Normal carbonation for kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovemebeer

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging and in the scheme of things still fairly new to brewing. I have been looking into carbonation and like leaving my beers for a good week. can someone tell me at what psi I should keep the beer and for how long as a general rule. Mostly brewing ipa, apa and pilsners occasionally. Thanks for helping out the novice!!

Hey man,
if it helps at all I whack my fresh kegs on at 12 psi for a week or so and it goes ok. I also brew ales.

Depends on the temperature you are keeping your keg at and how carbonated you want it.

Go to http://www.yeastcalc.co/keg-carbonation-calculator and fill in the boxes.

Pommy beers are generally carbs to about 2.0 volumes of co2, your more common beers like American Pale ales and lagers etc around 2.5ish volumes and up to about 3.0 volumes for wheat beers and Belgian beers. If you are brewing American versions of the styles you mention, go for about 2.5 volumes.

Having entered that in the calculator at 4 degrees you are looking at 12 psi (80kpa).

sorry guys just asking another novice question. once pressurising the keg and sticking it in the fridge, can you disconnect the gas connect to turn the psi down to my pouring pressure? i only have one co2 bottle

Lovemebeer said:
sorry guys just asking another novice question. once pressurising the keg and sticking it in the fridge, can you disconnect the gas connect to turn the psi down to my pouring pressure? i only have one co2 bottle
If you mean you have carbed it up over a couple of days at higher than pouring pressure, yes you can disconnect the gas. Disconnect the gas, purge the keg then reconnect the gas after you have turned the regulator down.

Cheers mate , Meaning as soon as I filter the beer into the keg, place it in my fridge and pressurise it to say 10psi, can I disconnect then and leave it sit for a week? Or will that pressure be absorbed by the beer after a day or so, therefore having no pressure unless I connect it back to the co2

Keep it connected. I set my pressure gauge at 12psi. For 5 days minimum to drinkable for any beer and keep it connected. That's it. Sometimes that makes a certain style of beer too carbonated (getting half a glass of head etc) then you just disconnect that beer, release its pressure/ or just let it dissipate while getting big head. Pour that beer until you cant pour it anymore (too slow) then connect and pressurize enough just to pour a glass. If over carbonating is too much (a common newbie experience), then patience/ release all pressure each day, or shake the keg then release pressure. Its a learning experience and new to it is common to over correct. Patience is best.
Hope that helps. :unsure:

Lovemebeer said:
Cheers mate , Meaning as soon as I filter the beer into the keg, place it in my fridge and pressurise it to say 10psi, can I disconnect then and leave it sit for a week? Or will that pressure be absorbed by the beer after a day or so, therefore having no pressure unless I connect it back to the co2
Pressure will be absorbed.

Back