I was passing through. Originally $140 but it was old stock and they reduced it the day before I walked in. The only other price I saw on the same unit was about $160 at "Great Outdoors Camping" at Morayfield and $180 at the local hardware in Old Narangba.

GOC also have the 38L round for $80ish IIRC.

Slightly off tangent, but Down Under Camping in Enoggera have good prices on alot of stuff. I sourced a burner (4 ring on stand for $80 plus reg) and SS pots from there and were alot less than anywhere else I found - no affiliation but worth giving a heads up.

Cheers

Sully

Pure luck TP - "Down Under Camping" in Moorooka when I was passing through. Originally $140 but it was old stock and they reduced it the day before I walked in. The only other price I saw on the same unit was about $160 at "Great Outdoors Camping" at Morayfield and $180 at the local hardware in Old Narangba.

GOC also have the 38L round for $80ish IIRC.

Slightly off tangent, but Down Under Camping in Enoggera have good prices on alot of stuff. I sourced a burner (4 ring on stand for $80 plus reg) and SS pots from there and were alot less than anywhere else I found - no affiliation but worth giving a heads up.

Cheers

Sully

The Enoggera shop still has a few at $99 Pete (run-out price), I got one for Xmas :).

Hi Brett,

Not going down the immersion chiller path at this stage, going down the "No-Chill" path instead. Have a read about it HERE and if that doesn't work (although doubt it won't) I will go for one of these Chiller Plate HERE instead.

Originally, I was going to use a 75L and 50L SS pot as a Mash Tun and insulate it, until I came accross a 60L "Keep Cool" round esky for $100. Snapped it up quickly so that will now serve as my double batch/heavy beer Tun. Will be kitted out with a 12" SS false bottom and fittings. I bought a 33L Willow rectangular unit which I will kit out as a single/small batch Tun with a manifold false bottom.

You're welcome to come along, if anything it will prolly be a comedy of errors on my behalf, but live and learn. Will PM details when it gets closer to the date.

Just wondering how your gonna kit out the false bottom? Do you buy the part or make it. Just curious with mash tuns my immersion chiller will be expensive enough. From what I have read and herd I would be a bit worried about not getting a cold break without a chiller they say it seems to be important.

Cheers
Brett

I can't speak from Brownie, but I get mine from Craftbrewer (sponsors link on top of page). Pretty sure he would too.

Cheers

Sully

I will be getting one of THESE as the false bottom for the round esky (Tomorrow hopefully :super: - Ross you better have one aside for me ;) :p )

If you are trying to save a few $$ have a search for 'SS Braid' as a falsie. Lots of members use them and have had varying degrees of success, although I dont recall ever reading about anyone having major problems at all.

As for the 'No chill method", as far as I can see it, its the ford/holden type argument - which one are you? There are those that do it say they don't notice any difference. I won't get into any sort of argument as I don't really know enough about it. For me its just the convenience.

:icon_cheers:

Still looking good for the 31st Sully? Hows that brewery coming along.

Cheers Brad

Still looking good for the 31st Sully? Hows that brewery coming along.

Cheers Brad

Still looking good....

Brew and mill stand is all thats left to get done. The mill stand is the priority which should hopefully be by the end of the weekend - fingers crossed.

Cheers

Sully

Still looking good....

Brew and mill stand is all thats left to get done. The mill stand is the priority which should hopefully be by the end of the weekend - fingers crossed.

Cheers

Sully

Hi Guys,

Well, it's not looking good for next weekend unfortunately to pop my AG cherry :( , so if you were coming along for the ride I will have have another date sorted in the next few weeks. A few commitments have popped up and reared there ugly heads (work - the other 4 letter word & SWMBO) which has delayed me getting things sorted, plus not getting the damn welder when it was supposed to get here put me another week behind :angry: .

Thanks for the interest & advice thus far.

Cheers

Sully (goes and quietly sobs in the corner with a Carlton Midstrength he had to bum off a neighbour)

Sully,

As you know from my PM I have had to drop out next weekend due to the dreaded "Relly's Virus" & I wish to publicly apologise for that.

Fortunately for me (With the grain bulk buy collection next Saturday) I have persuaded the missus to collect her dreaded relations from Roma Street Station & to take them for a cuppa whilst I gather my grain at CraftBrewer thus killing two birds with one stone as it were. :super:

Have you read my latest PM?

Sully,

As you know from my PM I have had to drop out next weekend due to the dreaded "Relly's Virus" & I wish to publicly apologise for that.

Fortunately for me (With the grain bulk buy collection next Saturday) I have persuaded the missus to collect her dreaded relations from Roma Street Station & to take them for a cuppa whilst I gather my grain at CraftBrewer thus killing two birds with one stone as it were. :super:

Have you read my latest PM?

TP,

PM sent. Thanks anyways, its all good.

Cheers

Sully

Latest posts

Back