North Brissy Ag Brew Day - All Welcome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

mmmmmm...... BEEEER
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have set myself a date to pop my cherry into the realm AG Brewing and if anyone would like to come along for the ride, virgins or experienced, are quite welcome and have a beer or 2 at the same time.

The Details:

DATE: Sunday 1st Feb 2009 (Firm but pending if I still haven't got everything together)

TIME: 1.00pm Dough in

CONCOCTION: "Cherry Popper" Oatmeal Stout (Double Batch) - going the safe route for the first time :p

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/02/2009
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 24.61 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: My Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.29 %
Bitterness: 33.8 IBU
Calories: 679 cal/l
Est Color: 84.0 SRM

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.25 kg Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (6.3 SRM) Grain 45.45 %
1.00 kg Oats, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 20.20 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt Pale (Bairds) (500.0 SRM) Grain 10.10 %
0.50 kg Crystal Malt Medium (Bairds) (145.0 SRM) Grain 10.10 %
0.25 kg Barley Roasted Malt (Bairds) (1350.0 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
0.25 kg Carapils Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
0.10 kg Barley Flaked (Bairds) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.02 %
0.10 kg Black Malt (Bairds) (1350.0 SRM) Grain 2.02 %
25.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
25.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (40 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
25.00 gm Cluster [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale (Wyeast #WY1084) Yeast-Ale

Total Grain Weight: 4.95 kg

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body
Sparge Water: 12.79 L
Sparge Temperature: 78.0 C
Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 12.36 L of water at 77.3 C 70.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 4.41 L of water at 93.7 C 75.6 C

Cut down the volume to 15L to fit equipment (top up to 20L at fermenting stage)

Fly Sparge

No Chill

Think that covers everything?? Anyquestions or critique is welcomed. Hope to see a few come along.

Cheers

Sully

Damn, I'll probably be in Sydney around that exact time having a few cold ones with some of the lads down there. We'll raise our glasses to you at the Lord Nelson or the James Squire bar or wherever we end up :super:
Trust that the day will go well and may your mashes never set :)

Hi All,

I have set myself a date to pop my cherry into the realm AG Brewing and if anyone would like to come along for the ride, virgins or experienced, are quite welcome and have a beer or 2 at the same time.

The Details:

DATE: Sunday 1st Feb 2009 (Firm but pending if I still haven't got everything together)

TIME: 1.00pm Dough in

CONCOCTION: "Cherry Popper" Oatmeal Stout (Double Batch) - going the safe route for the first time :p

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/02/2009
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 24.61 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: My Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.29 %
Bitterness: 33.8 IBU
Calories: 679 cal/l
Est Color: 84.0 SRM

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.25 kg Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (6.3 SRM) Grain 45.45 %
1.00 kg Oats, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 20.20 %
0.10 kg Barley Flaked (Bairds) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.02 %
0.10 kg Black Malt (Bairds) (1350.0 SRM) Grain 2.02 %
25.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
25.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (40 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
25.00 gm Cluster [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale (Wyeast #WY1084) Yeast-Ale

Total Grain Weight: 4.95 kg

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body
Sparge Water: 12.79 L
Sparge Temperature: 78.0 C
Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 12.36 L of water at 77.3 C 70.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 4.41 L of water at 93.7 C 75.6 C

Cut down the volume to 15L to fit equipment (top up to 20L at fermenting stage)

Fly Sparge

No Chill

Think that covers everything?? Any questions or critique is welcomed. Hope to see a few come along.

Cheers

Sully

Thats on hell of a cheery popper SUlly, Good luck, let us know how it goes. :eek: :)

Good luck on the big day Sully and you might want to half some of the speciality malts. At the moment you have over 30% and that will result in a high FG. I would look at removing the carapils completely as you already have heaps of unfermentables for body. Also half the choco, crystal, roast barley and replace it with the BB ale malt. A good rule of thumb is to only have 15% of the grain bill as speciality malts.

And its probably a mistake but check your mash temps, do your sac rest at 65C and a mash out (if youre going to do one) in the high 70s (78C is the goal for fly boys).

Cheers
Jye

Good luck on the big day Sully and you might want to half some of the speciality malts. At the moment you have over 30% and that will result in a high FG. I would look at removing the carapils completely as you already have heaps of unfermentables for body. Also half the choco, crystal, roast barley and replace it with the BB ale malt. A good rule of thumb is to only have 15% of the grain bill as speciality malts.

And its probably a mistake but check your mash temps, do your sac rest at 65C and a mash out (if youre going to do one) in the high 70s (78C is the goal for fly boys).

Cheers
Jye

Done - thanks.

This is the Prarie Oatmeal Stout recipe in Beersmith modified to suit what is available at CB. I didnt change the qtys greatly, just rounded up to the nearest 0.10kg.

I went off the default temps in Beersmith too. fixed that now.

Cheers

Sully

:D

From what Ive seen of the Beersmith recipes they are generally crap :(

+1

Yes, I'm not sure where their so called recipes come from, but some are absolute shockers....be carefull Sully, you'd be much better going with a well rated recipe out the AHB database, or from a decent recipe book.

cheers & good luck :)

Ross

hmmmm....

I wasn't overly confident on the hops schedule. The grains are on par with most others I have seen now that they have been adjusted as per Jyes suggestion.

Suggestions?

It can be a bit hoppier as I will be gassing on nitrogen which mellows the bitterness.

Cheers

Sully

PS - the second batch I was going to throw in 2 cups of mildly brewed coffee and a couple of tablespoons of Cocoa just before fermenting.

How far are you from Narangba Railway Station Sully?
Train timetable on the North Coast Line is r#tsh#t on Sundays.
Any chance of changing it to Saturday?
Perhaps others to the north may wish to attend if they could get a train home?

TP :beer:

How far are you from Narangba Railway Station Sully?
Train timetable on the North Coast Line is r#tsh#t on Sundays.
Any chance of changing it to Saturday?
Perhaps others to the north may wish to attend if they could get a train home?

TP :beer:

Burpengary Station is closer. No probs in pickup/drop off as its still a bit far to walk - about a 6 pack trip by foot.

Just thinking about it, I will change it to Saturday 1st and a 10am Dough in (firm but still pending all the equipment has been gathered which I will confirm closer to the day) as well just in case of hiccups etc.

Cheers

Sully

Thanks for the offer Sully, Id like come. Ive no AG experance and would like to see first hand. Willing to help out and as I cant get public transport home Ill have to drive and limit intake but could also help others in need of a lift etc.
Rats, thems the breaks ay. Six months ago I lived at Burpengary. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Pete - shall we get the train together mate? I'm assuming you'd go from Landsborough. If you do, let me know and I'll meet you beforehand for a few VB Mids :lol:

I'll have a look closer to the date at the timetable after the trackworks are completed. The timetable is a shocker on a sunday as you said.

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks for the offer Sully, Id like come. Ive no AG experance and would like to see first hand. Willing to help out and as I cant get public transport home Ill have to drive and limit intake but could also help others in need of a lift etc.
Rats, thems the breaks ay. Six months ago I lived at Burpengary. :icon_cheers:
Daz
Dont know if you will learn anything, but it still should be fun :eek: :D whats the saying - blind leading the blind... :eek:

I just realised that my calendar on my 'puter was fkd up so I had wrong dates.

It will be on SATURDAY 31st JAN 2009 10am Dough in.

Sorry Guys.. damn 'pooter

hmmmm....

I wasn't overly confident on the hops schedule. The grains are on par with most others I have seen now that they have been adjusted as per Jyes suggestion.

Suggestions?

It can be a bit hoppier as I will be gassing on nitrogen which mellows the bitterness.

Cheers

Sully

PS - the second batch I was going to throw in 2 cups of mildly brewed coffee and a couple of tablespoons of Cocoa just before fermenting.

I'd like to get up there but i've got a feeling my other half will be working and babies
can't look after themselves :rolleyes: i'll see closer to the date but will try.

OT but can you use any nitrogen? i've got a bottle used for welding applications but not sure if it is suitable for beer.

OT but can you use any nitrogen? i've got a bottle used for welding applications but not sure if it is suitable for beer.

It has to be food grade and blended with Co2. I use BOC Multimix blend, I think its 70% Nitrogen & 30% Co2, cant get to the cylinder to check atm.

Cheers thanks for that, i've always been a bit suss to use it, shame though it's a big bottle :(

I just realised that my calendar on my 'puter was fkd up so I had wrong dates.

It will be on SATURDAY 31st JAN 2009 10am Dough in.

Sorry Guys.. damn 'pooter

Hi Sully,
sound good mate. I'm at the point of thinking about going partial/mini-mash eventually to AG and would be keen to see your brew day in action. I have been taught by my brother in Melbourne how to AG brew, so not completely cold on that. I am keen to get to know some other brewers in SE Qld although I am a fair way from ya I live in Boonah. If I came would be a 2hr drive at least, so would have to also come for the brewing not so much drinking.

My latest development has been getting a Growarm thermostat regulator for an old fridge I acquired. Means I know have a controlled fermentation enviro. Am trying my hand at cold conditioning an ale at about 4c at the moment, well see how it goes. Am also keen to move to doing my extract SG brews at full wort boil so looking at getting a 50L pot (managed to see one at Mitre 10 for $80!), burner and plan on building an immersion chiller.

Would be interested to know where you are planning on sourcing your grain from? I know that Chapel Hill Brewers Choice (in Brisy) sell grain as well as White Labs Liquid Yeast.

Happy brewing.

Brett

Hi Sully,
sound good mate. I'm at the point of thinking about going partial/mini-mash eventually to AG and would be keen to see your brew day in action. I have been taught by my brother in Melbourne how to AG brew, so not completely cold on that. I am keen to get to know some other brewers in SE Qld although I am a fair way from ya I live in Boonah. If I came would be a 2hr drive at least, so would have to also come for the brewing not so much drinking.

My latest development has been getting a Growarm thermostat regulator for an old fridge I acquired. Means I know have a controlled fermentation enviro. Am trying my hand at cold conditioning an ale at about 4c at the moment, well see how it goes. Am also keen to move to doing my extract SG brews at full wort boil so looking at getting a 50L pot (managed to see one at Mitre 10 for $80!), burner and plan on building an immersion chiller.

Would be interested to know where you are planning on sourcing your grain from? I know that Chapel Hill Brewers Choice (in Brisy) sell grain as well as White Labs Liquid Yeast.

Happy brewing.

Brett

If a couple of Ipswich Guys come up you might be able to car pool with them.

I got my grain from Craftbrewer <Insert plug here>. Ross and the guys know their product, a huge range and its all fresh and also jolly good chaps to boot.</plug> - no affiliation though

Good luck with your projects and hope go well. Keep us updated.

Cheers

Sully

Latest posts

Back